Classic Mini Talk Interested in the Classic Mini? Discuss the Classic and its variants here!

how to secure quarterlight window seals?

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2012, 07:12 PM
jeffm5150
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
how to secure quarterlight window seals?

Hey all --

Anyone have a suggestion on how to keep the rear quarterlight window seals from falling off when the windows are vented open? I recently opened the windows and the passenger side seal has fallen off at the top and back.

Honestly, it may be time to buy some new ones but I thought I'd ask first before I forked over some $$ on new seals.

Maybe spray adhesive or silicone? Whatever the solution is, it needs to be able to handle 150 degree temps here in Arizona.

Thanks!

Old 07-14-2012, 07:11 PM
Capt_bj
OVERDRIVE
Received 281 Likes on 237 Posts
often the best way to prompt suggestions is for someone to take a stab, that everyone else can say NOOOOOOOOO to. So here's my stab:

IME seals like this don't use any glue - they are made tight fitting that grip by friction. Added glues just mean a mess down the line when you replace 'em again. So I'd say order new and discover if they grip with no help.

I have not gone out to my 79 to check, but my seals do not droop and I've never seen any glue residue around them (I HAVE done work in the area like painting the headliner) I do not believe there is glue {I've owned the car for 8 years}

But, if you want to try the glue route - in my working days I was around salt water and electronics for 30 years. We used silicone A BUNCH. A good quality product will handle your heat, no problem and would be the thing I'd try

'cept .... I WOULD go new seal first....

my problem is one of the quarterlight latches is worn out, so the window won't stay open - wind pressure pushes it closed. Short of replacing the whole damn thing I don't see an easy fix (there is a spring buried in there somewhere). But I AM thinking of drilling a very small hole allowing me to pin the hinge open. BTW, the other side works great and the open quarters do help mid summer Florida heat!

Old 07-15-2012, 07:18 AM
jeffm5150
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I did think about the problems that glue would create, and seeing that I will likely be painting the car in the next few years I would like to avoid those issues. Yes, a new set of seals is in order.

Speaking of loose hinges, I think this is an extremely common problem. I have successfully fixed a loose hinge (not mine unfortunately) by squeezing the top and bottom of the hinge with big pliers. Another fix is to bend the inside hinge arm with more of a radius so that the hinge will lock into place better. I even went as far as to replace the hinge itself by removing the window from the frame (major PITA that I wouldn't recommend) and installing a different hinge. Unfortunately that didn't really fix the problem in my case.

Old 07-15-2012, 08:28 AM
MINIdave
6th Gear
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Working strictly from ancient memories, it's possible that where the seal slips over the flange there is a metal insert in the seal, you migh try carefully squeezing it together before pushing it back up on the flange.

Other than that I'd simply buy new seals.

if you're going to try glue, I'd use 3M weather strip adhesive rather than silicone, simply because you can clean it off again with adhesive remover. Silicone is much harder to get off.......much much much harder.......

A close up pic of the seal might help......