Classic Mini Talk Interested in the Classic Mini? Discuss the Classic and its variants here!

Looking for a classic Mini as project car?

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2012, 04:47 PM
Ignigena
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Looking for a classic Mini as project car?

I've been looking for awhile for a classic Mini as a project car. Something that doesn't really run, needs some work, but not half rusted away.

I've been searching eBay as well as keeping an eye out on Mini Mania but all I'm finding are good condition ones that are fetching an appropriate price. Meanwhile I'm seeing some perfect contenders over in the UK for the sub $1K range but I'm guessing to deal with the hassle of shipping to the States I may as well not even bother.

Any suggestions on where to find a classic Mini in need of some good TLC?

Old 05-16-2012, 04:54 PM
Capt_bj
OVERDRIVE
Received 282 Likes on 238 Posts
but all I'm finding are good condition ones

that's what the seller says .... ha ha ha

Old 05-16-2012, 05:24 PM
Gizmo
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Don't bother with UK cars...customs will be a real pain if you aren't looking for a running car.

Look on here for a good start http://www.minimania.com/Cars4Sale_list.cfm

Old 05-16-2012, 05:41 PM
Capt_bj
OVERDRIVE
Received 282 Likes on 238 Posts
I don't agree that Customs will be "a pain"

but you'll pay as much or more to ship a $1000 shell......

Old 05-16-2012, 05:42 PM
Gizmo
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I mean that the process is more than it needs to be if he were to get it from the UK when there are cars in the US. But yes the shipping will be outrageous.

Old 05-16-2012, 05:55 PM
jeffm5150
4th Gear
How long have you been looking? I had similar requirements when I was looking and it took over 6 months before I found exactly what I was looking for. I did have to expand my searching from locally (Phoenix AZ) to CA,NV,NM,TX and CO. Oh, and I found mine through the MiniMania cars4sale list that JohnW posted above.

Keep looking ... something will fit your bill eventually.
Jeff

Old 05-24-2012, 04:50 AM
Ignigena
2nd Gear
So I was able to find a good candidate car, but as my experience restoring classic Mini's are zero I thought I'd check with you fine folks and see if it's a good deal or if it will be a money pit.

Seems to be in good condition and seller has offered $1,000 for the shell (subframe, steering, brakes, wheels) plus glass, bonnet, doors and boot. It looks like the floor will need to be replaced as it's a bit rusty and the brakes may need some work. The wheels are in good shape but the tires may need replaced as well.

Thoughts?

Old 05-24-2012, 02:53 PM
TA2DMAC
3rd Gear
Check Craigslist. There are two in my area, one a convertable.
You'll get a lot of new MINI's pop up but the ocasional Mini will pop up too.
Also check for any british car clubs in your area such as MG, Triumph or even new MINI clubs. Always seems to be someone in the group that either has or knows of a Classic.

Old 05-28-2012, 07:14 AM
Kenningtons
3rd Gear
Please add your location to your profile. That helps!

Craigslist may be a good source, as well as a want to buy ad.

Good luck!

Old 05-28-2012, 05:17 PM
CLM
1st Gear
Yeah I second that profile update statement. I have one I am currently doing some metal work on and planning to sell it afterwards, It won't need any major metal replacement aside from the nose panels battery box and rear valance. It's an early shell with a clear 1962 title. It will likely come with suspension units, seats to refinish, rear and rear quarter glass, some what rusty boot lid and doors, fuel tank and strap, lhd steering rack. It will likely not have the rear pockets or inner b pillars installed as it has some minor massaging to do to the quarter panels, but it will include the removed panels in good condition. The big problem with the shell I dont currently have the skills to fix is the botched deseaming of the rear seams, however I have a whole donor rear panel from an equivelent shell that has the affected area in good shape.

Price? I am not sure at the moment, and it is on the Oregon coast.

Chris

Name:  60-1.jpg
Views: 535
Size:  101.2 KB

Name:  workingoncrossmemberrh.jpg
Views: 513
Size:  166.2 KB

Old 08-18-2012, 02:26 PM
Ignigena
2nd Gear
Thanks everyone for your help and suggestions!

Just thought I'd update everyone that I just took delivery of a '69 Leyland Mini 1000 that has had some partial restoration work done to it already. Still a bunch more work to go but I'm excited to start tackling this thing.

Took a photo next to it's big brother, my 2008 Cooper S. Never thought my Mini would look so large!

Attached Thumbnails Looking for a classic Mini as project car?-dsc07996.jpg  
Old 08-18-2012, 09:33 PM
TA2DMAC
3rd Gear
Congrats on finding a Mini. I know how exitied I was when I got mine not long ago.

I see a few things that indicate it was a Canadian Mini and possibly built on or after 1974.
The big hole in the front wing support is for the heater hose, which didn't become available until 1974. Also no external hinged doors and your rear side windows can open with the latch at the back of the window.The bulky side running lights only came on Canadian Mini's. Also Prior to 1974 It would have been an Austin Mini.

Often Mini's made in the mid to late 70's and newer were rev-vinned as 69's to get around emissions and saftey standards. I see them all the time on ebay listed as 69's and they are usually MKIII's or newer.

Knowing what you have will help when it comes to ordering/finding parts. Not trying to burst your bubble, just trying to help educate. I hope to see more pics and progress. Always good to see another Mini on the road.

Old 08-19-2012, 06:39 AM
Ignigena
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by TA2DMAC
Congrats on finding a Mini. I know how exitied I was when I got mine not long ago.

I see a few things that indicate it was a Canadian Mini and possibly built on or after 1974.
The big hole in the front wing support is for the heater hose, which didn't become available until 1974. Also no external hinged doors and your rear side windows can open with the latch at the back of the window.The bulky side running lights only came on Canadian Mini's. Also Prior to 1974 It would have been an Austin Mini.

Often Mini's made in the mid to late 70's and newer were rev-vinned as 69's to get around emissions and saftey standards. I see them all the time on ebay listed as 69's and they are usually MKIII's or newer.

Knowing what you have will help when it comes to ordering/finding parts. Not trying to burst your bubble, just trying to help educate. I hope to see more pics and progress. Always good to see another Mini on the road.
Not bursting my bubble at all! Thanks for the info.

The seller had listed it as a '79 Mini but the title had listed it as a '69 so I assumed that was the correct info. Very interesting about them getting re-VIN'd.

This guy was def a Canadian Mini. Still some rust spots to tackle and repair but I'm looking forward to learning and doing.

Old 08-19-2012, 07:14 AM
TA2DMAC
3rd Gear
I have a 78 Canadian, so when I saw the pic it didn't quite add up.

The re-VIN thing was and still is something to watch for when buying older cars or collectable editions. It can cause a lot of headaches down the line. Fortunately the seller advertised it as a 79. If he had advertised it as a 69 and sold as such, he could face fraud charges.

Fortunately the car is over 25 now so emmisions and such are a non-factor.

Old 08-31-2012, 04:26 PM
Ignigena
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by TA2DMAC
I have a 78 Canadian, so when I saw the pic it didn't quite add up.

The re-VIN thing was and still is something to watch for when buying older cars or collectable editions. It can cause a lot of headaches down the line. Fortunately the seller advertised it as a 79. If he had advertised it as a 69 and sold as such, he could face fraud charges.

Fortunately the car is over 25 now so emmisions and such are a non-factor.
Actually, emissions won't be a problem at all. When she's done she won't have any emissions.