Classic Mini Talk Interested in the Classic Mini? Discuss the Classic and its variants here!

QuarterLight window frame rivets?

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2010, 05:22 PM
jeffm5150
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
QuarterLight window frame rivets?

Hi everyone -

I have a quarterlight window frame that has some odd hinge that isn't original. I have procured a replacement hinge and am in the process of replacing the old with the new. I've removed the frame from around the glass so that I could remove the old hinge.

Question: How do I rivet the hinge to the frame so that the inside of the rivet doesn't touch the glass once reinstalled? The original rivet that I drilled out was a low profile rivet (see first attachment). I need to attach the hinge to the frame (see second attachment). If I don't have luck finding the same type of rivet, what do you think about soldering the two pieces together? Other than soldering, I'm a little stumped. It's possible that the hinge won't move once the frame is tightened around the glass, but I'm not sure I want to risk it.

Any advise would be greatly appreciated.

Jeff

Attached Thumbnails QuarterLight window frame rivets?-img_2621_small.jpg   QuarterLight window frame rivets?-img_2622_small.jpg  
Old 08-27-2010, 08:46 AM
Capt_bj
OVERDRIVE
Received 281 Likes on 237 Posts
you're probably constrained by what tools you have available but I'd not think soldering would hold. I'd give it a real quick stab with a wire welder ... if you have TIG skills I'm sure it would be easy. With a MIG, I'd probably put a copper backer against the hole and work it like a simple plug weld from the outside very carefully - then grind away any excess with a dremel and polish the heck out of it....

Old 08-28-2010, 07:25 AM
jeffm5150
4th Gear
I can't weld stainless steel, so my MIG is not helpful here. I was able to use the nipple from a 1/8" aluminum pop rivet. I cut it down in length, then used a punch to pean it into place. It worked OK but after 3 hours of trying to install the frame on the glass the rivet came out. I will probably have to try a steel rivet.

Thanks for the advice.
Jeff

Old 08-28-2010, 08:22 AM
MINIdave
6th Gear
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
If you can MIG weld mild steel, you can MIG weld stainless, it doesn't behave any differently, I do it all the time. You need to go buy a small spool of stainless wire, and you're supposed to use just argon, but you can get a nice weld just using MIG mix too. Be careful with your heat, you need to turn it up a bit but you don't want to burn thru. I would trust a weld done this way more than any hand applied rivet, even if you do peen it over well. Do it just like Capt BJ wrote.....with a copper backer.

Good luck, and show us how you end up fixing it.

Old 08-28-2010, 09:31 AM
jeffm5150
4th Gear
I guess I should have said that my MIG is not set up for SS welding. Yes, I know that it can weld stainless and chrome-moly, but I only have the mild steel wire. No problem. Thanks for the info though.

And yes, I will post once I get resolution on this project. The hardest part, as it turns out, has not been the hinge mount but actually getting the frame installed back onto the glass. Major pain. I was able to get Rover glass frame gasket which should help with the installation. Then I promptly bent the frame this morning.

Jeff