Classic Mini Talk Interested in the Classic Mini? Discuss the Classic and its variants here!

Long Term Storage of Classic

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2009, 11:26 AM
womble
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Long Term Storage of Classic

May be headed overseas for several years next summer. Unfortunately will not be able to bring the Classic Mini with us. Researching my storage options. Thoughts? Checklist? Thanks. tw

Old 08-10-2009, 11:32 AM
ALTA_Jarid
5th Gear
Several years is a tough one....Will anyone be avaliable to look after the car? I would definitely say buy one of those air chambers to keep the car at a median temperature!
http://www.marquisautorestorations.com/air_chamber.htm
I dont know how long Stabil works in fuel....Might be worth taking ALL the gas our of the tank and maybe even out of the float bowl. If the mini is going to be sitting for an extended period of time you will probably have to rebuild the carb anyways... At the least get a good battery tender to keep it charged up!

Last edited by ALTA_Jarid; 08-11-2009 at 08:22 AM.
Old 08-10-2009, 11:57 AM
Latka
5th Gear
http://www.dccarcare.com/tipowk/tipowk15.html

They advise *not* putting the car on jack stands as it will cause the suspension to droop.

(edit)
" Do NOT put your car on jack stands or blocks under the frame. This lets the suspension droop and puts the springs and bushings in an unnatural state. If you want to prevent flat spots on tires (not a problem with modern radials anyway) support the car at the outermost points of the suspension so the springs and shocks/struts are in a natural state. Be sure to keep tires (remember the spare) at the correct air pressure and try to keep them away from electric motors or high heat."

Old 08-10-2009, 12:36 PM
ALTA_Jarid
5th Gear
LOL Youre right! I guess the "old school" way was to jackstand the car...back in the day when tires weren't what they are now...

Old 08-10-2009, 12:40 PM
malteseracer
4th Gear
Personally, I would say to probably have a close family member look after it in addition to whatever you do to store it maybe have them drive it to work once a week or something if you don't drain the fuel and everything.

Old 08-10-2009, 01:29 PM
Minimad
6th Gear
Use some Marine Stabil in the fuel system to eliminate the ethanol (attracts water).

I'd look at how marine engines & boats are stored for solutions....
http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs...-CheckList.htm

Change the oil & filter, use an oil stabiliser, mist some oil on the cylinder walls. Change the radiator fluid with fresh antifreeze (or just drain completely)

Use some CRC 6-56 (not WD40) on the exterior of the motor and elsewhere to prevent corrosion.

Put plastic sheet under car to keep condensation off the bottom of the car esp on concrete floor. Maybe some dessicant bags in the interior. Cover. Prevent vermin from entering (squirrels & mice).

Old 08-10-2009, 01:29 PM
Latka
5th Gear
Originally Posted by ALTA_Jarid
LOL Youre right! I guess the "old school" way was to jackstand the car...back in the day when tires weren't what they are now...
Were your tires solid rubber over wooden spoke wheels?

I like the little dolly things that hold each tire on casters. That way you can wheel the car around if needed. Last time I checked though those things are kinda expensive - $400 or so for 4.

Old 08-10-2009, 01:58 PM
qskapunk
3rd Gear
i bought 4 dollies at Farm & Fleet for like $80 total ($40 for 2)

Old 08-10-2009, 02:04 PM
ALTA_Jarid
5th Gear
Originally Posted by Latka
Were your tires solid rubber over wooden spoke wheels? .
LOL no my dad had a 64 nova in his shop on stands for the longest time. He said if bias ply tires sat for toooo long they would tend to separate and get flat spots..

Old 08-11-2009, 05:07 AM
womble
2nd Gear
Thanks for the ideas. I have family that could and would look after it, but the closest choices do not have a garage and I don't want the car sitting outside in the weather. Ideally I would have someone I trust with a garage drive it once a week. Need to do a survey of the family and close friends to see who may have room.

Old 08-11-2009, 10:31 AM
LIL PIGG
3rd Gear
My uncle used a storage locker to store a car in. It worked out pretty good. How about a wood shed, just put it in someones back yard.

Old 08-11-2009, 08:43 PM
Latka
5th Gear
I like the idea of keeping it off the ground / concrete though. Anything to keep moisture off the bottom of the car (like the plastic sheet on the ground) is probably a good thing. I've never stored a car for years at a time, and I hope I never have to.

I would kill for a garage. We've only got a carport here in Hawaii right now, and my '66 S and my SPI cars are continually needing to be washed off. Better than having them out in the sun / rain / wind though I guess.

One day I'll get my little Man Cave Car Storage Area.

Old 08-12-2009, 08:11 AM
tr6drvr
2nd Gear
Plastic sheet underneath. Mothballs in the engine compartment, in the interior and scattered under the car to keep the mice and squirrels from setting up housekeeping and chewing your wiring, carpets and seats. Fill fuel tank to top to minimize condensation of water and put Stabil in the gas. Inflate tires +5 over standard pressure. Disconnect battery (you will need to recharge on return or replace). Squirt some marvel mystery oil into each cylinder. Cover the car.

On return: Pour a bottle of Techron into your gas tank. Check all fluids. Check tire pressure. Squirt some Marvel into cylinders again . Leave off the spark plugs and turn over engine until oil pressure comes up (if you have a guage) or for about 15-30 seconds if you don't. Replace plugs. Start it up.

Old 08-12-2009, 09:12 AM
MINIdave
6th Gear
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Change the oil and filter and let it run a bit, shut off and pull the plugs and squirt some oil in the plug holes, then crank it over a bit to srpead it around and put the plugs back in. I would drain the radiator and block too, failing that put fresh new coolant in and run it for a while.

After three years the gasoline will be garbage no matter what kind or how much additive you use, so I'd recommend you drain the tank and run the car till the fuel pump and carbs are dry too.

Remove the battery, you'll be buying a new one in three years anyway unless you leave it on a battery minder - but I wouldn't take the chance that it could short and start a fire - batterys are cheap - comparatively.

I would get the car up off the ground as noted above, the higher the better. Depending on the current condition of the car and the place it'll be stored, if there's ventilation you don't need to worry about covering the concrete floor. Those "Carcoons" are a great idea, but they require electricity to run the fan 24/7. Keeping the vermin out is absolutely important, whether you use traps, bait or whatever. The most important thing is where it will be stored, if it's a clean, tight, low moisture place and there's lots of activity it'll help keep the vermin away and the car protected.

Good luck!

Old 08-15-2009, 04:16 PM
womble
2nd Gear
Thanks for all the inputs. Great stuff here. The plug got pulled on us for the overseas trip for at least three more years, so hopefully I'll get to ask the question again in 2012.