Classic Mini Talk Interested in the Classic Mini? Discuss the Classic and its variants here!

European Road trip in a '93 Mpi

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2009, 01:29 PM
Venno
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
European Road trip in a '93 Mpi

So I'm planning a European Road trip with my friend next week. We plan on taking my '93 1.3l Mpi cooper from Prague to Champagne region of france, Paris, London and Finally MINI United. Although My MINI is in great working Condition, I'm wondering what tools/spare parts i should bring for emergency repairs. Also, since I'm from the States and not familiar with Europes version of AAA, who would I call for repairs if i broke down in lets say Germany or France or England? I was thinking that since I work for a well known compact construction vehicle company as a Design Engineer I could fall back on calling dealers and seeing if they could help me out, but relying on them is a backup plan. Any comments or suggestions are appreciated, thanks

Old 05-06-2009, 07:10 PM
Minimad
6th Gear
The UK has the RAC and AA similar to the AAA in the US. They likely are EU-wide. There's probably similar organizations on the continent.

I'd search the internet for Mini clubs in the areas you are going to visit. They would be the best resource should you run into any major mechanical trouble. Especially for referrals for parts/service. But, unlike the US, mechanics in the EU have seen Minis before...

I'd carry a cell phone, a roadside assistance plan, basic tools, oil, H2O. I'd PM the car before leaving by oil change, tune-up, check tires & alignment, check brake linings and fluids, check all belts and hoses & replace as needed.

Old 05-06-2009, 09:28 PM
dimini
6th Gear
Sounds like a great adventure. I'd love to be tagging along! As for tips on extra parts or tools, don't ask me because I'd tell you to instead, save the room for bringing back lots of champagne. Nothing better than fresh cheese and too much champagne (not while driving, obviously). If time permits, I'd attempt to meet up with some of the local mini club members and make real life connections with folks you'd otherwise only write to on forums.

Take a camera and shoot pictures. I'd love to see a travelogue on NAM.

Old 05-07-2009, 05:29 AM
ImagoX
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
If it's a carbed Mini then just bring the usual: spare points, Fix-a-Flat (unless you know your spare is in good shape), spare fuel line, radiator line repair kit (aka duct tape), spare spark plugs, fuses, extra oil, extra coolent and a basic tool kit with sockets, screwdrivers, vice grips, pliers and the like. I would run through the maintenance checklist in the Haynes book, just to be sure that all your fluids are fresh and that everyhting that can be adjusted (brakes, clutch, etc.) are adjusted - the car will be under long periods of stress. I'd also be 100% sure to check the coolent level after every meal or longer stop (to give it time to cool) and to check the oil level at every gas stop.

Others here may recommend more specific fix items for things that have happened to them, but that's a pretty basic kit that you probably should have on-hand in general.

Old 05-17-2009, 03:15 PM
Venno
2nd Gear
Thanks for all the input. I did a PM and found the Belt to be Super cracked, so I changed that and the oil loaded up my carharts, mechanics gloves 2 adjustable wrenches, 2 multitools, screw driver, oil and duct tape and headed out... So far I'm 3 days into my journey and I've been to Stuttgart (where my navigator and I had some problems with the Hotel and ended up sleeping in the MINI....she slept just fine, I might have if i didn't have a gear shifter in my leg and every part of my body fall asleep at random intervals...but all part of the adventure), Reims (had some great Champagne) and now Paris. I've been taking pictures in front of notible buildings and such,...Tomorrow I'll be at the Eifel and Arc de Triumph and I'll upload later.
Thanks for the advice and i'll keep you all posted

Old 05-18-2009, 10:03 AM
dimini
6th Gear
Venno

Sounding like a great adventure. So, you're paired up with a MINI and a classic?

Old 05-18-2009, 10:20 AM
x uh oh x
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Ditto - sounds like a great adventure!

Europe-wide there's a AAA-like business you might be able to "rent" or subscribe to for the trip. It's called ADAC, but I can't remember what it stands for (something in German I think, and one of the A = auto (duh!)) Aha - i looked it up: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ADAC

Anyway, it's absolutely mandatory to have certain safety items in your "kitbag" in Europe - you can incur some serious fines if you don't have them and get stopped: 1.) Warning triangles 2.) First Aid kit...you can get these from just about any parts store or inspection station in Europe.

Some other stuff I usually carried with me are the stuff the others mentioned, plus:
a reflective road vest
a towel (like Hitchhiker's Guide!!!)
maps/atlas --the atlases there are great, but make sure you get ones with exit numbers
spare Euro and Euro COINS for gas -- gas there is not cheap, and the stations not where you WANT them to be, nor do they always have ATMs; you need the coins to use the restrooms - you gotta pay/tip the cleaning folks on guard at the doors to use them...not kidding!

and misc tools.

Europe is AWESOME. Enjoy yourself!