Classic Mini Talk Interested in the Classic Mini? Discuss the Classic and its variants here!

Installed new lock cylinders, thought I'd share with pictures!

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2009, 07:24 PM
nicklk
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Installed new lock cylinders, thought I'd share with pictures!

So I just recently got my Mini, and I live in an apartment complex and the first thing I wanted to change out was the lock cylinders......as the cylinders it came with did not work

So last night I took off the door panels and tackled taking off the handles (not that hard, so I dont think pictures need to be included)

Here is the passenger side completely assembled........

Here is how the drivers side is broken down, all cleaned up...

And all assembled!

You need to make sure that the screw on the top has some seperation between the plastic parts so that the lock slide can move back and forth!

Make sure you apply some lubrication on the plastic shaft as well, so it doesnt seize up or anything

Ask me any questions! Dont expect WAY indepth answers, as this is my first project on the Mini

Old 05-05-2009, 07:36 PM
ImagoX
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Awesome - for some reason, the passenger side lock does not work on the same key as the driver's side and trunk on my car, and ALL the locks are sticky, so I was thinking of swapping mine out. Thanks for the pics - sounds like you did it with few problems.

QUESTION: Where did you get a set of locks, and what did you pay if you don't mind me asking? I'm looking to replace the two (2) door locks and the one (1) trunk lock with ones that all run off a single key.

Thanks again!!

Old 05-05-2009, 08:16 PM
nicklk
2nd Gear
I meant to put that in the posting.

I got the key cylinder kit from Mini Mania....

http://www.minimania.com/web/Item/27.../InvDetail.cfm

I haven't figured out the lock on my boot yet, as it has a much more difficult method of retaining the cylinder, you have to punch it out......it appears that the previous owner tried changing out the cylinder and completely fubared the lock pin that holds it in, so I'm not sure what I'm going to do.

Here are pics

All parts dissasembled.

Pretty beat up in the guide.

The guide plate thingy that actually locks it.....Gotta paint it black.

Old 05-05-2009, 08:22 PM
ImagoX
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
So it was pretty easy to actually pull off the locks and handles? I haven't looked at mine yet that closely - I've just been getting in and unlocking the passenger side from the inside up till now (( sheepish ))....

that rear lock IS fugly... Did you try soaking it in penetrating oil for a while? Maybe moisture got in there and caused some rust?

Old 05-05-2009, 08:45 PM
nicklk
2nd Gear
Yeah, it was very simple to take off the handles. Two screws and a retainer clip is all thats holding you back from taking them off.

I need to find something to hammer out the retaining pin on the boot lock, I'll try it at work tommorow. Once its out I'll clean up everything!

Old 05-06-2009, 08:28 PM
dimini
6th Gear
I did a the cylinder replacement on my pickup recently, too, and sourced the locks through MM. The set was on sale for about $20. Mine were Mk1 style and I now have two extras since I have no trunk or key cylinder on the passenger door. Similar approach and well worth the time. I had to look very, very closely to find the little brass pin that holds the cylinder in place. It was easy to push out using a small carpenter's trim nail.