Classic Mini Talk Interested in the Classic Mini? Discuss the Classic and its variants here!

Classic Mini or BMW MINI?

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2009, 07:44 AM
mini cooper mini
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Classic Mini or BMW MINI?

I am sure that this has been asked a few dozen times and a few of you are going to flame me, but here goes.

I have been an admirer of mini's for a very long time, both new and old. I am finally in a position to be able to do something about it. I lean towards the older minis as they are so unique and rare and i never see them around my parts of south western Va.

SO, what am i asking:

I want a fun mini that i can go adventuring in, in the summer, have fun, and live a little. It would also be fun to take it to work 10 miles away, run errands, and get the mail. I am a grandma when it comes to speed, the speed limit is fine with me.

I drive a toyota truck now and i will keep that for the winter and work use.

I can have an older SPI mini made for me, colors, interior, ext color, etc for around $12k

OR

Get a BMW used 05' mini of approx what i want for $15K

You guys know, what should i sway towards?

noah

Old 02-18-2009, 08:13 AM
catseye
3rd Gear
Have you spent any time driving either car?
Are you "mechanically inclined"?

Old 02-18-2009, 08:23 AM
mini cooper mini
3rd Gear
In fact, i have driven both.

I have driven the newer minis quite a bit. They have had all the bells and whistles down to simple ones. They drive well and provide a good overall experience

The older ones:

I have driven say 5 in the last few years. One was LHD and the rest were RHD. It took me a few minutes to driving on the wrong side of the road. I enjoyed that they were different, rare, and it was fun. I do not need it to go terribly fast, don't listen to the radio, and found that it was a little tight in there, BUT it didn't really matter, IT was a TON of fun.

Mechanically inclined - I would say, mostly. I have rebuilt 4 Jeeps with the help of friends in their shop. Lots of reading and a lot of mistakes, but i got things done. I completly reduced a jeep down to almost the frame and built it back up over about a year and a half, i will never do that again.

So, i do not mind working on things and i have a good library of hand tools, but, i'd like to enjoy it more than fixing it.

Old 02-18-2009, 08:42 AM
elprofe
5th Gear
new car.....you need realiable/comfortable transportation you can always buy that project mini later on an build it yourself little by little if you happen to have the space, money, and time.

Old 02-18-2009, 08:46 AM
mini cooper mini
3rd Gear
That's fair.

Old 02-18-2009, 10:38 AM
AggieMini11
5th Gear
Well if you enjoy working on cars, then go with the classic. I dont so much work on my '04 as i do mod it. But i do really want a classic. Maybe go for a classic cause it would be cheaper. I mean if you put money into it, then it could get pricy but at least you spend money on things you want and you get to put love and care into fixing it up.

Old 02-18-2009, 11:23 AM
dimini
6th Gear
I own both a MINI and a mini. I love both. They are so vastly different that I'd say it's like comparing water skiing to alpine skiing. I treat my classic as a sunny weekend daytime toy. My MINI is a daily driver. Both are a blast, but if I were to have just one, it would be the MINI because it's incredibly fun yet has creature comforts and safety, incredible brakes, etc.

Old 02-18-2009, 11:26 AM
miniola
6th Gear
In a perfect world... BOTH!

Old 02-18-2009, 11:39 AM
ronnie948
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
ONLY CAR??????

If this will be your main transportation you would be wise to go for a BMW-Mini. It is nice to not only have more room and comfort but to have more engine power to keep up with modern traffic.
A Classic Mini is a great car to have but I think driving one every single day would get old fast as large SUV's zoom past you because you are going to slow. I have a Suzuki Samuari that is in the same comfort class and engine power ratio as a classic Mini so that is why I'm happy to have a 2009 BMW JCW for my main car.
I use my Samuari for going to Walmart or taking the dogs to the park etc. If I need to travel anyplace I'm taking the BMW-Mini. Especially if going on an interstate highway. I took the Samuari on I-95 once when I first got it 12 years ago and never did that again.
You can probably find a classic mini project car and enjoy both worlds at a later time.
But if this is to be your everyday main car you should really get the BMW-Mini.
Just be sure you have a used Mini checked out good before you buy it. If a privite sale you should take it to your nearest Mini dealer to have it checked out. If the seller don't agree to it don't buy it.
Ronnie948

Old 02-18-2009, 04:33 PM
Minimad
6th Gear
If you have a reliable backup vehicle (Toyota) for the times the Mini has a fit of some sort, you should be okay. A mini is no more complicated than a Jeep to fix. Any DIY'er can keep a mini rolling.

For jaunts, shopping, occasional work drive, etc a mini is just fine.

Old 02-19-2009, 02:17 PM
mini cooper mini
3rd Gear
WOW, you have all been so GREAT and Helpful as well. I am not really any closer to a decision, but i lean towards getting a MINI. I also lean towards a non S, simpler version. Thanks for the help so far.

Old 02-19-2009, 06:14 PM
ClubmanS
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The "later" Rover Mini classics, circa 1997 until 2000 will have fuel injected engines, decent stereos and driver's side airbags. I think the classics are beautiful cars and have an aura of romanticism and nostalgia about them that very few other cars on the road can match. My only concern with them, as daily drivers, besides reliability is safety. It is a very small car and simply lacks modern day safety features (cage construction, crumple zones, ABS, side airbags, etc). The Issigonis Mini is a child of 1950s automotive technology and its construction and reliability shows it.

I would love to own one someday but strictly as a hobby/weekend "sunny" day car to go out and have fun.

Old 02-20-2009, 12:04 PM
Minimad
6th Gear
I think it's funny how "safety" is such a big concern when everday people do myriads of unsafe things without thought.

Many of the vehicles we drive are really less safe than we assume. We comfort ourselves in false government and manufacturer assurances and statistics.

When it comes down to it it's a matter of random luck. When your time is up, that's it. A Peterbuilt will run you over if you're in Mini or an Escalade just the same. Drive a Mini like a motorcycle and you'll be just fine. otherwise wrap yourself in bubblewrap and stay home..

Old 02-20-2009, 12:12 PM
bigsoup52
6th Gear
As a new owner of a used 2006 MC/R50, I recommend the BMW-MINI; I also believe in the KISS principle...(Keep It Simple Simon)

Old 02-22-2009, 10:13 AM
veggivet
6th Gear
Received 110 Likes on 95 Posts
Speaking as one who owns both versions, I'd go with the BMW MINI for a daily driver.

Old 02-22-2009, 08:20 PM
stwestg8
Neutral
I actually recently sold my MINI Cooper S in order to purchase a classic as my daily driver. My commute is only 2 miles and I don't really NEED all the creature comforts of modern cars. I haven't had it long, but it hasn't let me down yet. When something does go wrong, it's simple enough for me to work on myself. And I do have a backup car.

I think I just like the idea of driving something no one else is.

Old 02-23-2009, 02:27 PM
stratman977
4th Gear
Mr. Bean plowed his classic mini into the same blue three wheeled van in a bunch of episodes. He was just fine if that makes you feel any better about it.