Classic Mini Talk Interested in the Classic Mini? Discuss the Classic and its variants here!

First Mini Restoration

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2008, 03:59 PM
OKMini
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
First Mini Restoration

I have recently been reunited with my '79 Mini 1000 that has been in storage in Georgia for the last 2 years .

As the winter approaches here in Michigan, it is time to start the restoration project. I have opted to do some work myself and have some other items that are beyond my capabilities and resources done by others. This last weekend I started the process of taking the Mini apart.

Hopefully this weekend I will meet up with the person that will take the shell and do the bodywork, prep, and paint over the winter. I have also found someone to do some minor engine rework and repaint the engine and transmission for later re-installation. Since I have the engine/transmission out of the car I want to at least have the engine checked over and do any maintenance that makes sense so I do not regret not having taken advantage of it being out of the car. Any suggestions on things to do on a 30K mile engine I would welcome some input!!! The person doing the engine work has a local "british car" service business and has owned 8 classics. I feel good based on the fact that he is more focused on challenging the work that I have proposed as excessive given the engine as opposed to adding more.

The process is a little daunting based on my minimal car experience. To present I have only attempted suspension and brake work on a previously owned MGB. However, I am looking forward to the day when I put her back on the road next spring (or thereabouts).

I imagine I will be posting a number of questions as I move forward - so I will say "Thanks" in advance for any assistance

Graeme

Old 09-30-2008, 04:36 PM
Mercy
3rd Gear
Nice looking car. Will it be painted the same way?

Old 09-30-2008, 05:20 PM
Rocan
4th Gear
i love the paint scheme on it...

you should try most of the stuff yourself... you learn a lot.

You could prep that body yourself its not super hard.

Old 09-30-2008, 05:39 PM
OKMini
4th Gear
Mercy,

You have hit on the great family debate! I have a lot of history on the car - original owner's service manual with each appointment documented, the last 8 years of MOT and emissions records, 8 years of registration discs/decals, mileage records from each owner, and a number of other misc historical records. So the debate has been between staying all original vs. perhaps making a few custom changes.

The kids want a blue mini with a union jack roof and white bonnet stripes - and this has some definite appeal as I am British. There are also suggestions to reupholster at some point to match the exterior - although this will come later down the line.

The original color is orange. The stripes and checkerboard were added when the car was resprayed prior to my purchase. The service records have a lot of information on rust repair and mechanical items so I have a reasonable idea on what work was done in the past.

So the debate is to keep the car stock and stay true to its heritage or to know the history and paint/update the car based on what we/I want. I get the impression that the majority of the mini community while respecting the heritage of each classic mini, at some level is not hung up (for lack of a better term) on color and interior appointments as they are on condition and perhaps other knowledge of the vehicle's history.

One thing I do know is that based on my 6' 4' frame I am going to put a smaller steering wheel in the car with the already installed seat extenders to improve accessibility

When I look at the way the car is constructed and I think through the bodywork and prep, I do wonder on how good a significant color change will be in eliminating all traces of the original color given that I am taking the car down to the shell?

I am sure others will offer opinions on whether to stay stock or not. In the end - I bought this car to keep. I have a budget ("Thanks Honey" )for the initial restoration (that does not unfortunately include going overboard) and the goal is a rust-free car that I can drive in good weather -- no rain, no snow -- and share with my son as he grows up. Christopher is 12 and is excited about participating in the restoration project. Perhaps someday it will be his

It might not be Shakespeare's Hamlet - but "to stock or not to stock that is the question?"

Old 09-30-2008, 06:21 PM
Mercy
3rd Gear
Very cool... I have owned my 1960 since I was Christopher's age 36 years. The reason I still have it is because of me and my dad restoring it together, the more reason to do a lot of it yourself. light sand it maybe, prep it for paint. do any engine work you can. That orange color is original? I think, and its just my opinion, let Christopher chose the color. The orange is pretty cool though. You don't see too many that color. A neat combination for orange would be a solid black top and maybe black bonnet stripes.. but If you like blue or any other color, maybe research more 79 Mini colors and keep the colors in the Mini family anyways. I would fix it and give it your personal touches according to your personality and family. That's what makes a Mini a Mini! If I or Norm or others that are very knowledgeable can answer your questions, this is the best board to get them! Check out Norm's thread on My New Mini. You will get a huge education! One thing you might consider part of your modification is to change it over to LHD since I assume Christopher may learn how to drive in it and RHD is very tricky even for the experienced driver.

Old 10-01-2008, 01:52 PM
Big Norm
6th Gear
very cool.....if ya ever need anything just hit me up !!!

Old 10-01-2008, 03:01 PM
mk1leg
5th Gear
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
looks like a good shell and a good project....................

Old 10-01-2008, 07:01 PM
dustinhxc
6th Gear
ooo awesome! i like orange!

Old 10-04-2008, 06:42 PM
MD-IN-UK
3rd Gear
I don't want to wonder off the original intent of this thread too far.

But I've seen many Classic Minis with the mirrors mounted to the wings like OKMinis example.

Can anybody add a comment or two about how well they work from that distance. I haven't until now, known anyone with this set up. There usually mounted to the doors on everything I've seen so far.

P.S. paint it whatever color you like. I think the Classic Mini was without doubt, the first car designed to be an art car. It will look good in any color, or combination of colors.

Old 10-05-2008, 01:21 AM
Mercy
3rd Gear
I would like the answer to the mirror question too. I have always wanted to mount the round Lucas mirrors on my wings.

Old 10-05-2008, 04:10 AM
mk1leg
5th Gear
Hi..Well wing (fender) mirrors were fitted to early cars mk1-2 as that was the only place to fix properly and they were fitted centre of wheel arch and slightly to outter edge of wing...................... mk3 mirrors were fitted to top of door skin..................

Old 10-05-2008, 06:50 AM
MD-IN-UK
3rd Gear
Thanks for the history lesson. It makes perfect sense.

However, how well do they work from there? It does look pretty cool, and I'd probably give it a try, just for the sake of looking different. But if it's function isn't very good, then I wouldn't want to put any unnecessary holes in the wings (fenders).

Old 10-05-2008, 09:05 AM
mk1leg
5th Gear
they seem to work fine from what I rember..................

Old 10-05-2008, 11:03 AM
OKMini
4th Gear
Functionally, I think the mirrors are great on the fenders - but I do not have a reference point as I do not have door mirrors. They provide a great view around the car when driving. The car has the mounting holes for the door mirrors. They were not there when I bought it. I have a pair of bullet mirrors I picked up on ebay, but have not tried to put them on. The fender mirrors are a pain to set unless you have someone move the mirrors while you are in the car. Likewise if there are a couple of drivers, the mirrors are probably not something that you would adjust from driver to driver. The mirrors are also exposed - so they are prone to being knocked out of adjustment and they can become kid magnets when the car is parked. I think because they are different, they sometimes get played with. I have had to readjust often! Being tall (6'4"), I do wonder how well door mirrors will work for me.

When I get the bodywork done I am leaning towards having the fender mirrors removed and the holes welded up. I appreciate the history lesson - I had not seen fender mirrors very much and will possibly keep my car closer to how it was originally.

Old 10-05-2008, 11:25 AM
MINIdave
6th Gear
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
My '62 Cooper S had the mirror mounted on the door - I believe this was original, as the pic was taken in the late 70's.........

Old 10-05-2008, 12:56 PM
stratman977
4th Gear
Someone told me that they used to move the mirrors on early MGBs to the fender because the door skin would crack because of the mirror. I wonder if there was some similar thinking here.

Old 10-05-2008, 01:32 PM
Mercy
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by MINIdave
My '62 Cooper S had the mirror mounted on the door - I believe this was original, as the pic was taken in the late 70's.........

This is a Cooper S? Why do you think this is an original picture? Do you have more pictures of this car? I don't recall any Mk1 being silver (could be lighting), door mirrors and it is missing parts as well. That's not to say it isn't an S just has a few modifications to it since it was new.

Last edited by Mercy; 10-05-2008 at 01:37 PM.
Old 10-05-2008, 05:49 PM
mk1leg
5th Gear
Its possable your mini would have had door mirrors but that style of mirror was early 70s and if you screwed into mk1-2 door you would of gone through into sliding window water channel wich would rot door skin quicker................

Old 10-11-2008, 01:14 PM
OKMini
4th Gear
Well another day of Mini teardown is complete. Today I had my son Christopher with me, so it was a fun (actually awesome) opportunity to get him involved in the Mini teardown.

Today the engine came out....

We made some good progress today. A few more weekends and we should be ready to take her to the body shop...

Attached Thumbnails First Mini Restoration-pict3637.jpg   First Mini Restoration-pict3656.jpg  
Old 10-11-2008, 01:18 PM
OKMini
4th Gear
Mini Headlight Removal!

I have a question on how to remove the last part of the headlight. Sorry for the sideways picture. The last piece appears to be riveted into the fender? Am I missing something?

Thanks for any help!

Old 10-11-2008, 01:27 PM
JustGo4It_
5th Gear
The picture doesn't show.

Old 10-11-2008, 01:34 PM
Mercy
3rd Gear
I thought the headlight buckets just screwed into the wing.

Old 10-11-2008, 03:26 PM
Big Norm
6th Gear
Originally Posted by stratman977
Someone told me that they used to move the mirrors on early MGBs to the fender because the door skin would crack because of the mirror. I wonder if there was some similar thinking here.
i was told that most early mini's didn't come with side mirrors and that it was an "dealer option"

Old 10-11-2008, 09:13 PM
Mercy
3rd Gear
I believe this is true Norm. Mine never had side mirrors. I added one.

Old 10-12-2008, 07:30 AM
MD-IN-UK
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by OKMini
I have a question on how to remove the last part of the headlight. Sorry for the sideways picture. The last piece appears to be riveted into the fender? Am I missing something?

Thanks for any help!

To answer this qeustion, I had to drill out the rivets in order to achieve complete removal of the headlight. Once done, you can either rivet them back in for that authentic look, or use nuts and bolts, if you think you can get a wrench or socket up in the fender from behind.

I chose to use rivets, it looks original, and IMO, is much easier to do.

Couldn't see your picture.

Quick Reply: First Mini Restoration