Classic Mini Talk Interested in the Classic Mini? Discuss the Classic and its variants here!

Classic Mini help in the ATL, Yo!

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2008, 04:41 PM
stevemcq54
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Classic Mini help in the ATL, Yo!

Greetings all:

New member, first time poster, long time Classic Mini fan.

Lately I've gotten the desire to own a Classic. There is lot's I don't know & am seeking guidance from knowledgeable forum members.

I do know pretty much what I want. A mid to late 70s car, right hand drive, 4 speed with the 1275 cc engine. Not exactly a daily driver, but something that could be driven a few times a week for short distances with the occasional weekend trip. I am definitely not looking for a project car.

Basically, what I don't know is what I don't know.

I always thought Classic Minis had to be imported pre-1975, but I see a range of years for cars. They are obviously legal, but how does that work or do I really care? And what does it really mean when a 197x car is upgraded to 198x standards? Tweaked mechanically or cosmetically?

How do I know a true value for a car like this? Other than watching auctions on ebay and seeing what cars are listed for on other sites, how can you be sure your car is really worth the asking price?

Does a classic car require special insurance or is standard coverage with high limits acceptable?

What about importing cars from Europe or NZ/OZ/Japan? I've seen some very reasonably priced vehicles posted even when you include shipping. In fact I'm still black & blue from kicking myself in the butt for not jumping on one deal, but I just couldn't pull the trigger. Have you done it & how was the experience?

Is there a reputable shop that works on Classic Minis in metro Atlanta?

What am I not asking?

Sorry for a long first post, got carried away.

If these questions have already been answered on the forum, please point me to the proper thread. I'd appreciate any input you think might help.

Thanks,
steve

Old 08-21-2008, 07:35 PM
Rocan
4th Gear
try minimania.com's classified ads....

and btw... all minis are 4speeds.

Welcome to NAM!

Old 08-21-2008, 08:06 PM
stratman977
4th Gear
Poke through the past threads here. Almost everyone looking to buy one asks the same questions. My suggestion to you is to do your homework before you even start looking, read about the common problem spots (Link at top of the classic mini talk page). That way when you go to look at one you know what you are looking at and what to look for.

To answer you question about a 197X being updated to 198X, 199X specs basically means that they put an 197x vin on a 198x car to import it.

If you not looking for a project I'd suggest you physically inspect the car yourself and not import one based on pictures. They all have rust its just a question of if you can find it and how bad it is. Also, keep in mind that by the nature of these cars they end up being an ongoing project. You are going to have to do some work on them regardless of their condition.

Around the 7K range seems to be the going price for a drivable un-restored car. It can go way up from there depending on upgrades and condition.

As for insurance you just need what your state requires for any car. Classic car insurance is cheaper because they expect you to treat it as a classic and drive minimally. You can also get better coverage from a classic car insurance than from you regular agent in the case of the car being totaled.

Poke around the threads and then maybe ask some more specific questions and we can help you get a better understanding.

Old 08-25-2008, 12:37 AM
MINIxB
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Rocan
and btw... all minis are 4speeds.

Welcome to NAM!
some Mini's are automatics

Old 08-28-2008, 02:57 PM
stevemcq54
Neutral
thanks all for the replies.
am searching back through the threads & have already found a few helpful things. will spend more time there & ask again if i come up w/some intelligent questions.

Old 08-28-2008, 03:15 PM
stratman977
4th Gear
I think you are at least on the right track. The people who come here asking if they can trade their late model car in for a classic because it's cheaper are the people who will be in for a big surprise. Look for any thread that says "I'm looking for..." or "Future classic owner"

Old 08-28-2008, 03:58 PM
stevemcq54
Neutral
Yeah, i suspect it will be a process of weeding out and finding the applicable stuff. I've been w/o a car for the past 5 years (daughter took it away to college, it visits occasionaly) and i've been bike commuting for the past 10 years. have just gotten to the point where there are times it would be easier to keep appointments or run erands with out having to wait until the wife's car is available. i'm in no rush, likely not till spring. have just decided if im gonna have 4 wheels, i'm getting something i've always wanted.
appreciate any knowledge or thoughts you have at any time.

Old 08-29-2008, 09:45 AM
dimini
6th Gear
stevemcq54-

Welcome to the forum. I began my classic mini search/research about 18 months ago and found the book "Complete Classic Mini: 1959-2000" by Chris Reese very useful. I would also suggest looking at the nationwide classifieds posted on the minimania forum. I think it gives you a good feeling for what's out there and the going prices.