Classic Mini Talk Interested in the Classic Mini? Discuss the Classic and its variants here!

Found One... What do you think?

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2007, 11:06 PM
WeDriveMinis
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Found One... What do you think?

I found a nice 78 Clubman and was wondering what thoughts were regarding. Everything seems to check out and the discussions I've had with the owner seem to be very up front and honest.

I'm thinking about flying out to drive this baby back home and wanted to see what some of the "Experts" thought about the ride.

Originally Posted by The Owner
Beautiful 1978 AUSTIN MORRIS MINI CLUBMAN with 25K miles. 1100CC 4 cyl engine with 4 speed 10 INCH wheels with new tires. NEW leather INTEIROR, Factory English right hand drive steering
originally supplied to UK and imported to the US. HAVE CLEAR TITLE. ITS A GREAT Daily driver OR weekend SHOW car. Unbelievable gas mileage! If you want a Mini that runs wonderful and looks great THIS IS THE ONE FOR YOU
new "Old English" white paint
new carpet. door panels and headliner are in great shape .beautiful wood dash. all new glass, all chrome as been redone
all new light lenses, all gauges & lights work
this is a head TURNER.. Hard to imagine a nicer example MINI
EVERY THING WORKS ON HER THIS IS A RUST FREE CAR
Here's some pics

Let me know, as I'd definately appreciate it... as it's my first venture into the Mini world from doing VW and other, more modern vehicles as well...

Old 05-08-2007, 03:17 AM
Minimad
6th Gear
It looks lovely.

About the only negative I can come up with from the photos is that the door cards don't match the seats/carpet. Too many colors going on there. But, you can buy Duplicolor Vinyl dye at Pep Boys or similar and spray the cards black to match if you wish. I did mine and it worked fine.

As its been done over, just be careful it was done in a professional manner. Check out the floors, the sills, Fr/Rr of rear wheel arches, inside the bottom of the rear parcel bins, the bottom of the doors, the front edge of the bonnet and fenders for repairs. Those are the common clubman rust areas. The owner should be willing to send you photos of these areas before you invest in a flight.

Old 05-08-2007, 03:43 AM
Loony2N
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yeah. Find out why it was done over. Of course, just to replace warn stuff is great, but was it flooded, etc.?

Old 05-08-2007, 05:35 AM
pmustang
4th Gear
Looks very very nice, White is one of the hardest colors to look good on a classic mini as there is usually some rust popping out somewhere. I am not sure if you are the same person that has looked on this car and commented on another board about it but make sure you don't live in California as you cannot get this year of car registered there, that was the other guys problem, Even though it is USA legal, Calif has such strict pollution laws the car would never pass.

Best of luck, Looks like a darn nice car and if its the price I saw before it is very cheap. Peter