Bluegrass MINIs (Kentucky) The Bluegrass MINIs club forum. Visit our club site at http://www.bgminis.org/

How is everyone doing ?

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2009, 04:44 AM
mimini1
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How is everyone doing ?

We are still w/o electric. I was fortunate enough to buy a generator yesterday or else I would be close to crazy by now. There are about 40 houses around me w/o electric and everything else in my immediate area is on. Kind of discouraging.

Old 01-31-2009, 06:52 AM
oldsbear
6th Gear
In the last serious ice storm here in Southeast Iowa, our heat and electricity were off 4 days, the most miserable days in memory. I sympathize. How long has your power been off now? Do you have heat?

Old 01-31-2009, 08:25 AM
mimini1
3rd Gear
WE are in day 4. Last fall we were out 8 days a piece of cake compared to winter. I tried to heat the house with kerosene heaters for a couple of days but they smell. Yesterday I was able to buy a generator and I was able to hook the furnace up to the generator. thank goodness we have a gas furnace. Thanks for the post.

Old 01-31-2009, 08:49 AM
oldsbear
6th Gear
Originally Posted by mimini1
WE are in day 4. Last fall we were out 8 days a piece of cake compared to winter. I tried to heat the house with kerosene heaters for a couple of days but they smell. Yesterday I was able to buy a generator and I was able to hook the furnace up to the generator. thank goodness we have a gas furnace. Thanks for the post.
I decided I would not go through that again, so I put the generator in a shed next to the house, and installed an LP no-electric, no-vent heater in the house, hoping that I never have to use them.

Good luck to you

Old 01-31-2009, 10:26 AM
MoxieMini
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My parents were out of power for a few days as well. I think they're back in business now. You guys got it pretty bad up in daVille, didn't you?

Well... put that generator to good use! I hope you all start fairing a bit better.

Old 01-31-2009, 10:47 AM
mimini1
3rd Gear
Louisville had over 220k people out in the beginning. They now have 135k out.

Old 01-31-2009, 10:58 AM
MoxieMini
6th Gear
Holy Jesús. That's a lot power outages. I think all the REALLY bad weather pretty much went around us. It's like there's some kind of weather force field around BG. We only ever get enough bad weather to be really annoying here. But obviously it could be worse.

Hey at least you guys don't have the whole water boiling advisory going on. A lot of surrounding counties here have had contaminated water. That's definitely a bonus.

Old 01-31-2009, 07:08 PM
mimini1
3rd Gear
Our electric came back on this evening (Saturday). It seems Louisville does not get very much snow but I guess when it gets hit it GETS hit.
I am just not a winter lover. My poor Mazda looks like an ice cycle I should be ashamed it is sitting in front of my garage. A truly good use for a garage.( I have to drive the MINI because the Mazda is horrible on slick roads and the MINI is only bad on slick roads).

Old 02-01-2009, 09:06 AM
MiniMoic
4th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I'm glad you finally got power. Other than the windshield, nothing here. The MINI was a little bit slippery in some roads, but ASC handle it good.

Old 02-01-2009, 10:11 AM
MoxieMini
6th Gear
Glad you got your power back! Is it warm up there today, too? If so, it's a good time to take the Mazda out and clean it up! Clean the MINI, too, but I figured that's given... .

Old 02-01-2009, 12:18 PM
mimini1
3rd Gear
The weather is beautiful today for a winter day hopefully the electric crews will get a lot accomplished today. I am really impressed with the restoration on electric. to the crews.
My son lives in Crescent Hill and his house is still dead.
My cars aren't quite thawed out enough to wash

Attached Thumbnails How is everyone doing ?-winter.jpg  
Old 02-01-2009, 12:21 PM
MoxieMini
6th Gear
Originally Posted by mimini1
My cars aren't quite thawed out enough to wash
Oh wow... sad day.

It's like 63 degrees down here. I didn't think there'd be that much of a difference!

Anyway... best of luck to your brother and everyone else up there in getting power restored!

Old 02-01-2009, 02:28 PM
crossedxsparrow
1st Gear
just got power back! not that it would have hurt to much, but my mini just missed a pretty large branch. the same tree was mosly destroyed during the wind storm, and landed exactly where my mini now sits, didnt think it could happen twice! hope everyone elses vehicles, minis or not, survived with out harm.

-chris

Old 02-01-2009, 04:12 PM
Professor
5th Gear
No power here for 3 days. I thought I was going to go crazy! But all is good now and today the Mini got a bath and a wax

Old 02-01-2009, 04:38 PM
mimini1
3rd Gear
Speaking of car damage my MINI did not get hurt but my son's Ranger got a big dent and scratch last fall in the wind storm and this time he got the drivers rear mirror knocked off. My MINI was about 10 feet away. I just looked at lg and e's web site and it looks like my part on town went down hill today with number of houses down. Maybe they just got a better count.

Old 02-01-2009, 09:16 PM
MoxieMini
6th Gear
Yeah, my MINI got a tree branch to the right rear quarter panel/roof. It was a sad day. Dropping it off to get it fixed tomorrow afternoon.