Arkansas MINI Owners Klub (AMOK) AMOK is a club for enthusiasts that want to participate in the community, get together to learn about our MINIs, and love to drive curvy roads. Visit our club site at www.motoringamok.com

Random Questions

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2007, 01:17 PM
mrs.mini
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Random Questions

I have a couple questions but didn't want to start multiple threads, so they are all in this one.
1) GPS - do you have it and like it? Have it and hate it? What brand?
2) Detailing - DIY? Any tips...I'm going to do the clay/wax full detail on Sat.
There is a lot of info on the forum, but I want to get the opinions of my fellow AMOK members.

Old 10-17-2007, 01:22 PM
naffets
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by mrs.mini
I have a couple questions but didn't want to start multiple threads, so they are all in this one.
1) GPS - do you have it and like it? Have it and hate it? What brand?
2) Detailing - DIY? Any tips...I'm going to do the clay/wax full detail on Sat.
There is a lot of info on the forum, but I want to get the opinions of my fellow AMOK members.

1) Stock GPS....like it a lot. If I didn't have it integrated with the car I would consider buying one but I wouldn't really use it to much then I think. I wouldn't leave it in the car as those are high value targets to get stolen.

2) Can't give ya anthing on that. I'm part of the "it is cheaper/easier for me to pay someone else to wax rather than doing it myself" crowd. LOL

Old 10-17-2007, 03:14 PM
gbishop
Coordinator :: Arkansas MINI Owners Klub (AMOK)
random ?s

I've had my Garmin NUVI 200 widescreen for about 3 weeks and love it. Its a pretty basic model, there are some with many more bells and whistles, but it gets me where I need to go and thats all I need. Right now its mounted with the stock suction cup mount left of the steering wheel and the wide screen doesn't bother me at all. Jeff has been talking about fabricating something like the MINI installed mount for it on the steering column, but in all his free time..... , we'll see....

Flash gets a washn' just about once a week. Rain or shine. I'm pretty cheap , cause that gets expensive. He gets waxed once every few months, with Meguiars Gold Wax. I use ICE car wash and ICE polish everytime. The ICE polish also keeps the black trim looking black AND doesn't wash off or smudge like Armor All, you can use it on everything but the chrome and glass.
I use Black Magic tire shine on the tires in the sponge applicator thingy and every week I have to use Castrol Super Clean ON THE TIRE ALONE to get the residue of it off or it builds up and gets all over the side of the car. Super Clean is great stuff, but I spray it on my brush and then on the tire, it will eat paint and might mess up your rims. I have yet to find a tire shine product that doesn't build up on my tires.
I use Invisible Glass (thanks Jim Sanders) on the glass. I have clay barred before, using the Meguiars Kit. It worked well, but it sure is a lot of work
On the interior I use Meguiars Interior Detailer, it removes the dust and also shines my anthracite up. I have rubber floor mats and I wash them and hose them off with the car...
This is truly detailing on a budget... It takes me about 2hours, and I don't always do it all....but I enjoy doing it even when its cold (anybody know where I can get some insulated, water proof gloves? )

Old 10-29-2007, 04:00 PM
JimC67
Neutral
Garmin Nuvi 200

I have also have the Garmin Nuvi 200 and like it a lot. It was $300 at Best Buy. It is very portable and readable. I use the windshield suction cup mount located just over the left fender. I can easily relocate it to my other car. It does not speak the street names before a turn, but they are easily readable if that is necessary. It does vocally announce all turns and and other instructions. The Starbucks database is terrible!
Jim

Old 10-29-2007, 07:11 PM
'Ton the Mon
Neutral
I have the Garmin nuvi 400, and love it. It got me all around DC and now around LR without getting me lost (seriously, I do get lost here). I would check out the new TomToms--they seem a little friendlier on the updating than does Garmin--who charges you $75 for map updates.

Old 10-30-2007, 05:09 AM
mrs.mini
2nd Gear
yikes, I didn't know about the map upgrades. thanks for all the feedback! I think I (and Stella) want nav for Christmas.
And I detailed my car two Sat. ago...and then it rained all last week. So much for all my hard work.

Old 11-29-2007, 11:50 PM
cushin14
6th Gear
I know crap about GPS other than I don't have it, so can't help you there but as for the detailing, I am DIY and a little OCD for way too long now I am sure. IMO - Always have & will use Ziano products for all my vehicles. Complete wax twice a year, daily upkeep in between, never a problem & almost always a shine...I do get lazy

My 2 cents!