All other MINI parts and items for Sale (archive) Archived - Everything for sale that is not a car or wheels and tires (but is MINI/Mini-related)

Wanted Roof Rack From MINI!

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2006, 02:21 PM
MiniMeg06
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wanted Roof Rack From MINI!

Wanted Roof Rack from Mini! ( The bolt on style ) Need the Base Support System for a Black roof / black covers, Install Kit & 2 Fork Mounted Bike Racks. If you have any of this parts you would like to sale or know where I can get a deal on them please email me at hayrandyl@comcast.net If you have pictures that would be great!
Or the Mini Link System. Would need the Sport link & Bike Holder. ( the one that bolts to the rear of a Mini. )
Thanks for you time,
Randy & Meg

Old 01-21-2006, 06:26 AM
Buckeye Rob
1st Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Here's a link you might find useful. I had it installed by my local dealer for about $450 as I recall for base rack system and installation because one wrong cut and your roof is trashed. Good luck!

http://www.metroplexmini.org/forum/s...ight=roof+rack

Old 01-21-2006, 06:53 AM
fred3
4th Gear
Why not buy a rack from...

Originally Posted by MiniMeg06
Wanted Roof Rack from Mini! ( The bolt on style ) Need the Base Support System for a Black roof / black covers, Install Kit & 2 Fork Mounted Bike Racks. If you have any of this parts you would like to sale or know where I can get a deal on them please email me at hayrandyl@comcast.net If you have pictures that would be great!
Or the Mini Link System. Would need the Sport link & Bike Holder. ( the one that bolts to the rear of a Mini. )
Thanks for you time,
Randy & Meg
Thule or Yakima? Less money, more options. Never heard of one falling off. Mine will be going on this coming spring for our two fork mounted mtn. bikes. Not worried at all as I had the rack on the Civic for 4 years and zero problems. Full compliment of rack and equipment to carry 2 fork mounted bikes was just over $300 and you're looking at $450 without the trays and fork mnts.

Old 01-21-2006, 03:51 PM
Buckeye Rob
1st Gear
I thought about going aftermarket myself but the OEM roof rack is rated for 160lbs. The Yak & Thule are like 75lbs. I happen to carry a Yakima Space Cadet box when I travel that bolts up with no modification. For me it was worth the extra $$ for the extra load. For a couple bikes the aftermarket should be fine though.

Old 01-21-2006, 10:02 PM
MiniMeg06
3rd Gear
Fred3
With all due respect, you have never seen the aftermath of a rack falling off. I have. I am an ex-bike racer and my least expensive Moots (a bicycle) is over $5500. You're driving down the road at 70+ and hit a big gust of wind, you hear this loud crashing sound as your $$$$ are falling off in front of an 18 wheeler. Now you're $$$$ bikes are totaled, your roof has over $500. in damaged and the 18 wheeler is going to kill you because your bike pedal punched a hole in his fuel tank. Get the picture? This is a true story because it happen to a friend.

[QUOTE]
Originally Posted by fred3
Thule or Yakima? Less money, more options. Never heard of one falling off. Mine will be going on this coming spring for our two fork mounted mtn. bikes. Not worried at all as I had the rack on the Civic for 4 years and zero problems. Full compliment of rack and equipment to carry 2 fork mounted bikes was just over $300 and you're looking at $450 without the trays and fork mnts.

Old 01-22-2006, 08:19 AM
Buckeye Rob
1st Gear
[QUOTE=MiniMeg06]Fred3
With all due respect, you have never seen the aftermath of a rack falling off. I have. I am an ex-bike racer and my least expensive Moots (a bicycle) is over $5500. You're driving down the road at 70+ and hit a big gust of wind, you hear this loud crashing sound as your $$$$ are falling off in front of an 18 wheeler. Now you're $$$$ bikes are totaled, your roof has over $500. in damaged and the 18 wheeler is going to kill you because your bike pedal punched a hole in his fuel tank. Get the picture? This is a true story because it happen to a friend.

I'd go with the OEM roof rack and wouldn't even consider the sport link then. Some yahoo rear ends you and the bikes are toast. Not to mention they'll be very dirty and dusty hanging back there since MINI's have problem keeping their back sides clean. May not be as bad a problem in NM but in TX even with no rain the rear end gets very dusty.

Old 01-22-2006, 09:30 AM
fred3
4th Gear
The concern is appreciated...

[quote=Buckeye Rob][quote=MiniMeg06]Fred3

and no disrepect is taken, but there are certain chances we take and certain common sense things we can do to minimize the odds of those types of accidents happening. One is that you don't do 70+mph while you have bikes on your roof. I thought that would be common sense and I also don't mean any disrespect, but that isn't very smart. When bikes are on my roof I go quite a bit slower than without them. Since you don't say what failed in that accident then we don't know if it was faulty material, installation of the racks or installation of the bikes onto the racks. So Thule or Yakima roof racks may indeed be just as safe as OEM racks, a lot less money and very easy to use. It only takes the misinstallation of one part to make the whole unit unsafe. Having worked on subs most of my life I've a pretty good handle on double and triple checking myself before I take off. If it doesn't hold you can be sure I'll post about it.

Old 01-22-2006, 09:45 AM
NekoWoman
5th Gear
Location: Fulltime RVer - R53 towed behind a vintage 1979 35' MCI MC-5C Saudi
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
I have the MINI roof rack drilled into my roof. While I normally have it off, when I do use it I have found it to be far more solid than any aftermarket rack. It will fully take the 160 lbs. I have even moved with both a travel bag fully loaded and a bike up there. IMHO, go with the drilled MINI rack and have the dealer install. Make sure they use silicone (or similar) caulk on the mount points (I had a friend that didn't have it caulked and theirs leaked).

Also, do yourself a favor and keep extra caps covers around if you don't leave the rack on at all times. The caps come off once in a while and they will discolor -- a whole lot faster if you store them in the glove box too. I seem to need 1 new set (~$12) at least once a year.

Old 01-26-2006, 07:46 PM
MiniMeg06
3rd Gear
[quote=fred3][quote=Buckeye Rob]
Originally Posted by MiniMeg06
Fred3

and no disrepect is taken, but there are certain chances we take and certain common sense things we can do to minimize the odds of those types of accidents happening. One is that you don't do 70+mph while you have bikes on your roof. I thought that would be common sense and I also don't mean any disrespect, but that isn't very smart. When bikes are on my roof I go quite a bit slower than without them. Since you don't say what failed in that accident then we don't know if it was faulty material, installation of the racks or installation of the bikes onto the racks. So Thule or Yakima roof racks may indeed be just as safe as OEM racks, a lot less money and very easy to use. It only takes the misinstallation of one part to make the whole unit unsafe. Having worked on subs most of my life I've a pretty good handle on double and triple checking myself before I take off. If it doesn't hold you can be sure I'll post about it.
Fred3,
After, have been riding & racing bicycles for the last 4 days at the Sea Otter at Laguna Seca in Monterey CA. You finsh your last race at about 2 PM. on Sunday now you need to go to the hotel pack and drive back to Mesa AZ.( E of Phoenix ) About 700 miles and a 10 hr. plus drive, if your going like a bat out of hell!! To be back at work Monday at 7:30 AM. You drive 70 +! Some people like white cars and some people like black. I will drill holes in my wife's roof.
Thanks,
Randy

Old 02-19-2006, 10:07 AM
MiniMeg06
3rd Gear
I'm still looking for someone who's selling there used rack parts! Also a question for those who are using the fork mounted bike racks. Where are you puting the front wheels? I.e.. does anyone sale a wheel mount for the Mini Roof Rack?

Thanks for your time.

Old 01-03-2007, 08:55 AM
ahammer
Neutral
Bike Front wheel holder for OEM MINI Rack

I have been looking for a front wheel holder to go with my fork mounted sleds on my OEM MINI rack. Has any one been able to find these?

Old 01-03-2007, 02:45 PM
GRENDEL
3rd Gear
The oem fork mount bike rack is a debagded thule carrier. Thule has a universal front tire holder that mounts around the oem rail. it has thumb screws and CAN NOT be locked to the rail (ie someone can steal it in a parking lot). I have and oem clamp style bike holder that has never been used (neither of my bikes have downtubes to attach it to.) If your interested. Also if you like thule racks you can but whatever one you want purchase a VW adapter, add a washer and it will work fine. I have gone flow of traffic in a 70mph zone with no problems.