5th Annual MINIs on the Dragon (May 3-6, 2007) The 5th Anniversary of the largest MINI event in the nation. Ready to take your turn trying to tame the Dragon?

Slow Down & Enjoy the Ride

Old 03-30-2007, 10:44 AM
Louispup
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Squirlz
If I get behind traffic, I pull over and wait for the gap to widen.
Last year on my way out there was an 18-wheeler I came up on. Pulling over 10 minutes gave me about 30 seconds of motoring before the cause to pause again. That got old quick.

Old 03-30-2007, 11:03 AM
shankrabbit
6th Gear
Excellent Thread!

I seem to remember a thread after last years MOTD which pointed out a certain fellow who was PASSING people over the double yellow and was in general just being a complete jack-butt.

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...ad.php?t=68256

(I like this thread, although it became locked, because it shows who cares about other mini drivers, and who doesn't. I love bonding with the ones who care.)

Unfortunately there is a certain demographic of people who think themselves as "superior drivers" and "invincible"... and... unfortunately... those are the ones who will probably never read this thread.

I always like to take this adage, and convert it to driving:
"The wise man understands that he knows nothing at all."

to

"The superior driver understands that he can't drive at all."

Old 03-30-2007, 12:56 PM
Squirlz
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Louispup
Last year on my way out there was an 18-wheeler I came up on. Pulling over 10 minutes gave me about 30 seconds of motoring before the cause to pause again. That got old quick.
mmm a semi.... Pretty sure I'd just turn around then

Old 03-30-2007, 01:20 PM
Mishka
6th Gear
Originally Posted by shankrabbit
Unfortunately there is a certain demographic of people who think themselves as "superior drivers" and "invincible"... and... unfortunately... those are the ones who will probably never read this thread.

I always like to take this adage, and convert it to driving:
"The wise man understands that he knows nothing at all."

to

"The superior driver understands that he can't drive at all."
Accidents happen, and they can happen to anyone, any place, and any time-whether you are a good driver or not. Just because you (think you) are a good driver doesn't mean everyone else on the road is, or that Mother Nature will prevent animals/children from running out in front of you, or the laws of physics will alter for your driving style. Being a good driver isn't a shield against being in an accident-your fault or not.

In my 13 years in law enforcement, I have lost count of the number of drivers who made the comments like "But I'm a good driver..."---while we were working an accident the "good driver" was involved in. In many cases, it may just be a driver having a momentary lapse of attention, driving while thinking about your job/family/vacation/MINIs On The Dragon, or it could be the person who thinks they are a good driver taking extra risks with the thought that their abilities will allow them to counter the additional risks.

As a whole, drivers tend to think that time spent in the car is for doing anything you need to get done but can't find time to do at home or at the office-not for paying attention to driving. Most people here on NAM regard their time behind the wheel as "driving time" and put more attention to the driving than other distractions, but we are a minority group. (Just go to the thread asking 'Is the wave dead?' and read about all the MINI drivers who are too busy talking on the phone to see other MINIs, and we all have read horror stories of someone almost being run over by another motorist talking on a cell phone and not paying attention to driving.) We all know talking on your cell phone while driving is dangerous and a factor in many accidents, yet laws had to be passed making it illegal to talk on your cell phone while driving. Why? Because many people will tell you they are "good drivers" and won't have an accident while on the phone.

Two things I try to remember while driving: 1) No one is anywhere near as good a driver as they think they are-including myself-so I must be careful and attentive to driving. 2) See #1

Old 03-30-2007, 01:24 PM
Yucca Patrol
Coordinator :: Alabama Motoring Society & South East
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Mishka
. . . .We all know talking on your cell phone while driving is dangerous and a factor in many accidents, yet laws had to be passed making it illegal to talk on your cell phone while driving.
Thankfully my habit of peeling and eating hard boiled eggs while motoring has yet to be identified as a dangerous factor in auto accidents!

Old 03-30-2007, 01:36 PM
Mishka
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Yucca Patrol
Thankfully my habit of peeling and eating hard boiled eggs while motoring has yet to be identified as a dangerous factor in auto accidents!
Please tell me you don't throw the shells in the floorboard!

Old 03-30-2007, 01:37 PM
mielnicki
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Yucca Patrol
At least you boil them BEFORE you get in the car!!

Old 03-30-2007, 01:44 PM
shankrabbit
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Mishka

As a whole, drivers tend to think that time spent in the car is for doing anything you need to get done but can't find time to do at home or at the office-not for paying attention to driving. Most people here on NAM regard their time behind the wheel as "driving time" and put more attention to the driving than other distractions, but we are a minority group. (Just go to the thread asking 'Is the wave dead?' and read about all the MINI drivers who are too busy talking on the phone to see other MINIs, and we all have read horror stories of someone almost being run over by another motorist talking on a cell phone and not paying attention to driving.) We all know talking on your cell phone while driving is dangerous and a factor in many accidents, yet laws had to be passed making it illegal to talk on your cell phone while driving. Why? Because many people will tell you they are "good drivers" won't have an accident while on the phone.
This reminded me of a guy I was behind the other day (not a mini) who was on his phone (no hands free... just using his shoulder), leaning into his backseat while holding a coffee cup. I flashed him and layed on my horn to get him from being a complete moron and swearving off the higway.

With you being in law enforcement, I'm sure you get to see the worst of the worst. I just wish that people didn't have to see that or go through that for it to finally become a reality just how dangerous vehicles really are and how much you REALLY DO have to respect the road and other drivers... all while being mindful of how everyone else could be a potential hazard.

I had a law enforcement friend of mine explain to me once that a car getting in a head on collision with another car each at 25mphs, has more force then a bullet fired from a gun. Funny how we enforce strict gun laws, yet let everyone drive cars. hmmm..

Old 03-30-2007, 05:54 PM
ImagoX
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
EDIT - SORRY!

I made a serious typo in my first iteration of these.... That will teach me to try and do graphics and talk, eat and deal with my son all at the same time! Hope I didn't accidentally offend anyone!!

How about something like THESE??

I made a "polite" and a "not so polite" version so that people could feel free to express their level of anger at being tailgated. Grrrrrrr....

If you don't want to leave this on your bumper all the time (altough I can't imagine WHY), you could put it on your back window and then razor blade it off after the Dragon.

PS - I printed a "I (Heart) Curves" one (it's somewhere in that gallery) for myself a few weeks back and have been saving it for the Dragon. I was considering making one for the ladies that reads:

"Size Matters".

Old 03-31-2007, 09:14 AM
bamatt
6th Gear
^^^

How bout one that says...
If you can read this...
make like a chicken
& back the cluck off

ok, I know, sometimes I am the only one that gets my sense of humor

Old 03-31-2007, 11:03 AM
Crashton
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I bet the first good old boy who comes up behind you & figures out what that says is going to stick his bull bar right up your tail pipe.

Old 03-31-2007, 05:01 PM
thulchatt
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I'm glad people are talking about this.

I only have had good experiences but maybe I have been lucky. Last year I was able to drive with other MINI's that I had not met before but pull out at the end together and have a good time.

I also encountered the MR2s Sat morning. If I understand the protocall, agressive runs early relaxed runs in the afternoon.

Either way, a little kindness helps a lot.

Old 03-31-2007, 05:46 PM
queenB
Coordinator :: Smoky Mountain MINIs
Don't ever let someone behind you push you beyond your driving skills, either. Sometimes it is intimidating but if someone is going to do something stupid, let it be the other car. Be polite where you can but it's your road if you are in front.

Old 03-31-2007, 06:05 PM
Loony2N
6th Gear
I drive on several small, no passing roads every day. I am sick and tired of being in a long line of cars behind someone creeping along, ignoring the jam they are creating because they are driving "fast enough." I say if your skills don't match the conditions, take another route and get the heck out of the way.

Old 03-31-2007, 06:14 PM
chows4us
6th Gear
Originally Posted by LynnEl
I say if your skills don't match the conditions, take another route and get the heck out of the way.
Skills matching the conditions? Is this 1972 and we are in NV and MT where the speed limits are R&P :impatient

Its a PUBLIC road. If you want to drive "fast", why don't you go to the track?

Old 03-31-2007, 06:31 PM
BLUCOOPR
6th Gear
If you get a speeding ticket on the Dragon its your fault! Never cross the yellow line!!! If someone is driving a little more spirited than you pull over as soon as you can and let them go! Some people consider the Dragon a racetrack duh! Its a public hiway US 129! Hangup the cell because you can't find a tower out there anyway and enjoy the ride! Big trucks do get caught on the Dragon so beware, but the Rice Burners are more of a Hazard! Se you there!

Old 03-31-2007, 07:45 PM
welshmenwillnotyield
6th Gear
Originally Posted by chows4us
Skills matching the conditions? Is this 1972 and we are in NV and MT where the speed limits are R&P :impatient

Its a PUBLIC road. If you want to drive "fast", why don't you go to the track?
I second that; in fact, I pretty much said it earlier in this thread.

Old 03-31-2007, 08:27 PM
ashboomstick
5th Gear
I drive on several small, no passing roads every day. I am sick and tired of being in a long line of cars behind someone creeping along, ignoring the jam they are creating because they are driving "fast enough." I say if your skills don't match the conditions, take another route and get the heck out of the way.
Are you going to MOTD this year? And if so, will you be the one we have to call the tow truck for to fish your car off the side of the mountain when your "skills don't match the conditions"?

Old 03-31-2007, 08:30 PM
mielnicki
6th Gear
Originally Posted by ashboomstick
Are you going to MOTD this year? And if so, will you be the one we have to call the tow truck for to fish your car off the side of the mountain when your "skills don't match the conditions"?
Maybe this year's "PassA$$"

Old 03-31-2007, 08:35 PM
Edge
AdMINIstrator
Originally Posted by mielnicki
Speaking of... did anyone see last year's on SpeedVision - the big NOPI event? They interviewed him and his MINI.

NAM guidelines prevent me from saying what I really thought when I saw it... but I will say that it's a shame that someone else wasn't representing the MINI community.

Old 03-31-2007, 09:43 PM
bamatt
6th Gear
  1. I just gotta ask how many MOTDs you have been to.
  2. F.Y.I... It's funny that you should say what you did because this line of thinking is what compelled me to start this thread. I would dare say that some of the speed demon's "skillzzz" aren't 1/10th as good as they think they are.
  3. I don't think anyone has said anything about "creeping along". When people are driving spiritedly on the dragon that is fast enough & if it isn't then I think the speed demons should take it to the track & telling people that they should take an entirely different route because they don't drive fast enough for you, well, that's just plain funny
+1

Old 03-31-2007, 10:01 PM
ashboomstick
5th Gear
Distinct possibility...

Old 04-01-2007, 11:14 AM
Crashton
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I was there late last October. What a great time to be there in the mountains. I wish there'd have been a few more MINI's, only saw one. On the other had I saw no one acting like Ricky Racer on any public road I was on.

If you folks see someone out there endangering others like "PassA$$" last year, I have an idea for you. Go to the hardware store & buy some chain & a padlock. When you see the offenders car parked. Put the chain through the bozo's wheels. Think of it as a good old boy version of a Denver Boot. Leave him a note so he won't try to drive away. As you can tell I don't have any use for folks who endanger other Innocent people.

Old 04-01-2007, 01:03 PM
chows4us
6th Gear
Originally Posted by bamatt
  1. I just gotta ask how many MOTDs you have been to.
Bama, it doesnt matter how many ... that is just a selfish, arrogant ... all about me attitude ... sad ...

Old 04-01-2007, 02:10 PM
Mishka
6th Gear
Originally Posted by chows4us
Bama, it doesnt matter how many ... that is just a selfish, arrogant ... all about me attitude ... sad ...
...as is the attitude that just because someone wants to go fast, everyone else should get out of their way. (and yes, slower traffic does need to try to allow faster vehicles to get around if it is safe to do so. Courtesy goes both ways.)

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Slow Down & Enjoy the Ride