5th Annual MINIs on the Dragon (May 3-6, 2007) The 5th Anniversary of the largest MINI event in the nation. Ready to take your turn trying to tame the Dragon?

Slow Down & Enjoy the Ride

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2007, 12:03 PM
bamatt
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by MINIclo
We were going to have a Ladies on the Dragon Run and Luncheon for charity...
Didn't y'all do a ladies ride last year? It seems like I vaguely remember something being said about it.

Old 03-29-2007, 12:04 PM
Trinity07
6th Gear
Originally Posted by COOPERation
Thats awesome!

Old 03-29-2007, 12:16 PM
MINIclo
7th Gear Gal
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by bamatt
Didn't y'all do a ladies ride last year? It seems like I vaguely remember something being said about it.
No, I started a thread about it after last year's MOTD. We were going to have an event to support Breast Cancer research (both my mom and aunt are/were survivors; aunt passed away from brain cancer last August ).

The idea was to do a run down 28, to 143 (Robbinsville), to the Bistro for lunch and then back. Actually, it would not be on the Dragon whatsoever...it would be an alternate route!

I just plain ran out of the kind of steam it takes to organize the event. I asked another member of NAM to handle it, but am not sure what happened.

Maybe next year we can put something official together for the gals. I LOVE COOPERation's Synchronized Estrogen design! LOLOLOL!

Old 03-29-2007, 12:19 PM
bamatt
6th Gear
MBE next year Clo. Sounds like a good plan. Just holler if you need some help

Old 03-29-2007, 12:21 PM
Trinity07
6th Gear
MBE next year Clo. Sounds like a good plan. Just holler if you need some help
Yep, I would be happy to help as well!

Old 03-29-2007, 12:25 PM
Hngn on n the psnger seat
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Trinity07
Yep, I would be happy to help as well!

As well for me but i can almost garuntee we will be flying in

Old 03-29-2007, 04:24 PM
Mishka
6th Gear
OK Jen & Trinity will you guys go riding with me when we get there I get to be in the middle
As another newbie, we may join you guys.

Old 03-29-2007, 04:29 PM
Mishka
6th Gear
Originally Posted by COOPERation
My wife loves it!

Old 03-29-2007, 04:59 PM
mmatarella
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
COOPERation you just continue to amaze me! Awesome work!

Old 03-29-2007, 06:15 PM
yumyumdriver
2nd Gear
I may get flamed but I don't really care ...

I would like to encourage everyone to slow down & enjoy the scenery whilst partaking in the Dragon & other surrounding roads this year.

I drive quite spiritedly myself. I do not drive like someone's granny but last year I found that I couldn't ever get on Hwy 28 (which is a requirement to get most anywhere from Fontana Village) without at least one MINI planted frimly up my rear end wanting me to let them pass. Why don't I just pull over you ask? Well, I tried that but as soon as I got back on the road another MINI would come along & start tailgating me wanting the same thing & frankly if I pull over ever 100 feet or so I will never get where I am going. Mind you, while getting tailgated, I was not driving the speed limit myself (NAM site guidelines discourage me from naming the speed at which I was travleing). It got to the point where I dreaded driving anywhere & I just don't see the point in going at break-neck speeds every time I get on the road.

I just wish the attendees this year would not treat the dragon (or surrounding roads) like their own personal race track. Keep in mind there will be over 400 MINIS on the roads in May & I would just like to encourage everyone to slow down a bit & take the time to actually enjoy the ride
Thanks, very well said Bamatt. We too found this to happen a couple times to us last year. We ended up pitching our car in the dirt to avoid an accident with someone who overshot a turn. He was coming in to a corner so hot that when he got on the brakes he started to bounce right across my lane..., the MINI on his tail at the time cut in close and took the inside line and passed us both. The first guy and his wife looked me up later in the day to say they were sorry. They told me the MINI behind him was pushing him 20 to 30 over the limit, he was so stressed watching the road that he couldn't get into any turn offs to let him pass untill it was to late.
So I think Bamatt should be given a big for reminding us to play nice

Old 03-29-2007, 06:17 PM
IsAMini
6th Gear
Hey, I'll help too, Clo. Sounds great!!!! I just LOVE the design......is it an actual shirt or just to tease us? So cute. There are lots of us gals with cars of our own. So there. :-)

Old 03-29-2007, 06:33 PM
Drewmon
2nd Gear
I agree, given the anticipated number of MINIs/Minis and Audis scheduled to be in the vicinity this year I seriously doubt too many folks will have the occassion to drive 10/10ths (or even 8/10ths) on the Dragon. Simply too much traffic on too little of a road.

Talking about being a traffic anchor? Last year we encountered a group of decently tuned 1st/2nd gen Toyota MR2 (not the convertible MRS) that were doing exactly what they are best at - carving curves with prowess. I was riding in a decently equipped '06 JCW MCS and JoMo simply could not outpace the scrappy MR2s (alhough the JCW is easily quicker - more torque).

At least the MR2 drivers were patient with us as we hammered down the tail foolishly thinking we could smoke 'em...

Also remember that the local hunters don't take kindly to having us foreigners in 'dems hunting area. They were pretty keen on breaking glass bottles of oil on the Dragon across the past two years. Oil + glass + car = pucker time...

Old 03-29-2007, 07:02 PM
MINIBee
6th Gear
Thanks for having the courage to speak up about this even when you knew some folks wouldn't like it. It needs to be said, plain and simple.

I have driven the Dragon once in a rented Nissan Murano (and that was a challenge, for sure!). This will be the first time in my MINI and I'm looking forward to it. I just hope the few people who think this event is about themselves don't ruin it for everyone else. This event is about the MINI community. I haven't even attended a MOTD and I know that. The road will always be there. If you want to take risks and drive it real fast that's fine. Just do it another time when you won't be subjecting innocent people to your lack of good judgement.

I may get flamed but I don't really care ...

I would like to encourage everyone to slow down & enjoy the scenery whilst partaking in the Dragon & other surrounding roads this year.

I drive quite spiritedly myself. I do not drive like someone's granny but last year I found that I couldn't ever get on Hwy 28 (which is a requirement to get most anywhere from Fontana Village) without at least one MINI planted frimly up my rear end wanting me to let them pass. Why don't I just pull over you ask? Well, I tried that but as soon as I got back on the road another MINI would come along & start tailgating me wanting the same thing & frankly if I pull over ever 100 feet or so I will never get where I am going. Mind you, while getting tailgated, I was not driving the speed limit myself (NAM site guidelines discourage me from naming the speed at which I was travleing). It got to the point where I dreaded driving anywhere & I just don't see the point in going at break-neck speeds every time I get on the road.

I just wish the attendees this year would not treat the dragon (or surrounding roads) like their own personal race track. Keep in mind there will be over 400 MINIS on the roads in May & I would just like to encourage everyone to slow down a bit & take the time to actually enjoy the ride

Old 03-29-2007, 07:07 PM
kgdblu
6th Gear
I agree with what Teresa's saying. These roads, and not just the Dragon, are all pretty twisty...heck, you're in the middle of the Great Smokies. Generally, they're 2 lane.
Because of the sparse population and the terrain, there are very few places in the area where one can pull off safely if they have a speed demon on their butt....especially if you're trying to drive fast. The Dragon has among the least pulloffs...you'll see why.
If you feel the need for speed...go to a track. On these roads, speed kills, plain and simple.
We've never had anyone seriously hurt during past MOTDs...let's maintain that record. I don't want MOTD07, or any of them, to be the one remembered because of injury or fatality. please.

Old 03-29-2007, 07:19 PM
Yucca Patrol
Coordinator :: Alabama Motoring Society & South East
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Definitely drive at your own pace. Anyone who ends up behind a a slower MINI should have woken up earlier if they wanted to be in front. Nobody ever needs to feel pressured to drive beyond their comfort level nor to make any potentially dangerous maneuvers to allow a faster driver to pass.

I highly suggest that anyone wanting to drive in a spirited fashion without traffic jams must wake up very early in the morning or stay up very late at night. Between late morning and dinner time, take it easy.

Old 03-29-2007, 07:38 PM
Louispup
5th Gear
Originally Posted by Drewmon
They were pretty keen on breaking glass bottles of oil on the Dragon across the past two years.
Tell me you're kidding.

Old 03-29-2007, 07:56 PM
welshmenwillnotyield
6th Gear
Nope...it's a fact...and a sad one, at that.

Old 03-29-2007, 08:05 PM
bamatt
6th Gear
I heard about oil getting put out in the road for MOTD3. Did it happen last year too

Old 03-29-2007, 08:08 PM
kgdblu
6th Gear
to my knowledge..no, not last year.

Old 03-29-2007, 08:24 PM
MINIclo
7th Gear Gal
It was in 2005 that someone in a pickup truck was spotted leaving the scene after dumping oil on the Dragon. Darryl, aka killboy (who takes awesome photos of everyone on the Dragon), told everyone that the locals would take care of the miscreant. All I know is last year, there was no oil dumped.

Another thing to be prepared for is the wildlife. The past couple years there have been a number of very large wild turkeys hunting and pecking along the Dragon, and of course, there are deer and black bears. Keep your eyes on the road, and stay in your lane. Crossing the line is a no-no and can be fatal.

Old 03-29-2007, 09:21 PM
TheWrks
Coordinator :: Michigan MINI Motor Club
Originally Posted by Yucca Patrol
Definitely drive at your own pace. Anyone who ends up behind a a slower MINI should have woken up earlier if they wanted to be in front. Nobody ever needs to feel pressured to drive beyond their comfort level nor to make any potentially dangerous maneuvers to allow a faster driver to pass.

I highly suggest that anyone wanting to drive in a spirited fashion without traffic jams must wake up very early in the morning or stay up very late at night. Between late morning and dinner time, take it easy.

Excellent post
or come few days earlier or stay a couple days later

Old 03-29-2007, 11:41 PM
MINIclo
7th Gear Gal
Time to post this link to the Tail of the Dragon's essay, How to Drive the Dragon, again. Please read and take heed.

Old 03-30-2007, 07:14 AM
Squirlz
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If I get behind traffic, I pull over and wait for the gap to widen. When there are several cars ahead driving liesurely, it's the easiest thing to do.

Old 03-30-2007, 07:26 AM
Greatbear
Moderator :: Performance Mods
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Whatever you do, do not drive at a pace that makes you feel uncomfortable. That goes for the Dragon and everywhere else.

Old 03-30-2007, 08:10 AM
welshmenwillnotyield
6th Gear
Originally Posted by kgdblu
to my knowledge..no, not last year.
My mistake...no, it only happened in 2005, to my knowledge. Still, that something like that would/could happen at all, places a lot of "heads up" awareness on driving THAT particular bit of highway.

Quick Reply: Slow Down & Enjoy the Ride