5th Annual MINIs on the Dragon (May 3-6, 2007) The 5th Anniversary of the largest MINI event in the nation. Ready to take your turn trying to tame the Dragon?

Slow Down & Enjoy the Ride

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2007, 02:18 PM
mozzarella
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by chows4us
Bama, it doesnt matter how many ... that is just a selfish, arrogant ... all about me attitude ... sad ...
Chow's you don't have a MINI do you? Why might I ask do you spend so much time here? You got a smart *** attitude it see to me.

Old 04-01-2007, 02:34 PM
chows4us
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Miska wrote: (and yes, slower traffic does need to try to allow faster vehicles to get around if it is safe to do so. Courtesy goes both ways.)

Your right, as long as they are within the speed limit. As MANY have said, you want to race, take it to the track

That is especially true for the left lane huggers going under the speed limit that can be frustrating for everyone.

Roach, I changed my answer for you three times. Yes, I had a MINI and I'm intending to buy a Gen 2 convertable JCW when they come out ... but your right. Seems like a lot of ppl just want to prove something with their MINIs with posts like the one in question ... and that is NOT what its all about. So ...

Old 04-01-2007, 03:47 PM
welshmenwillnotyield
6th Gear
Originally Posted by roach
Chow's you don't have a MINI do you? Why might I ask do you spend so much time here? You got a smart *** attitude it see to me.
He HAD a MINI, and says he WILL get another. There are MANY folk here who have done just that, and they still post. Look at the sheer number of his posts, and ask yourself if, "prudence before stuffing one's foot in his own mouth", might be a good line for YOU to follow.

Old 04-01-2007, 05:34 PM
o4amini
6th Gear
This is such an awesome event. I think bamatt just wanted us all to know that and take the time to enjoy all that is around us as well partake of such an fabulous stretch of roadway. It's not about the speed! It's a about a camaraderie and fellowship of spirit that makes this such a unique experience.

Old 04-01-2007, 07:57 PM
Trinity07
6th Gear
Originally Posted by LynnEl
I say if your skills don't match the conditions, take another route and get the heck out of the way.
Wow, how nice

Old 04-02-2007, 03:02 AM
Hollister
Coordinator :: South East - Florida
As someone who has been at every MOTD since the first one, I can honestly say that last year, there were several times that people's arrogant attitudes of superiority almost caused accidents. Yes, I'm essentially talking about the famous "Pass A$$" and it seems inevitable that every year there will be more and more of them.
All it took was one time of him basically running my MINI off the road (albeit, my best friend was driving) that has made me realize that no road is worth a life. Yes, I'm going this year, but I'm riding up with some friends. I hope to be able to run the dragon, but if I don't...I won't pitch a fit. For me, MOTD is now more about the MINI Community and the beauty of the area versus the actual dragon. Some may say that's blasphemous, but as a nurse...life is just too damned precious to risk it with other people's driving abilities, or lack thereof.
I echo the majority's sentiments when I say if you feel like you're driving beyond your abilities, pull off or turn around and go back. People tend to think that the Dragon is like a roller coaster at a theme park--essentially safe--but the Dragon can and WILL bite back. I remember the first real accident at MOTD, hearing someone on the walkies saying that someone had crashed during the Midnight Run and that people were injured. It was terrifying...
Lastly, for those of you who push it like the "Pass A$$" I just hope and pray that if, or when, your driving gets to the point that something bad happens, that some innocent person is not hurt.

Old 04-02-2007, 03:58 AM
Loony2N
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Trinity07
Wow, how nice
It's not about nice, it's about safety. If you can't handle the road, you shouldn't be on it.

Old 04-02-2007, 04:01 AM
mozzarella
Banned
It's not about nice, it's about safety. If you can't handle the road, you shouldn't be on it.
It's not a public road? I must be mistaken I thought it was US Highyway 129 my bad.

Old 04-02-2007, 04:45 AM
IsAMini
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Hollister
As someone who has been at every MOTD since the first one, I can honestly say that last year, there were several times that people's arrogant attitudes of superiority almost caused accidents. Yes, I'm essentially talking about the famous "Pass A$$" and it seems inevitable that every year there will be more and more of them.
All it took was one time of him basically running my MINI off the road (albeit, my best friend was driving) that has made me realize that no road is worth a life. Yes, I'm going this year, but I'm riding up with some friends. I hope to be able to run the dragon, but if I don't...I won't pitch a fit. For me, MOTD is now more about the MINI Community and the beauty of the area versus the actual dragon. Some may say that's blasphemous, but as a nurse...life is just too damned precious to risk it with other people's driving abilities, or lack thereof.
I echo the majority's sentiments when I say if you feel like you're driving beyond your abilities, pull off or turn around and go back. People tend to think that the Dragon is like a roller coaster at a theme park--essentially safe--but the Dragon can and WILL bite back. I remember the first real accident at MOTD, hearing someone on the walkies saying that someone had crashed during the Midnight Run and that people were injured. It was terrifying...
Lastly, for those of you who push it like the "Pass A$$" I just hope and pray that if, or when, your driving gets to the point that something bad happens, that some innocent person is not hurt.

Amen and well said. It is about fun....not testosterone or adrenaline.

Old 04-02-2007, 05:16 AM
ImagoX
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by roach
It's not a public road? I must be mistaken I thought it was US Highyway 129 my bad.
I have to agree with Roach here. I'm all for driving "with spirit", God knows, but I really hope that people like LynnEl don't end up behind me when I'm driving the Dragon.

I'm showing up at the Dragon to spend time with other MINI folks, talk cars, see others' rides and generally have a good time. The fact that the road is challenging is like a cherry on top - a sweet addition but it's not the sundae.

Others, however, obviously want to go to drive fast. That's fine, except that this IS a public road with a posted speed limit. Such limits on roads of this sort are generally set for the "lowest common denomonator" driver - your fraidy-cat soccer moms and myopic seniors. Keep in mind that there's ABSOLUTELY NOTHING that prohibits such people from being on the road at any time of the day or night.

"Not being able to handle the road" isn't the point. It's a PUBLIC road which means that anyone with a driver's license CAN and WILL be be out driving, in MINIs and in other cars, and it's everyone's responsibility to drive safe and look out for "the other guy". Worse, tailgating such drivers (who are already driving at their limit, most likely) forces them to spend more of their attention BACKWARDS, worrying about the nimrod crawlng up their tailpipe, where they can least afford it. Trust me - you don't want to be riding someone's @$$ and force them to drive off the road.

I'm sure I'm not alone when I say that I'd hate to have my vacation weekend ruined by a totalled MINI (mine or anyone else's), or by emergency crews holding up traffic to cut a fellow Motoring enthusiast out of a wrecked car.

Old 04-02-2007, 05:38 AM
mmatarella
6th Gear
It's also about the fact there will be MINI's on the Dragon with children. And other cars not part of any event who just use this road as part of their day. It's also about the fact that not everyone on the Dragon is going to be at Michael Schumaker levels of performance. Especially those whose ego seems to have them believing they are.

If you find yourself being held up, try this. I pull over at one of the pull offs and wait for traffic to go far ahead for a while till I see a nice gap. It's much safer and easier for the following car to pull off than for the car with someone right behind him or her to do so. The following car has no one on it's tail and can slow to take to the pull off gently.

If someones so gungho as to not want to pause in your 'continous run' then they need to take to the track and stay off the roads.

Too much aggressive behavior will end up with greater enforcement and ruin the fun for all. In my opinion.

Old 04-02-2007, 06:12 AM
mielnicki
6th Gear
If it's about safety, drive the dragon at the posted 35MPH!

Old 04-02-2007, 06:18 AM
Loony2N
6th Gear
Originally Posted by ImagoX
I have to agree with Roach here. I'm all for driving "with spirit", God knows, but I really hope that people like LynnEl don't end up behind me when I'm driving the Dragon.

I'm showing up at the Dragon to spend time with other MINI folks, talk cars, see others' rides and generally have a good time. The fact that the road is challenging is like a cherry on top - a sweet addition but it's not the sundae.

Others, however, obviously want to go to drive fast. That's fine, except that this IS a public road with a posted speed limit. Such limits on roads of this sort are generally set for the "lowest common denomonator" driver - your fraidy-cat soccer moms and myopic seniors. Keep in mind that there's ABSOLUTELY NOTHING that prohibits such people from being on the road at any time of the day or night.

"Not being able to handle the road" isn't the point. It's a PUBLIC road which means that anyone with a driver's license CAN and WILL be be out driving, in MINIs and in other cars, and it's everyone's responsibility to drive safe and look out for "the other guy". Worse, tailgating such drivers (who are already driving at their limit, most likely) forces them to spend more of their attention BACKWARDS, worrying about the nimrod crawlng up their tailpipe, where they can least afford it. Trust me - you don't want to be riding someone's @$$ and force them to drive off the road.

I'm sure I'm not alone when I say that I'd hate to have my vacation weekend ruined by a totalled MINI (mine or anyone else's), or by emergency crews holding up traffic to cut a fellow Motoring enthusiast out of a wrecked car.
I saw not specifically referring to that road. Nor do I tailgate or run people off the road. The fact that one may be legally permitted on the road does not mean that they should be on it, if they can't handle it. This is why people are charged when they are in accidents.

Old 04-02-2007, 06:20 AM
bamatt
6th Gear
Pretty much anybody can handle the road at the posted speed limit so what's your point

Old 04-02-2007, 06:23 AM
mozzarella
Banned
Originally Posted by bamatt
Pretty much anybody can handle the road at the posted speed limit so what's your point
+1

Old 04-02-2007, 06:26 AM
Edge
AdMINIstrator
Actually, I don't agree with that statement... I believe that the posted limit is 35 mph... but I don't think a high percentage of drivers can handle the really curvy bits at 35.

That doesn't mean I'm trying to suggest they shouldn't be on it. Everyone has every right to be.

Old 04-02-2007, 06:31 AM
Trinity07
6th Gear
You have no business dictating who can and cannot ride the Dragon. If your concern was really about safety then you wouldnt even be making the comments you are. Is anyone really going to be driving less than the 35mph posted? I seriously doubt it so it appears you have nothing to be worried about.

Old 04-02-2007, 06:32 AM
bamatt
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Edge
Actually, I don't agree with that statement... I believe that the posted limit is 35 mph... but I don't think a high percentage of drivers can handle the curvy bits at 35.
Are there not signs before some curves posting lower speeds I know there are on Hwy 28 but for the life of me I can't remember if there are on 129.

p.s... I believe the speed limit posted on the Dragon is 30 MPH but I could be wrong as I am usually watching the road & not the signage when on it

Old 04-02-2007, 06:39 AM
Mishka
6th Gear
With 376 MINIs(at this time), an Audi Club, motorcycles, the normal local traffic, and if I remember correctly a Carolina Corvette club all being on the Dragon the same weekend I think everyone needs to just accept the fact that you aren't going to be able to drive the Dragon like you may want. If you want to try to drive it in a highly spirited manner, this is not the weekend to try it-choose another less busy time. Please don't risk ruining someone else's visit to the Dragon with an accident or injury.

Old 04-02-2007, 06:47 AM
Loony2N
6th Gear
My point is that if they can't handle it, they should be on it.

Old 04-02-2007, 07:14 AM
mielnicki
6th Gear
Are there not signs before some curves posting lower speeds I know there are on Hwy 28 but for the life of me I can't remember if there are on 129.
Yes there are, and those signs are there for a reason. Your car may be capable of 2-3 times the speed around a bend, however, those signs are there because you can not see around the bend if there might be a reason to stop.

Old 04-02-2007, 07:22 AM
shankrabbit
6th Gear

p.s... I believe the speed limit posted on the Dragon is 30 MPH but I could be wrong as I am usually watching the road & not the signage when on it
I think there are... some drop as low as 10mph

LynnEl -

You speak as though you have the authority to dictate who or who does not have the "ability" to "safely" drive the Dragon. From your assanine reasons which you wrote of why people should or should not be allowed on the Dragon, it seems as though you think of yourself as a fairly "trained" and good driver.

I agree that driving the Dragon is about being "safe". But two thoughts:
1) When I say "safe" I refer to the "safety of everyone", you seem to only care about the safety of your ego and the safety of your "driving enjoyment".
2) I would bet that almost all 16-18 year old permit drivers think they can "safely" navigate the Dragon. So your arguement of "If you can't handle the road, don't be on it" is sort of ridiculous.

Which is why it is the role of the smart driver to drive defensively and responsibly. Like chow said, if you want to go to a place where you can whip around corners and not have to worry about others, then go to the track. Does it give you some sort of ego boost to creep up someone's tail pipe in an attempt blow past all the responsible drivers?

Don't get me wrong, I'll be driving that road as spirited as the next person, but if I come up behind someone who is going slower then me, I would never make them feel uncomfortable. I'm right there with ImagoX... I'm there for the company, the events, the whole MOTD experience... so if some grandma wants to take the Dragon at 30mph... I'll sit back and enjoy the ride.

But I guess slipping away are the days where people put others before themselves.

Old 04-02-2007, 08:06 AM
PEP
Coordinator ::Bluegrass Minis
I didn't see this topic brought up, but if it has been mentioned...sorry.

Remember that when you are arriving or leaving the event, your car is full of junk (...at least mine is), so beware of shifting loads.

Be safe and have fun. I plan to.

Old 04-02-2007, 08:08 AM
ImagoX
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Keep in mind as well that tracks are only ONE WAY (no opposing traffic that may or may not cross the line into your lane), have corner workers with flags to alert drivers of obstructions, are kept swept clear of debris and, most of all, are only open to those that have a special license or have demonstrated to the track owner's satisfaction that they can be on it. There's a LOT of work and effort that goes into making a track able to be driven on fast.

The Dragon has NO such safety measures. Make a mistake there, and you won't end up in a nice soft hay bale or sand trap - you're off a cliff. If you're driving at 95% of your capacity and you round a corner to find a motorcycle over the line in your lane, then you probably won't have enough left over to correct for HIS mistake. People die that way.

I'm just saying...

I don't want to scare people away from driving the Dragon and I'm certainly looking forward to it (kids and all) but please... PLEASE... don't endanger everyone out there by trying to prove something. Drive the limit and let's make it a goal for 100% of the cars that arrive to leave in the same condition that they showed up in.

Old 04-02-2007, 08:12 AM
bamatt
6th Gear
Originally Posted by PEP
Remember that when you are arriving or leaving the event, your car is full of junk (...at least mine is), so beware of shifting loads.
Yes I have to take it slow & easy when arriving & leaving as Petey the puppy will be in the back seat sliding around. He's pretty good on the dragon in the front seat but he can't seem to find anything to hang on to when he's in the back

Quick Reply: Slow Down & Enjoy the Ride