5th Annual MINIs on the Dragon (May 3-6, 2007) The 5th Anniversary of the largest MINI event in the nation. Ready to take your turn trying to tame the Dragon?

Midnight on the Dragon IV

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2007, 03:59 PM
Thameth
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by TReed
Third-ed
I also would like to have a few cocktails on Saturday night since it's the last night and can't if I do Midnight on the Dragon
Fourth....

But maybe we can just make a second group to make a Friday Run. I usually have to leave the Deals Gap area in the afternoon on Saturday so for two years I've had to miss Midnight on the Dragon. I ran Friday right around Midnight after the MINI Drive in, didn't mean to run at midnight but after the raffle and after the long drive from Fontana to Deals Gap it ended up being just past midnight when I got there. I think i made it back to Deals Gap around 1am. On the run back i ran a Hood cam and got video of the entire run. It wasn't very fast of course but very kool and a completely clean run.

We should start a new tradition of a new "Post Movie Dragon Run" or something.

Old 05-07-2007, 04:19 PM
Drillslinger
6th Gear
I'd like to say I'm sorry I missed this, but since I won a set of TSW Springs at the Monte Carlo Night, my disappointment was lessened somewhat
The problem I ran into was that there was alot going on the last night I was worn out after Monte Carlo night and y'all weren't even back yet

Next year though...

Old 05-07-2007, 04:37 PM
Edge
AdMINIstrator
I've never been more happy that I was wrong... but only 75 cars showed - a far cry short of the 225 that signed up. Just goes to show that registration numbers aren't always a very reliable indicator!

Perhaps if the numbers eventually do get huge (in actual turnout), the "close encounters" setup could be extended further along 129 away from Tabcat bridge... some other kind of interesting light pattern?

Looks like Midnight On The Dragon was great again - I'm sorry now that I missed it... although I had a blast at Monte Carlo too (and very lucky!). Perhaps next year the MC night won't conflict... my memories of the first Midnight that I attended in 2005 are fantastic.

Old 05-07-2007, 04:43 PM
Drillslinger
6th Gear
Good point, you were lookin' mighty fine in that Robe Edge

Old 05-07-2007, 11:40 PM
MINIclo
7th Gear Gal
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Edge
I've never been more happy that I was wrong... but only 75 cars showed - a far cry short of the 225 that signed up. Just goes to show that registration numbers aren't always a very reliable indicator!

Perhaps if the numbers eventually do get huge (in actual turnout), the "close encounters" setup could be extended further along 129 away from Tabcat bridge... some other kind of interesting light pattern?

Looks like Midnight On The Dragon was great again - I'm sorry now that I missed it... although I had a blast at Monte Carlo too (and very lucky!). Perhaps next year the MC night won't conflict... my memories of the first Midnight that I attended in 2005 are fantastic.
Where did you get that count, Edge? I was personally there, as always, providing support at the General Store lot, and at the Crossroads of Time at Deal's Gap, where the run commenced, and would like to know how you arrived at that figure.

Old 05-08-2007, 02:49 AM
Thameth
5th Gear
Originally Posted by MINIclo
Where did you get that count, Edge? I was personally there, as always, providing support at the General Store lot, and at the Crossroads of Time at Deal's Gap, where the run commenced, and would like to know how you arrived at that figure.
Earlier in the thread someone mentioned they counted the cars going past at the overlook and counted 75......

Old 05-08-2007, 04:54 AM
Yucca Patrol
Coordinator :: Alabama Motoring Society & South East
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Midnight on the Dragon will continue the tradition of being the last Saturday event of MOTD, but I do highly encourage people to get out there on other evenings too.

koolmini and I did a full moon run on Wednesday and timed it so that we were at the overlook for an incredible bright orange colored moonrise. When we ran back, we'd come around a turn to be greeted by that incredible rising moon.

Old 05-08-2007, 06:36 AM
terryg
4th Gear
We were at the overlook and counted 75 passing us on the way back to Deal's Gap. We were too busy hootin' and hollerin' to count when they passed us the first time

There were a few people from the Audi Quattro De Mayo event up there with us, too. Really nice folks.

Old 05-08-2007, 08:19 AM
Moskito
5th Gear
Originally Posted by TReed
Third-ed
I also would like to have a few cocktails on Saturday night since it's the last night and can't if I do Midnight on the Dragon

It seems to me that people are partying on friday night and thus not really able to drive on midnight of that evening.

With many people leaving early on Sunday and knowing that they will be on the road for quite some time, drinking on Saturday night will not happen as much.

Old 05-08-2007, 08:39 AM
bamatt
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Moskito
With many people leaving early on Sunday and knowing that they will be on the road for quite some time, drinking on Saturday night will not happen as much.
Yeah I prefer to do my drinking on Friday. I don't want a hangover for the ride home Sunday. To me the Midnight Ride is to the Dragon as the Closing Ceremony is to the Olympics so I would like it to stay on Saturday night

Old 05-08-2007, 09:34 AM
BlimeyCabrio
6th Gear
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
My favorite pic...

Old 05-08-2007, 10:19 AM
Edge
AdMINIstrator
Originally Posted by terryg
We were in the Midnight on the Dragon Official Cheerleading group at the overlook, and counted right around 75 MINIs making the return run to Deal's Gap.
Clover... I'm not the sort of person to just pull numbers out of thin air.

Old 05-08-2007, 09:00 PM
Greatbear
Moderator :: Performance Mods
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I caught this one during the midnight run:

Can you see the dragon?

Old 05-09-2007, 04:28 AM
Yucca Patrol
Coordinator :: Alabama Motoring Society & South East
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Neat-O, greatbear!

I know you were taking a bunch of photos that night. Got anything else to share?

Old 05-09-2007, 08:46 AM
TReed
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by Moskito
It seems to me that people are partying on friday night and thus not really able to drive on midnight of that evening.

True, but everyone is partying with their own clubs and not as a whole on Friday night (except via radios ). And it seems like such a waste to have the cash bars set up at the farewell dinner when those planning to do the midnight drive aren't able to support the bartenders.
Just my $0.02

Old 05-09-2007, 07:43 PM
Greatbear
Moderator :: Performance Mods
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Yucca Patrol
Neat-O, greatbear!

I know you were taking a bunch of photos that night. Got anything else to share?
I'm sorting through them now, and was disappointed in many. Seems they were out of focus I guess due to me using manual focus with my glasses on.

I gotta clear room on my web space and post the good ones.

Old 05-29-2007, 08:38 AM
koolmini
OVERDRIVE
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Yucca Patrol
Midnight on the Dragon will continue the tradition of being the last Saturday event of MOTD, but I do highly encourage people to get out there on other evenings too.

koolmini and I did a full moon run on Wednesday and timed it so that we were at the overlook for an incredible bright orange colored moonrise. When we ran back, we'd come around a turn to be greeted by that incredible rising moon.
it was an awesome double moonrise for us that night
btw: we end this month of May with a 2nd full moon (Bluemoon)