5th Annual MINIs on the Dragon (May 3-6, 2007) The 5th Anniversary of the largest MINI event in the nation. Ready to take your turn trying to tame the Dragon?

So what should I bring to the Dragon?

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2007, 09:26 PM
MINInurse
Nationally Known Nurse
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by JustJAY
WHAT!!!! You don't drink no stinkin' coffee.
I am tonight!

Old 03-10-2007, 04:09 AM
BillTheCat
4th Gear
Just a few additions/clarifications to what has already been a fairly comprehensive list...

If you want to build a fire, you'll want to lug your own firewood up there. Fontana's General Store may have a little firewood available, but not much.

If you are a breakfast eater, remember that a lot of events start early in the morning. Usually not enough time to go driving to Robbinsville (30 minutes each way... could be less, depending on who drives) to get morning chow. I usually bring an assortment of Pop Tarts & granola bars, plus individual bottles of OJ- stuff you can grab & go with for breakfast.

And no... the cabins do not have external hose connections. Need to use the car wash near the Adventure Center. Instead of a bucket & a bottle of suds, the Mr. Clean car wash system works nicely, being all self-contained & what-not. Just remember to do only quick washes there, as lines do form... save the detail work for the front of your cabin.

Remember, there's nearlly zero cell phone reception for miles around Fontana & 129. Be prepared to be out of touch with the folks back home.

This part should go without saying, but because this is a remote area, it bears repeating... remember any & all safety equipment. Road flares, reflective triangles, tire plugging kit and/or fix-a-flat/slime & 12v compressor, basic first aid kit, flashlight, etc.

Oh, and don't forget the chargers for all of your electronic toys, of course.

Old 03-10-2007, 06:52 AM
majormini
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by kgdblu
SAM! You got a GP? Cool!! can't wait to see you guys
Nope!! No GP Didn't realize that the siggy was a GP until you mentioned it , Duh However, I like the pic and siggy!!

Sam

Old 03-10-2007, 07:00 AM
thefuturequeenofnebraska
6th Gear
My harnesses are my favorite Dragon accessory!

(A must for anyone tiny like me!! Click the picture for more information!)

Old 03-10-2007, 08:19 AM
Uncle_John
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
This is great, keep em' coming.

Sam - You scared me with the GP!

Tori - I don't do harnesses well.

Old 03-10-2007, 08:42 AM
kgdblu
6th Gear
Originally Posted by majormini
Nope!! No GP Didn't realize that the siggy was a GP until you mentioned it , Duh However, I like the pic and siggy!!

Sam
yer silly

Another thing newbies need to bring to the Dragon, are your best driving skills. As a group, MOTD has never had an accident on the Dragon itself. Between the wildlife crossing the road, nutjob bikers, and other car drivers, the road can be extremely dangerous. If it's rainy or foggy, the danger factor goes through the roof. There's no such thing as a small accident on this road. People die on this road on a regular basis.
I know the subject of safety has been flogged to the nth degree, but in my estimation, it can't be brought up enough. This will be my 5th Dragon, and every year I worry, because the number of newbies grows. So, please..be careful!

Old 03-10-2007, 09:05 AM
MOE4me
3rd Gear
I'll bring my trauma kit and pack the longboard like a surfboard on the roofrack .

Ok, maybe I won't bring the longboard.

Old 03-10-2007, 09:21 AM
kgdblu
6th Gear
seriously, a first aid kit isn't a bad idea. People who are injured up on the Dragon have to be air lifted out generally, so keeping them stable is key.

Oh, another thing...the Dragon is a public road with a 35mph speed limit. If the cops are out, keep your eyes peeled.

Old 03-10-2007, 10:25 AM
Mishka
6th Gear
Originally Posted by MOE4me
I'll bring my trauma kit and pack the longboard like a surfboard on the roofrack .

Ok, maybe I won't bring the longboard.
In addition to the post about injured people being airlifted out, I have read that help can be as much as 30 minutes away if someone is involved in an accident.

My wife is an EMT (I used to be) and we will have our kit with us also. Can't bring a board since Gromit is a cabrio.

Old 03-10-2007, 06:54 PM
agranger
6th Gear
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
for food, I did well with:

1. Coffee and my french press (essentials). I had a cabin and boiled water on the stove.
2. 1 loaf of bread. 1 large bag of chips. 1 jar of Peanut Butter. 1 jar of Jelly.
3. Beer
4. Nice Irish Wiskey for sipping on the porch with a good cigar.
5. Lots of bottled water

I registered for all of the offered meals at Fontana (welcome dinner, brew-swap-bbq, farewell dinner) and picked up a few meals out on drives. I've heard that the fontana restaurant isn't bad either. The PBJ sandwitches filled in the gaps and I never felt deprived or like I was living on PBJ.

I'm also a big fan of Sea-Bands (anti-seasickness elastic bands that trigger accupressure points on your wrists - sailors swear by 'em) for any passengers on the Dragon.

Need: A ball cap and a good hoodie/fuzzy/polartec type thing.

Helpful: A folding camp chair

Old 03-10-2007, 06:57 PM
agranger
6th Gear
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Here's a link to my emergency kit that always rides in the back of the MINI when I'm on the road. Yeah... I'm a bit crazy about it, but it's made my life much easier and I've helped others with it more often that I've needed things from it myself.

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...ad.php?t=59410

Old 03-10-2007, 09:06 PM
JustJAY
6th Gear
agranger, don't forget tow straps I am sorry, I couldn't help it. I know, old joke.

Old 03-10-2007, 10:07 PM
MINIclo
7th Gear Gal
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by vargasgal
I don't know if I should put this here or in the camping thread...does anyone know if they sell firewood at the Fontana store? I am not sure if I should lug my own or not worry about it. I didn't camp last year so I really have no idea.
Fontana's General Store does sell firewood, but we usually buy the Stone Mountain instant logs (they don't smell waxy like Presto logs) at Ingles in Robbinsville. They're very nice in the fireplace, but I think that the bundles of firewood at Fontana are more appropriate for the outdoor firepits.

Old 03-11-2007, 08:46 AM
majormini
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by majormini

Sam
I sold the GP

Sam

Old 03-11-2007, 12:51 PM
kgdblu
6th Gear
like I said...yer silly

Old 03-11-2007, 06:17 PM
GreenIguana
2nd Gear
  • Bring some coffee filters, splendid etc
  • portable dvd (if your cabin lacks a tv) for late night or rainy days.
  • Extra key - just in case...
  • Italian job dvd.
  • Extra towels
  • $$$, MC, amex
  • There was wireless access in the lodge lobby - so bring the laptop/dvd player.

Old 03-11-2007, 06:34 PM
mininvy
2nd Gear
I haven't seen on one's list a spare wheel w/ tire. And torq wrench if had to change a tire. Just my two cents!

woop! 52 days and counting!

Old 03-11-2007, 06:40 PM
awood279
3rd Gear
Are there coffee makers in the cabins?

Old 03-11-2007, 06:44 PM
Motor On
6th Gear
Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
Someone did assure UJ was bringing himself right? And to make sure he left room in the car for him to fit too?

Old 03-11-2007, 07:43 PM
MidSouth MINIac
Coordinator :: MidSouth MINIacs
hey john,,,,,since you are sharing a cabin with the former pres and newpres of Mid-South MINIacs i'd say you need to bring whatever we demand! sam and i will compile a list!
lookin forward to meeting you.
alan

Old 03-11-2007, 07:48 PM
MINIclo
7th Gear Gal
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by awood279
Are there coffee makers in the cabins?
Yes, the cabins come equipped with coffee makers, dishwashers, stoves, microwaves, refrigerators, pots, pans, utensils, flatware, dishes, cups, saucers, bowls. There is more than enough gear to function well. I usually end up buying something in town for the kitchen, like a colander or newer spatula, or aluminum foil, and leave it as a little present to the cabin for the next guests.

Old 03-12-2007, 09:34 AM
vargasgal
5th Gear
Originally Posted by MINIclo
Fontana's General Store does sell firewood, but we usually buy the Stone Mountain instant logs (they don't smell waxy like Presto logs) at Ingles in Robbinsville. They're very nice in the fireplace, but I think that the bundles of firewood at Fontana are more appropriate for the outdoor firepits.

I was actually thinking about bringing a case of those logs. They are about $12 bucks a case at Costco. They are much less of a mess and easier to deal with - no lighter fluid needed, etc. I figured I could always burn them at home if I don't use them at Fontana.

Old 03-12-2007, 09:48 AM
Uncle_John
6th Gear
Originally Posted by MidSouth MINIac
hey john,,,,,since you are sharing a cabin with the former pres and newpres of Mid-South MINIacs i'd say you need to bring whatever we demand! sam and i will compile a list!
lookin forward to meeting you.
alan
Hey, Alan. Oh no, not that "indentured servitude" thing again. I hate when that happens. Thank you Sir, may I have another?

And Drew, I will leave enought room for me, but I might fold the rear seats down. If not, it's going to be hard to pack the piano.

Old 03-12-2007, 11:19 AM
Darkness
5th Gear
- Corkscrew
- Football
- KY Jelly

Old 03-12-2007, 05:48 PM
majormini
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by Uncle_John
Hey, Alan. Oh no, not that "indentured servitude" thing again. I hate when that happens. Thank you Sir, may I have another?

And Drew, I will leave enought room for me, but I might fold the rear seats down. If not, it's going to be hard to pack the piano.
UJ!!!

You don't have a clue as to what you have gotten yourself into

Sam

Quick Reply: So what should I bring to the Dragon?