5th Annual MINIs on the Dragon (May 3-6, 2007) The 5th Anniversary of the largest MINI event in the nation. Ready to take your turn trying to tame the Dragon?

Should we warn these poor people?? *see link*

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2007, 10:27 PM
bluesmini
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Alcoa is just outside of Knoxville. not a bad drive.

Old 03-07-2007, 01:43 AM
mr. jim
4th Gear
As Basil Fawlty would say "Don't mention the war"

Old 03-07-2007, 03:37 AM
BlimeyCabrio
6th Gear
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by mr. jim
As Basil Fawlty would say "Don't mention the war"

Old 03-07-2007, 07:06 AM
Mark
North American Motoring :: Founder
Originally Posted by SpunkytheTuna
Just got a room in the Jameson Inn in Alcoa, so I guess I'll be staying with the Audi guys. I hope they don't get all drunk and sing the Horst Wessel song and march around all night!

I wonder where Alcoa is.
As I grew up in Alcoa I can answer this one Alcoa is a twin city with Maryville (Blount County, TN). You're only about 30-45 minutes from the entry into the Dragon from here. Good location to stay with lots of lodging and meal options nearby. Also, since the autocross is at William Blount High School you'll only be about 15 minutes away from that if you want to attend/participate.

Mark

Old 03-07-2007, 09:24 AM
jasonsmf
5th Gear
Originally Posted by SpunkytheTuna
Just got a room in the Jameson Inn in Alcoa, so I guess I'll be staying with the Audi guys. I hope they don't get all drunk and sing the Horst Wessel song and march around all night!

I wonder where Alcoa is.
I stayed at the Jameson Inn last month when I had a flight cancled back to Cleveland due to weather up here... It is a nice place and the drive to the dragon wasn't bad at all. If I didn't have reservations at Fontana, I think I'd stay there as opposed to Robbinsville- the drive to the dragon is comparable, the area seems a bit nicer, and the proximity to the autocross puts it way up on the list for me

Jason

Old 03-07-2007, 10:46 AM
InTTruder
2nd Gear
"Should we warn these people"
What are we, aliens?

Originally Posted by bamatt
I read thru one of their board threads & they said they heard the Minis were going to be there but that Minis are just BMW's in disguise so MBE they could get the Audi's & Minis all together & we could have a German car fest It was pretty obvious they dunno how many Minis there will be. So do we think there be like 50 Minis for every Audi there

Actually, WE chose this w/e precisely because so many Minis would be there!

We ran a similar event last spring with East division of Rotary Club on the Dragon at the same time. While they are a bit rowdier than the Mini crowd, we all survived. Rotaries actually had a few 'incidents' with one another, but not with us. Peaceful coexistence, or Mutually Assured Destruction?

I think we'll be OK, even with "all" the Minis. They're about the same size as a TT, and there's more than just these few 11 miles of road on our planned routes. Like the Mini crowd, we're doing Cherohala and Foothills. And we'll 'chalk' into smaller groups I'm sure: no freight trains if Audi running through town at a walking pace.

We're certainly not going to be 500+ strong. But we do look forward to a serious oportunity to meet "gear-heads like us", share stories and the road, and make some new friends. Maybe we'll be able to score some Mini swag, cause we're not as 'organized' as you guys are and don't have our own 'cool event stuff' (YET). I think we'll also learn how-to, and maybe we'll have more of these friendly encounters in the future!

Meanwhile, don't worry about us too much. Besides, I covet a Mini to replace my 855 Vovlo Turbo cruise missile!

(some pics from last year's 'virgin' soiree, shared w/ Rotary Club buzz-bombs)

Attached Thumbnails Should we warn these poor people?? *see link*-2006-ecr-deal-s-gap-105-.jpg   Should we warn these poor people?? *see link*-2006-ecr-deal-s-gap-108-.jpg   Should we warn these poor people?? *see link*-2006-ecr-deal-s-gap-14-.jpg  

Last edited by InTTruder; 03-07-2007 at 10:50 AM. Reason: typo
Old 03-07-2007, 10:51 AM
bamatt
6th Gear
Originally Posted by InTTruder
What are we, aliens?
Well you must be from another planet if you think that Minis are German

I look forward to seeing you guys just be sure to stay on your side of the yellow line We were just worried you didn't know how many of us would be there since you were worrying about avoiding the motorcycles. Be sure to come by Fontana Village as that is where we congregate in large herds

Old 03-07-2007, 10:59 AM
InTTruder
2nd Gear
Well you must be from another planet if you think that Minis are German

We look forward to seeing you guys. It just didn't seem like you knew how many of us would be there since you were worring about avoiding the motorcycles

Er, designed and fabricated by Chermans. Must be from Chermany, but certainly not the same 1275 Mini Cooper S I drove in the 70's.

Old 03-07-2007, 11:05 AM
bamatt
6th Gear
Minis are manufactured in Oxford England & as much as I have tried I can never get my local BMW dealership to perform my repairs

Old 03-07-2007, 11:07 AM
InTTruder
2nd Gear
Yeah, one of us will lead the neos through the Dragon. At the drivers' meeting, we'll emphasize safety, separation, and seeing the other guy. It's bad enough if a bike or truck crosses the lello, but worse if we instigate an incident. IMO, an incident means 'class dismissed' for the offender.

Old 03-07-2007, 11:09 AM
MSFITOY
OVERDRIVE
Received 33 Likes on 23 Posts
Battle of Britain, part 2...

Old 03-07-2007, 11:10 AM
InTTruder
2nd Gear
Minis are manufactured in Oxford England & as much as I have tried I can never get my local BMW dealership to perform my repairs
Ach, those guys are chest employees, working stiffs. And yes, my local BMW dealer sells and services the Mini, and the local indie services them on BMW diagnostic machinery.

Old 03-07-2007, 11:13 AM
bamatt
6th Gear
Ach, those guys are chest employees, working stiffs. And yes, my local BMW dealer sells and services the Mini, and the local indie services them on BMW diagnostic machinery.
Actually your local BMW dealership may have opened up a Mini dealership where Minis are sold & serviced from Indie shops they do their own thing.
Yeah, one of us will lead the neos through the Dragon. At the drivers' meeting, we'll emphasize safety, separation, and seeing the other guy. It's bad enough if a bike or truck crosses the lello, but worse if we instigate an incident. IMO, an incident means 'class dismissed' for the offender.
Just remind everyone that many of the Dragon curves are blind to oncoming traffic & the need to stay on your side of the yellow is crucial

Old 03-07-2007, 11:14 AM
TheSilverBullet
4th Gear
I think the irony in all this is, before I had my MINI, I was inches from getting a A4, but last minute chose the MINI

in the end, both great cars... just the MINI was more me haha

Old 03-07-2007, 11:17 AM
InTTruder
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by MSFITOY
Battle of Britain, part 2...
Adler Tag!

Old 03-07-2007, 11:20 AM
InTTruder
2nd Gear
Wilco Matt-

Old 03-07-2007, 11:22 AM
InTTruder
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by TheSilverBullet
I think the irony in all this is, before I had my MINI, I was inches from getting a A4, but last minute chose the MINI

in the end, both great cars... just the MINI was more me haha

If it weren't for the TTQC (an FW-190 on 4 wheels if I ever saw one), I'd own a Mini already (more akin to a Hawker Hunter). Love them both, and I believe any Audi driver worth their salt will respectfully admire any Mini!

I had an A4 w/ mods, and would rather get a Mini S. Now, about that new RS-4.....

Old 03-07-2007, 11:28 AM
InTTruder
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by BoCRon
Oh great, I just saw some posts where there is a dispute over the logic of no passing/crossing the yellow on the dragon. Hopefully they worked it out in another thread, from what I could see it was a draw.

Annette

Our brief will be "NO PASSING". Flip side of that: if you restrain traffic, pull off at the appropriate space and let folks pass. Crossing, IMO, is one step away from homicide.

IF (a VERY strong IF) you should wave me by, it is MY responsibility to do so safely. This is NOT a damn race course. We will share.

Old 03-07-2007, 11:36 AM
TheSilverBullet
4th Gear
Our brief will be "NO PASSING". Flip side of that: if you restrain traffic, pull off at the appropriate space and let folks pass. Crossing, IMO, is one step away from homicide.

IF (a VERY strong IF) you should wave me by, it is MY responsibility to do so safely. This is NOT a damn race course. We will share.
and sharing is indeed caring... or so they say

Old 03-07-2007, 11:38 AM
bamatt
6th Gear
We have a stronger opinion of crossing. It is not limited to just passing. On the dragon it is dangerous to even let one tire cross the yellow or even ride down the center of it

p.s... be careful pulling off the road. Some of those dang pull-off areas drop off quite a bit

Old 03-07-2007, 11:43 AM
InTTruder
2nd Gear
Yeah, this is my third trip in 12 months. I'll make sure and have a full brief for the drivers.

Old 03-07-2007, 11:44 AM
MSFITOY
OVERDRIVE
Received 33 Likes on 23 Posts
Adler Tag!
Try the "multi-quote" button to the right of "quote"...it's fun...

Old 03-07-2007, 11:44 AM
InTTruder
2nd Gear
Yeah, this is my third trip in 12 months. And more in the dim past. We're old friends: she lets me ride, and I take back memories.

Respect: the key to success on The Dragon. I'll make sure and have a full brief for the drivers.

Last edited by InTTruder; 03-07-2007 at 12:49 PM. Reason: typo
Old 03-07-2007, 11:53 AM
ImagoX
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Thanks so much InTTruder! Looking forward to hangin' wit' the Audi peeps!

Old 03-07-2007, 12:28 PM
Drillslinger
6th Gear
Well InTTruder, if you see me and the Frau in DB:

Stop by and say Hello, I can talk about 1.8T's and Quattro all day

This was my last car:

Quick Reply: Should we warn these poor people?? *see link*