5th Annual MINIs on the Dragon (May 3-6, 2007) The 5th Anniversary of the largest MINI event in the nation. Ready to take your turn trying to tame the Dragon?

Anyone ever stay at Phillips Motel?

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2007, 10:28 AM
Cooper Guy
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Anyone ever stay at Phillips Motel?

Has anyone stayed at the Phillips Motel in Robbinsville, N.C.? It appears they have some vacancy for The Dragon run in May. Any input on your experience staying at this establishment would be greatly appreciated.

Old 02-15-2007, 10:34 AM
mmatarella
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Here's a 'me too' so I'll be able to see if anyone replies. I and at least one other couple from DC are booked there.

Old 02-15-2007, 09:32 PM
StJamesG8
2nd Gear
Well, I've never stayed before,but I am booked, so...hopefully it'll be a good time! What the heck, if there are enough Mini people, we'll MAKE it a good time!

Matt

Old 02-16-2007, 07:53 AM
thatatvguy
4th Gear
I have!
It's a very small motel. Like 10 or so rooms - all ground level. Very nice people, but since it is on the corner of the main road, it can be noisy. (ie. read traffic)

But, if you are looking for somewhere just to sleep, it may work for you.

Old 02-16-2007, 09:12 AM
Cooper Guy
4th Gear
Originally Posted by thatatvguy

But, if you are looking for somewhere just to sleep, it may work for you.
Kinda sounds like staying in Vegas... a place to sleep and shower and then off to have more fun! Thanks for the input.

Old 02-16-2007, 09:59 AM
jasonsmf
5th Gear
I stayed in the apartment there last year, located under the restaraunt. I can't speak for the other rooms there; they are most likely much nicer as they appear to be much newer and are located across the street.

I had a hard time sleeping at night listening to the footsteps of some sort of rodents walking on the drop-ceiling tiles above my head..... I guess that's my only real complaint. I'm staying at Fontana this year.

Jason

Old 02-16-2007, 10:18 AM
macsbrg
1st Gear
I stayed there year before last and it was nice and clean. I stayed in a room by the house. I will be staying there this year. Nice drive to the Lodge. Some good restaurants in town.

Old 02-16-2007, 02:46 PM
gnatster
6th Gear
Still have a few rooms left. From someone used to staying at downtown named city hotels the rate of $35 a night is incredible.

Old 02-18-2007, 04:02 PM
hoham
1st Gear
Phillips

First time to Dragon & ... I'm also at Phillips.

I asked on our regional board and... hadn't heard anything negative -anyways... just a place to sleep..

dan / aka HOHAM

Old 02-18-2007, 06:49 PM
Bullfrog
4th Gear
I stayed there last year. Clean, decent beds. Right across the street from an elementary school. No complaints. The quarter car wash is right around the corner. I liked it.

Old 02-19-2007, 08:42 PM
Cooper Guy
4th Gear
Count me in at the Philips. Another friend of mine is booked there, too. Looking forward to the trip! (Man, do I ever have spring fever!)

Old 02-20-2007, 05:46 AM
mmatarella
6th Gear
Cool, sounds like it will be mostly MINIs. I figure it can't be any worse than the cabin I had at Fontana 2 years ago. Luck of the draw I had gotten a awful one.

Old 02-22-2007, 06:47 AM
thumpwag
1st Gear
I've just booked a room there as well. I'm sure it's be a good enough place just to crash. I've got a friend that will be meeting me from New Jersey there.
-Anne

Old 02-22-2007, 11:04 AM
mmatarella
6th Gear
Great Anne! Look forward to meeting everyone. It sure sounds like the place will be all MINI's.

So Who's Who at the Phillips? This'll be my third year to MINI's on the Dragon, but last year my MINI was in the shop and I'm the one who brought the large blue V8 powered counterfeit MINI clubman.

I also edited and printed the guide book last year.

I'm taking some family from MD and VA to Atlanta just about a week before the MOTD, and hope to detour and show them the Dragon on the way down or back.

Old 02-22-2007, 06:56 PM
hoham
1st Gear
Originally Posted by mmatarella

So Who's Who at the Phillips? This'll be my third year to MINI's on the Dragon, but last year my MINI was in the shop and I'm the one who brought the large blue V8 powered counterfeit MINI clubman.
dan w. from Dearborn Michigan (Michigan Mini Org. )
HOHAM on the boards 2006 BRG/MCS ( plate GR8MINI ) First timer.

Old 02-23-2007, 05:33 PM
thumpwag
1st Gear
I'm Anne from Dallas, TX. This will be my first time on the Dragon. My friend Amy will drive down from New Jersey. We are stoked about the trip, total girls week, with plenty of driving!

Old 03-02-2007, 05:42 PM
IsAMini
6th Gear
IsAMini

We stayed there last year and some of the rooms are good and some are really bad. Ours was bad...only $38 a night but OMG. Hadn't been refurbed in 50 years and the shower is so small if you drop the soap you have to get out to pick it up. Also faucets on tiny little sink were missing. And the kicker (for me) was a huge roach. It can be noisy as well as a street goes right through it. We were going to rent one of the 3 bdrm "houses" that are REALLY nice but have decided to go to Microtel. I hear Microtel is full now.

Old 03-04-2007, 10:03 PM
krolyat
6th Gear
Originally Posted by mmatarella

So Who's Who at the Phillips?
Hola Mark! Count a second Mark and I in for Phillips.

Old 03-07-2007, 12:59 PM
Darth_Cooper
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by IsAMini
We stayed there last year and some of the rooms are good and some are really bad. Ours was bad...only $38 a night but OMG. Hadn't been refurbed in 50 years and the shower is so small if you drop the soap you have to get out to pick it up. Also faucets on tiny little sink were missing. And the kicker (for me) was a huge roach. It can be noisy as well as a street goes right through it. We were going to rent one of the 3 bdrm "houses" that are REALLY nice but have decided to go to Microtel. I hear Microtel is full now.
I stayed nearby you guys and have to agree, rat trap central describes our rooms! Tiny bathroom (you could brush your teeth while sitting in the toilet), terrible bed, sooo smelly, all of our stuff stank like smoke when we got home. Staying at Tapoco this year.

Old 03-09-2007, 02:59 AM
IsAMini
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Darth_Cooper
I stayed nearby you guys and have to agree, rat trap central describes our rooms! Tiny bathroom (you could brush your teeth while sitting in the toilet), terrible bed, sooo smelly, all of our stuff stank like smoke when we got home. Staying at Tapoco this year.

Hey Darth.......it was bad huh? They have invested NO money in refurbing that whole wing. Our stuff smelled too and the garbage truck at 4am was a nice touch. :-) HAHA....don't get me started on the bathroom. We also had a drain pipe that drained ALL the time outside our back window. It was an experience. We traded a room at Fontana to be with my brother and cousin at Phillips....I've decided I don't like my brother THAT much. :-) The 3 bdrm "houses" across the street are really nice if you have a group. I like staying in Robbinsville though for eating, shopping, gas, and cell phone service. Hope to see you in May.

Old 03-09-2007, 06:44 AM
zambardo
2nd Gear
My husband and I have been going to Miatas at the Gap for the last 4/5 years. We have always stayed at Snowbird Mountain Lodge (heaven in the mountains) but last year he went without me and stayed at the Phillips. He said it is yes, very old but also clean. We had stopped by there in the past to visit some other Miata people during the event and they had a great group thing going on around the fire pit, visiting, laughing, drinking, and relaxing. I'd view it more like camping I guess regarding the accomodations. The "cockroaches" are actually Palmetto bugs; they are huge and freaky but a part of NC (having lived in Cary for 12 years now) and definitely an adjustment. I am not suprised to hear that you see them even more in the mountain areas. They look for water, not people.

This will be my first time as a MINI owner. Edna (2007 MCS), a PW/B with redwood red leather will arrive in a couple of weeks and she'll be ready to hit the Dragon! We'll also be at the Phillips and can't wait to meet everyone. We're also originally from MI and noticed there will be a few MI's staying there!

Old 03-09-2007, 11:48 PM
Cooper Guy
4th Gear
Originally Posted by zambardo
This will be my first time as a MINI owner. Edna (2007 MCS), a PW/B with redwood red leather will arrive in a couple of weeks and she'll be ready to hit the Dragon! We'll also be at the Phillips and can't wait to meet everyone. We're also originally from MI and noticed there will be a few MI's staying there!
Sounds like a nice looking MINI you have coming. Looking forward to seeing it! You'll have four folks (2 MINIs) from WI staying at the Philips. We'll all have fun!

Old 03-10-2007, 06:58 AM
zambardo
2nd Gear
Hey Cooper Guy, are you bringing both of those MINIs? If yes, I am very excited to see them! They both sound great!

Old 03-10-2007, 08:14 AM
mmatarella
6th Gear
Originally Posted by krolyat
Hola Mark! Count a second Mark and I in for Phillips.
Great! I'm coming in sometime Tuesday as it stands now, but may move that up to Monday. I'd go for the whole previous weekend too (in for a penny) but the Britain On the Green car show is on the 29th and right down the road from my house. Nice show and I take The MINI. Any other early birds?

We need to talk Mark into counterfeiting the Lexus. Did I see somewhere that you're bringing your car too? Counterfeit x 2 time! I used shelf paper for the trucks bonnet stripes last year. Wanted something easy to remove.

Old 03-11-2007, 03:41 PM
Cooper Guy
4th Gear
Originally Posted by zambardo
Hey Cooper Guy, are you bringing both of those MINIs? If yes, I am very excited to see them! They both sound great!
I've tried talking the wife into driving her PW/B MC but she would rather be the co-pilot. Two MINIs would be allow more room, so we'll have to pack light. Another new NAM member from the Appleton, WI area will be driving his '02 MINI down. I think a future post will be needed a couple prior to departure for those driving down from NE WI and Milwaukee areas to plan a caravan.

Quick Reply: Anyone ever stay at Phillips Motel?