5th Annual MINIs on the Dragon (May 3-6, 2007) The 5th Anniversary of the largest MINI event in the nation. Ready to take your turn trying to tame the Dragon?

Fontana Village Rental Policy Clarifications Please??

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2007, 05:44 AM
Moskito
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Amen,
The discussion now unfortunately does not change anything anyway.

Herbert

Originally Posted by BrewSwapGuy
SInce a moderator hasn't jumped in here yet I will. This post is borderline disrespectful to half the people who have posted in this thread. It's ok for you to not agree with Bamatt, Mini2go or myself, but watch it with the way you are phrasing your counter.

Mielnicki hit the nail on the head. This thread was started with the complaint of Fontana giving out errooneous information which led to many people losing their reservation for next year. Had these people been informed that reservations were open, yes, they would have jumped on it as you and others did.

Why don't we all drop the whole issue of who deserves/is entitled to keeping a reservation over multiple years. That was not the intent of the thread and is beginning to lead to some nasty posts.

Old 05-16-2007, 06:06 AM
gnatster
6th Gear
There is no entitlement...but...

Any business should keep and usually does keep loyal customers in mind. To use the Ice Cream Drumstick anaogly some one posted.

If a customer was there day in and day out for 10 years and bought the Ice Cream cone it would behove me as a business owner to keep that person in drumsticks. The customer has shown time and time again they will buy my product. why should I sell my last one to a new person only to annoy a long standing loyal customer.

So while the customer is not entitled to the Ice Cream cone a savvy business owner will reserve, even at risk of not making a sale today, said Ice Cream cone for a proven long standing customer.

Old 05-16-2007, 07:42 AM
bamatt
6th Gear
Originally Posted by awood279
I'm just curious, is it everyone who is ticked off about the change or just those who didn't capitalize on it or weren't aware of it?
I was lucky enough to secure a cabin upon check-out but I still do not think the people negatively effected by the policy change were treated fairly.

Last edited by bamatt; 05-16-2007 at 07:44 AM.
Old 05-16-2007, 07:45 AM
mielnicki
6th Gear
Originally Posted by bamatt
I was lucky enough to secure a cabin but I still do not think the people negatively effected by the policy change were treated fairly.
As one who was negatively affected, I do not begrudge anyone who was lucky enough to get the reservations they wanted. Such is life!

Old 05-16-2007, 07:47 AM
Loony2N
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I was lucky enough to secure a cabin upon check-out but I still do not think the people negatively effected by the policy change were treated fairly.
Why would you be ticked off if you benefited from it? Doesn't make it right. When I was in Greece years ago, I arrived at an archeological site right at closing time, and right behind a French family. The gatekeeper turned the French Family away. But he let us in, noting he liked Americans. Obviously, it wasn't right, but I was glad he let us in.

BTW, I am not suggesting Fontana acted maliciously. My point is simply that, if you benefit, you aren't likely to complain. Doesn't mean those who were disadvantaged shouldn't complain.

Last edited by Loony2N; 05-16-2007 at 07:57 AM. Reason: clarification
Old 05-16-2007, 07:58 AM
SB
6th Gear
And our wallets will reflect this. If I get lucky and get a cabin at Fontana for the next MOTD I'll take it but they are not the only place around that has a waiting list. But for the most part, the other times I go through out the year, I'll be staying at Tapoco. As will I, and have so far twice since my return home recommended Tapoco to friends headed to the Dragon in the coming months.

Old 05-16-2007, 07:59 AM
Mark
North American Motoring :: Founder
Matt,
Thanks for getting this thread back on track. We all realize that there was a miscommunication between Fontana staff and attendees at the event that resulted in burning some bridges relative to next year's event. Fontana has been monitoring this thread and they are PAINFULLY aware of the problem that has been created and want to find a means to fairly distribute reservations for 2009. Unfortunately, since we are the largest event they host, there is a level of growing pains associated with working with us. We are pushing them in ways that will force new policies, procedures, and communication protocols to be put in place...something that will not only better serve us but all the other events they host (especially since they are becoming a hub of automotive and motorcycle events).

I know there is a lot of frustration but I would request that we focus on helping Fontana improve their processes and not turn on each other. All that does is create hard feelings between us when what we really want is to make the future MOTDs a more positive experience for everyone.

Old 05-16-2007, 08:49 AM
bamatt
6th Gear
Originally Posted by mielnicki
As one who was negatively affected, I do not begrudge anyone who was lucky enough to get the reservations they wanted. Such is life!
Keep in mind I managed to secure my cabin via the way we all thought it still worked, at check out It was odd but for some reason I stayed up & packed my MINI Sat nite (which I have never done) & then Sunday I woke unusually early for me. From what I have heard if I had slept even 30 more minutes or had to take the time to pack my MINI, I would not have gotten my cabin

Old 05-16-2007, 10:39 AM
Mishka
6th Gear
Keep in mind I managed to secure my cabin via the way we all thought it still worked, at check out It was odd but for some reason I stayed up & packed my MINI Sat nite (which I have never done) & then Sunday I woke unusually early for me. From what I have heard if I had slept even 30 more minutes or had to take the time to pack my MINI, I would not have gotten my cabin
The only issue I have with this topic is Saturday evening I was told all cabins were already reserved and none were available(this was after we were there Saturday morning when cabins were available and they couldn't finish our reservation due to something with their computer). That is the problem I have with the current situation: Saturday evening = no cabins but on Sunday = people are reserving cabins?

We weren't - and aren't - upset, we just made other arrangements and things worked out for us.

Last edited by Mishka; 05-16-2007 at 10:52 AM.
Old 05-16-2007, 10:42 AM
bamatt
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Mishka
The only issue I have with this is Saturday I was told (a couple of times) all cabins were already reserved and none were available. That is the only problem I have with the current situation.
See I was told by the res desk Saturday night that there were cabins available but that they were too behind in their work to take any more reservations that nite so I should come back Sunday morning to book

Old 05-16-2007, 10:55 AM
Mishka
6th Gear
So, can we crash at your cabin?

Actually we were able to get one - on Monday, go figure - so we are set.

Old 05-16-2007, 12:52 PM
Xiek
5th Gear
Originally Posted by mielnicki
You are mising the point of all this discussion. I was told at check-in, by Fontana staff, that registration for next year's MOTD would not begin until Sunday, during/after check-out. So I waited until Sunday and lost my 3 cabins.

Fontana had been accepting registrations since the beginning of April, which in itself is fine, but to be told by the someone at the front desk, that I need to wait until Sunday, when the person answering the phone in the back is giving away the cabins that I would reserve on Sunday.

I am sorry but that just blows!
You know, I think that that was the best way to say it.. Out of all these posts, I have not read every single thread in a row, but this one seems to jump out as simple, to the point, and not nasty.

All boils down to communication, consistency, and probably a bit of training.

I was a McD Store manager, and we had the 5 why's rule. When a system failed.. you had to ask yourself about 5 times before you got to the bottom line.

Not sure if Fontana has done that or is in the process of doing that. Maybe there are now, after they read this thread again? :P

J

Old 05-16-2007, 01:01 PM
bamatt
6th Gear
So, can we crash at your cabin?
Uuuuhhhh I think we already have like 60 crashing there but you can dang sure come & eat with us at the NSW Dinner Part Deux

Old 05-17-2007, 11:00 AM
Kamofrogg
2nd Gear
The only issue I have with this topic is Saturday evening I was told all cabins were already reserved and none were available(this was after we were there Saturday morning when cabins were available and they couldn't finish our reservation due to something with their computer). That is the problem I have with the current situation: Saturday evening = no cabins but on Sunday = people are reserving cabins?

We weren't - and aren't - upset, we just made other arrangements and things worked out for us.
I was told the same thing Saturday evening. That is why I reserved a room in the hotel instead. We would have preferred a cabin (duh).

Old 05-17-2007, 12:02 PM
ImagoX
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Maybe Fontanna should do reservations like concert tickets... Offer them up at a specific date and time purely on a first come/first served policy. Then the people that got up and stood in line all night can stand at the entrance to the Fontanna with a little cardboard sign around their necks:

PS - no, this is not me. Really. Honest.

Old 05-17-2007, 12:33 PM
vdubdoug
6th Gear
hahah too funny

Old 05-17-2007, 01:47 PM
TheWrks
Coordinator :: Michigan MINI Motor Club
Originally Posted by Kamofrogg
That is why I reserved a room in the hotel instead. We would have preferred a cabin (duh).
1st year Inn Room 05
2nd year 3 bed Cabin 06
3rd year 1 bed Cabin 07
4th year Inn Room 08 wants cabin

Old 05-17-2007, 05:29 PM
cubbyr
4th Gear
I was able to reserve our cabin at check in, I asked if I could, he said yes, and I did.