5th Annual MINIs on the Dragon (May 3-6, 2007) The 5th Anniversary of the largest MINI event in the nation. Ready to take your turn trying to tame the Dragon?

Fontana Village Rental Policy Clarifications Please??

Old 05-08-2007, 04:28 PM
Mini2Go
Coordinator :: Pitt Stop MINI
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by pottermom
Wow. Makes me kind of glad I didn't attend.
I don't understand - You mean the fact that we had 4 days of sheer unadulterated MINI fun doesn't make you salivate and regretful? The only frustration (here) surrounds an issue that we still have 1 year to resolve.

Old 05-08-2007, 05:13 PM
BrewSwapGuy
Formerly PassatDoTd
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Edge
Why only inn rooms? Because I think it's unreasonable to expect cabins with a larger tenant capacity to be pre-reserved for 1 or 2 event-planning people only. Many of the cabins were deliberately "shared" with extra people on couches, in sleeping bags, etc., and I don't think that large event planners are going to be as likely to do that as well.
So not true. I'm keeping my eye out for a 3 bedroom cabin and if I get it then it will be filled with people, not just my wife and I. And the Pittstop club had 20 people in 3 cabins. I don't think the 3-4 main organizers for them are going to go solo in the cabins. The best part of the cabins is having people there with you to share the good time.

Old 05-08-2007, 05:33 PM
Darkness
5th Gear
Originally Posted by PassatDoTd
The best part of the cabins is having people there with you to share the good time.
Agreed. I already have 6 in my cabin for next year, maybe 7, and planning for 15 on the porch each night.

Old 05-08-2007, 05:53 PM
Mini2Go
So not true. I'm keeping my eye out for a 3 bedroom cabin and if I get it then it will be filled with people, not just my wife and I. And the Pittstop club had 20 people in 3 cabins. I don't think the 3-4 main organizers for them are going to go solo in the cabins. The best part of the cabins is having people there with you to share the good time.
Is there any limit to the number of people you're allowed to have in the cabins? We might or might not have had more than 20. And absolutely, the best part is having people to share the good times with!

Old 05-08-2007, 06:44 PM
Edge
AdMINIstrator
LOL OK I stand corrected then.

Old 05-08-2007, 09:19 PM
Mark
North American Motoring :: Founder
Just to throw my .00002 cents into the discussion....

I wasn't that there was anything different in the way that reservations for 2008 were being handled in past years but that's just because I hadn't asked. I have a call into Fontana to talk to them about this. They are aware of the uproar (they emailed me today about it) and I hope to talk to them tomorrow. I don't know that we'll be able to change anything but at least I can work with them to understand how it happened and what we can do to prevent issues like this in the future.

Mark

Old 05-08-2007, 09:29 PM
Drillslinger
6th Gear
Thanks Mark. I'm sure that tempers are still a bit flared up but most folks will calm down in time (even though there's only 358 days until MOTD 08 ). I think the important thing is getting the info from Fontana and making it known so as to reduce the confusion in the future

Old 05-09-2007, 03:00 AM
blalor
6th Gear
Thank you, Mark. I think all we want is consistency. After that, anything we can't handle is our problem!

Old 05-09-2007, 04:53 AM
Mini2Go
Old 05-10-2007, 08:48 AM
Eddie@1FastMINI
Banned
I just wanted to make a quick comment about the houseboat that Eddie and I rented this year at Fontana. Whatever you do, DON'T stay there! We felt blessed to be able to find a place to stay close to the action at a late date (mid-January). However, we had no idea what we were in for!

First of all, the boats are owned by individuals who have no association with Fontana Village. The boats are then managed by the marina, which is only staffed about 12 hours of the day. The marina and the resort do not communicate with each other, thus causing major problems.

We were misinformed by Fontana Village about the accommodations we would be receiving, mostly because they had no idea what they were talking about. We were told we would have 4 bedrooms, plus a hide-a-bed. There was no hide-a-bed, and the 4th "bedroom" was actually another bed in the hull of the boat directly underneath another bed. We tried to take this little snafu is stride.

However, on Friday night when we tried to head to the boat after a long day (and a few beers from the Brew Swap!). We arrived at the marina to find it without power. There was no way to communicate with the front desk from the boat to find out what was going on. So we had to drive back to the front desk, and speak with people who did not have a clue what to do. They eventually figured out that they needed to contact someone from the marina and get them to drive 30 minutes to flip the power back on.

Needless to say, I was irate by the time I finally was able to speak to a manager about the fiasco. Luckily she was able help us out, and resolve the situation. I will be staying at Fontana again next year...but in a cabin!

I know this wasn't quite as quick as I had said it was going to be. I just don't want any other people planning to attend MOTD '08 to make the mistake of thinking they too have a gotten a great opportunity. Regardless of the problems we had, we can't wait to return next year! How many more days?!?

Old 05-10-2007, 10:23 AM
jimteddismini
Neutral
I'm not sure there was any "official" policy for reservations I think it depended on who you spoke to at any given time. I waited in line at the reservation desk on Saturday afternoon, only to be told to make my reservation on the house phone. After many repeated attempts and getting nothing but the busy tone I gave up.

We stayed in a lovely privately owned 2 bedroom, 2 bath cabin, AC/heat, about 20 minutes away. I will book it again for 08. (plus it cost less than Fontanna) When I got tired of walking at Fontana I borrowed a rocking chair on the porch until I was ready to go again.

Being able to stay at Fontana didn't make or break the trip. It's the people, their attitude, and a whole lot of patience. This was our first and it definitely won't be our last. It is WORTH the trip!

Old 05-10-2007, 10:49 AM
BSUCardinalfan
5th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
From what I've heard about some of the cabins (one was described to me as a 'wooden tent') I'm not sure what the big deal is about

My tent was bug free, and managed to stay dry throughout the rain on saturday. Plus, the campgrounds are pretty quiet!

Everyone who can't find accomodations next year is welcome to camp with us!

Old 05-12-2007, 05:50 PM
bamatt
6th Gear
So do we have any clarification yet on the "official" Fontana rental policy? I know we can't do much about the vaselineless bend over that occured this year & while MOTD 2009 may be a ways off I would like to know when I need to start calling to book my cabin for 2009 Or I could just call them every day from now til May '08 to check "can I book yet?" "can I book yet?"

Last edited by bamatt; 05-12-2007 at 05:53 PM.
Old 05-12-2007, 06:36 PM
BrewSwapGuy
Formerly PassatDoTd
Originally Posted by bamatt
So do we have any clarification yet on the "official" Fontana rental policy? I know we can't do much about the vaselineless bend over that occured this year & while MOTD 2009 may be a ways off I would like to know when I need to start calling to book my cabin for 2009 Or I could just call them every day from now til May '08 to check "can I book yet?" "can I book yet?"
Nothing yet. If I hear anything new I'll let you know but the earliest would be the end of next week.

Old 05-13-2007, 09:10 AM
Mark
I'll follow up with them tomorrow. I received a couple of voicemails last week but was never able to speak with my contact directly. I'll provide some type of update as soon as I speak with them and have something to share.

Mark

Old 05-13-2007, 10:51 AM
MLPearson79
OVERDRIVE
Received 10 Likes on 2 Posts
Okay, so I wasn't involved in this fiasco but I am involved in general event planning and I have a suggestion.

True, there is nothing that can be done about the perceived hosejob that went on this year with reservations. But, you CAN start an ongoing policy with them regarding this event, and that way they will always know what to do.

My suggestion would be to allow reservations for the following year for the people who have rooms/cabins at check-in. Inform those people that they have this "priority" at check-in ONLY and if they waive this at check-in, they risk giving up their spot. Then, open up reservations for ALL open rooms/cabins at 8am (or whatever time) the day after the event is over.

This allows those who have had their cabins/rooms for eons to keep it if they make it their own priority to do so at check-in. It also only gives them a window of time to do so - if they don't make up their mind by 8am the day after MOTD, then that room/cabin is available first-come, first-served.

I would imagine that they way it is being done right now is a logistical nightmare - reservations, waiting lists, trying to give people priority based on whether or not they are currently in the spot they want to be - for the folks at Fontana, as well as for those trying to slide into a spot.

They CAN keep a waiting list if they do it the right way. They need to make a general list, again, first-come, first-served. Something pops up, call the first person on the list. If they don't want it, call the 2nd. Etc.

I just think they are trying to do it all in a way that is not beneficial to anyone. I realize they probably rarely have events of this size, and that there were some growing pains associated with this year's event, but if they make a SET policy for this event each year they can minimize the kind of fallout we are seeing in this thread.

Old 05-13-2007, 11:39 AM
bamatt
6th Gear
Originally Posted by MLWagner79
My suggestion would be to allow reservations for the following year for the people who have rooms/cabins at check-in. Inform those people that they have this "priority" at check-in ONLY and if they waive this at check-in, they risk giving up their spot. Then, open up reservations for ALL open rooms/cabins at 8am (or whatever time) the day after the event is over.
Great minds think alike I suggested something very similar earlier in the thread & think doing it this way would makes things go much smoother & ultimately easier for the Fontana check-in desk during our event

Old 05-13-2007, 12:19 PM
jibeho
5th Gear
Great idea!

Okay, so I wasn't involved in this fiasco but I am involved in general event planning and I have a suggestion.

True, there is nothing that can be done about the perceived hosejob that went on this year with reservations. But, you CAN start an ongoing policy with them regarding this event, and that way they will always know what to do.

This allows those who have had their cabins/rooms for eons to keep it if they make it their own priority to do so at check-in. It also only gives them a window of time to do so - if they don't make up their mind by 8am the day after MOTD, then that room/cabin is available first-come, first-served.

I would imagine that they way it is being done right now is a logistical nightmare - reservations, waiting lists, trying to give people priority based on whether or not they are currently in the spot they want to be - for the folks at Fontana, as well as for those trying to slide into a spot.

They CAN keep a waiting list if they do it the right way. They need to make a general list, again, first-come, first-served. Something pops up, call the first person on the list. If they don't want it, call the 2nd. Etc.

I just think they are trying to do it all in a way that is not beneficial to anyone. I realize they probably rarely have events of this size, and that there were some growing pains associated with this year's event, but if they make a SET policy for this event each year they can minimize the kind of fallout we are seeing in this thread.

Old 05-13-2007, 01:41 PM
jogreen1
1st Gear
ow!!

Now I feel bad, sort of. I had no idea what previous policy had been and apparently neither did the guy that did my reservation. There was no one at the desk when I came in Thursday and I reserved a 2 bedroom for next year before I even checked in for the event. I apologize to whoever I booted. Of course, as far as I know I'm in the dogwoods, or whatever those are called.

Someone asked me how I knew I'd like it as it was my first year? How could I not!!! It's MINI's and MINI people!! I had a blast, but the drive from Robbinsville wore me out. It was beautiful and fun, but I'm not used to the hills and curves on a regular basis, and I'm night blind.

We came in Wed night, drove the dragon for the first time in the DARK after a warning of look out for the "critters" by some friendly MINI motorist's parked at the top (OMG ). I was so tired from all of the travel and walking we missed the ice cream drive and the Monte Carlo night.

I really wanted to enjoy more of it than just the vendors. and was so grateful to be closer next year. Plus I registered so late this year we didn't get to do the welcome dinner or the banquet and missed all of the T-shirts. I'm going to try to get in on everything next year.

Old 05-14-2007, 08:54 AM
tsukiji
4th Gear
True, there is nothing that can be done about the perceived hosejob that went on this year with reservations.

This allows those who have had their cabins/rooms for eons to keep it if they make it their own priority to do so at check-in.
So, thems that got hosed, stay hosed & the newcomers keep their spots in perpetuity?

I suggest there be a lottery.

Last edited by tsukiji; 05-14-2007 at 08:56 AM.
Old 05-14-2007, 09:02 AM
Mini2Go
Originally Posted by tsukiji
I suggest there be a lottery.
The more I thought about the whole deal, I realized that "fairness" just isn't going to work with such limited supply of rooms/cabins. So....

I was just going to propose a lottery system. It really seems to be the most "fair" system.

Old 05-14-2007, 09:05 AM
Mark
Originally Posted by Mini2Go
The more I thought about the whole deal, I realized that "fairness" just isn't going to work with such limited supply of rooms/cabins. So....

I was just going to propose a lottery system. It really seems to be the most "fair" system.
I've thought about this as well. Unfortunately there is a hitch here too since not all the accomodations available are the same. You have 3 bedroom cabins, hotel rooms, un-airconditioned cabins, etc. Regardless I'll bring this up with Fontana as a possible solution for 2009.

Mark

Old 05-14-2007, 09:54 AM
COOP310
5th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think that this is the best idea by far. It enables the people who have been going for years the chance to keep going, however it also allows new people their chance to go by having a set time to snag any reservations that may be left. Plus, by having a set time, it allows Fontana to make sure that the registration desk is fully staffed when the rush comes. I would suggest, though, having the "second chance reservations" be available near the end of the event instead of after it, say saturday after lunch. Put the time in the event planner, that way everyone knows when and where to go, and no-one will be mis-informed.

Old 05-14-2007, 10:08 AM
Mini2Go
Originally Posted by Mark
I've thought about this as well. Unfortunately there is a hitch here too since not all the accomodations available are the same. You have 3 bedroom cabins, hotel rooms, un-airconditioned cabins, etc. Regardless I'll bring this up with Fontana as a possible solution for 2009.

Mark
Yes, I also thought about that. It would end up being a number of smaller lotteries based on the type of accommodations - which could potentially get a little complex. Not necessarily insurmountable, but not exactly a simple lottery.

Originally Posted by COOP310
I think that this is the best idea by far. It enables the people who have been going for years the chance to keep going, however it also allows new people their chance to go by having a set time to snag any reservations that may be left.
That WOULD HAVE BEEN the best idea. Unfortunately, as tsukiji already noted, those of us who have been going for years that already lost our spaces will simply have to HOPE for a chance at snagging something in the future. Using the underlying logic with that approach emphasizes that we who were not given that chance this year are the ones who really lose the most.

Old 05-14-2007, 10:15 AM
bamatt
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Mini2Go
That WOULD HAVE BEEN the best idea. Unfortunately, as tsukiji already noted, those of us who have been going for years that already lost our spaces will simply have to HOPE for a chance at snagging something in the future. Using the underlying logic with that approach emphasizes that we who were not given that chance this year are the ones who really lose the most.
Keep in mind that if it goes to lottery, no one would ever be given a chance to rebook their room again & you would be perpetually never knowing where you are staying from year to year. Frankly if it goes to lottery I will probably try to arrange accomodations elsewhere in the future where they will allow me to book my same place from year to year without all the confusion (as is common practice in the hospitality industry)

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Fontana Village Rental Policy Clarifications Please??