R50/R53 :: Hatch Talk (2002-2006) Cooper (R50) and Cooper S (R53) hatchback discussion.

R50/53 SoCal Clutch Labor Assistance

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2015, 02:17 PM
Filmy
5th Gear
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
SoCal Clutch Labor Assistance

2004 MCS R53: anyone in the LA area interested in putting in a Valeo clutch kit for me?

Car is currently driveable, but clutch disk is on its way out and I'm a preventive-maintenance kind of guy. I will provide parts (Valeo kit, rear main seal, etc), beer, labor assistance and some agreed-upon cash donation to your own modding fund.

I could do it myself (I really am capable) but I can't afford to bang up my hands these days (I'm an actor and writer...) and it's a LOT of work for one person. I know I can do better than a recent (non-dealer) labor estimate of...

I'm geographically in the Valley (Valley Village), but I won't mind a bit of a drive to your place of repair. So if someone local who wrenches on their own MCS wants to earn a little extra parts money, PM me with estimates, suggestions or referrals.

Thanks, guys!

Old 09-23-2015, 11:13 AM
PelicanParts.com
Vendor
Received 62 Likes on 59 Posts
Maybe try searching in the regional section of the forum as well. Maybe someone will see your post in there and offer to assist you.

888.280.7799 | 6am - 5pm PST
Old 09-23-2015, 04:37 PM
socalr53
2nd Gear
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I did Valeo clutch on my 2005/MCS an year ago by myself. Your absolutely right, its a lot of work for one person to do especially without a lift. If you don't find a DIYer, I can refer you to two Indy shops in drive-able distance from VV, that do quality work. LMK

Old 09-24-2015, 02:17 AM
Kahnfucious
5th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Filmy
2004 MCS R53: anyone in the LA area interested in putting in a Valeo clutch kit for me? Car is currently driveable, but clutch disk is on its way out and I'm a preventive-maintenance kind of guy. I will provide parts (Valeo kit, rear main seal, etc), beer, labor assistance and some agreed-upon cash donation to your own modding fund. I could do it myself (I really am capable) but I can't afford to bang up my hands these days (I'm an actor and writer...) and it's a LOT of work for one person. I know I can do better than a recent (non-dealer) labor estimate of... I'm geographically in the Valley (Valley Village), but I won't mind a bit of a drive to your place of repair. So if someone local who wrenches on their own MCS wants to earn a little extra parts money, PM me with estimates, suggestions or referrals. Thanks, guys!
I can't help from the east coast but would like to know how you are assessing the clutch being on the way out. Thanks

Old 09-24-2015, 08:59 AM
Filmy
5th Gear
Generally, if you get up to speed on the freeway and floor it in 6th gear - if the tach shows RPM increase but you're not going much faster, your clutch is slipping.

In my case: stop-and-go traffic up a medium incline hill, and my clutch was doing the same thing. Plus, I could smell it. It was also very hot outside, but the clutch shouldn't be slipping under that circumstance. I also have original owner records (who took it only to the dealer) from the car's first seven years (80K miles) and there's no mention of a clutch replacement. The car is just over 100K miles now, so it's likely that the clutch is due for a replacement.

Old 09-24-2015, 09:01 AM
Filmy
5th Gear
Originally Posted by socalr53
I did Valeo clutch on my 2005/MCS an year ago by myself. Your absolutely right, its a lot of work for one person to do especially without a lift. If you don't find a DIYer, I can refer you to two Indy shops in drive-able distance from VV, that do quality work. LMK
Thanks. It may come to that for the clutch, but it's always good to know about indy shops that are knowledgeable about Minis.

Old 09-24-2015, 09:49 PM
Filmy
5th Gear
Originally Posted by PelicanParts.com
Maybe try searching in the regional section of the forum as well. Maybe someone will see your post in there and offer to assist you.
Great suggestion, thanks!

After taking a look at the couple of local regional Mini boards, I find that they're not very current. So I'll keep holding out here for more ideas.

Old 09-24-2015, 10:58 PM
gpwpat
4th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Being in nor cal I can't help. But if you tackle it yourself. It can be done. I just did mine 6 months ago. Give yourself 2 days. One day to get it apart. And a half a day to put it together. I am a very good mechanic. This was my first mini clutch. I started Friday after noon. And test drove Sunday morning. Get yourself a set of 1/2 inch drive extensions and a universal, and long ratchet. I broke my 3/8 extension trying to get out the bellhousing bolts. It is a tuff job. You can do it yourself. You will need a hand to put the tranny back on the engine. It takes 4 hands, a ratchet strap and 4x4 to make a engine support brace. You will want that so you can be under the engine to work and the engine supported from above. The harbor freight tranny jack is a must too.

Old 09-25-2015, 09:57 PM
Filmy
5th Gear
Originally Posted by gpwpat
Being in nor cal I can't help. But if you tackle it yourself. It can be done. I just did mine 6 months ago. Give yourself 2 days. One day to get it apart. And a half a day to put it together. I am a very good mechanic. This was my first mini clutch. I started Friday after noon. And test drove Sunday morning. Get yourself a set of 1/2 inch drive extensions and a universal, and long ratchet. I broke my 3/8 extension trying to get out the bellhousing bolts. It is a tuff job. You can do it yourself. You will need a hand to put the tranny back on the engine. It takes 4 hands, a ratchet strap and 4x4 to make a engine support brace. You will want that so you can be under the engine to work and the engine supported from above. The harbor freight tranny jack is a must too.
Yeah, as I said above, I could DIY it. Beyond effing up my hands, I'd be working in my apartments' parking lot - not a huge problem, but I wouldn't want to leave a working mess overnight. And then there's the issue of schlepping my tools and supplies out there: jack, stands, rolling toolbox, etc; cleaning up any leaks on the asphalt...

No, at this point in my life (and without a garage) I'm fine with paying someone for the labor. I just don't want to fatten the wallet of a dealer or shop owner when it's the blue-collar mechanic who's doing the work; or a shade-tree MCS mechanic.

Old 09-26-2015, 06:06 AM
Shawnnn
5th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Definitely not a job for the apartment parking lot. Hopefully you can find someone to do it for a reasonable amount.

I used to have a side job doing clutches on stealths and 3000gt's. We saved a lot of people a lot of money. They brought the parts and my friend and I put them in for $300 . What a steal for them, but it was easy money for us

Old 09-26-2015, 02:26 PM
Filmy
5th Gear
Originally Posted by Shawnnn
I used to have a side job doing clutches on stealths and 3000gt's. We saved a lot of people a lot of money. They brought the parts and my friend and I put them in for $300
Exactly, Shawnnn. This is what I'm looking for from a Mini mechanic.

Old 09-26-2015, 02:33 PM
bavmotors
6th Gear
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
I'm getting mine done by my Indy, they quoted me 600 for the labor. Ten hours and a rate discount for the amount of hours. But with no flywheel replacement. I think that's quite reasonable, doubt I could get anyone to do it for less that I would trust with the job. What was the quote you received?

Old 09-26-2015, 03:24 PM
Filmy
5th Gear
Originally Posted by bavmotors
I'm getting mine done by my Indy, they quoted me 600 for the labor. I think that's quite reasonable, doubt I could get anyone to do it for less that I would trust with the job. What was the quote you received?
I also think that's pretty reasonable - for a shop that has overhead, etc. But if I could find that same mechanic who does work at home... probably in the $400 range.

My quote was $750 - still not bad - but I'm pretty sure I got a little discount because of having a new flywheel. I've heard pros and cons about the possibility of resurfacing a dual-mass flywheel (my E34 540i/6 had one, and was supposedly resurfaced by a shop when I had that clutch done), so I figure the fact that they don't have to deal with that saves them and me a few bucks.

Old 09-26-2015, 04:15 PM
bavmotors
6th Gear
That is reasonable, 400 would be better. Hopefully someone can help you out I hear it's quite a task

Old 09-26-2015, 05:18 PM
Filmy
5th Gear
Originally Posted by bavmotors
That is reasonable, 400 would be better. Hopefully someone can help you out I hear it's quite a task
A recommendation for you: you stated that your indy repair won't be changing out the flywheel. Are they removing the OEM dual-mass flywheel at all? I suggest they do that no matter what so you can have them replace the rear main seal. I know they're not known as a leaking weak spot, but since you're in there... And it's only a ~$20 part.

If you figure your clutch will last you +50K miles, will your rear main seal go another 50K? Preventive maintenance, and it shouldn't take them 30 minutes extra, off and on - in and out.

Old 09-26-2015, 07:04 PM
bavmotors
6th Gear
Not sure if the flywheel is being removed, clutch still grabs great just has a bad throwout bearing. I think I said something about replacing the deal and he seemed convinced that if it didn't leak it was probably best not to mess with it.