4th Annual MINIs on the Dragon (2006) Ready to take your turn trying to tame the Dragon? Learn all about what will likely be one of the largest MINI gatherings in 2006.

Question about raffle prizes at MOTD

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2006, 12:34 PM
mielnicki
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question about raffle prizes at MOTD

I won a Rogue Engineering Short Shift Kit, at the Ice Cream Social. Do any of the organizers have a list of what company supplied this prize? (Rogue, MINIMania, etc.)

I have a 9/04 build '05 MC. This kit is for older cars, I need to see about exchanging it with the vendor who privided it.

Thanks,
Steve

Old 05-10-2006, 12:51 PM
CmdrVimes
Stuck in Reverse
Originally Posted by mielnicki
I won a Rogue Engineering Short Shift Kit, at the Ice Cream Social. Do any of the organizers have a list of what company supplied this prize? (Rogue, MINIMania, etc.)

I have a 9/04 build '05 MC. This kit is for older cars, I need to see about exchanging it with the vendor who privided it.

Thanks,
Steve
That one was donated by MINI Madness.

Old 05-10-2006, 03:28 PM
Thameth
5th Gear
I guess you had to be present at the raffle to win the prizes? I didn't know where the raffle was being held... i guess i should have read more of my packet. But i was soooo busy driving the Dragon! Ohh and limping home.... :(

Old 05-10-2006, 04:44 PM
mistro
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The raffles were the worst part of the Dragon... And I'm not saying that because all I won was a stinking calendar and some bonnet stripes...
Seriously, it took FOREVER to award these prizes... and it killed the party and delayed getting to other events (especially the Movie). Next year the random number generator should be displayed with the prize awarded (think Airport plane departures, and then after the meal or event any unclaimed prizes should be redrawn. Just my $.02...

Old 05-10-2006, 08:25 PM
mielnicki
6th Gear
Originally Posted by mistro
The raffles were the worst part of the Dragon... And I'm not saying that because all I won was a stinking calendar and some bonnet stripes...
Seriously, it took FOREVER to award these prizes... and it killed the party and delayed getting to other events (especially the Movie). Next year the random number generator should be displayed with the prize awarded (think Airport plane departures, and then after the meal or event any unclaimed prizes should be redrawn. Just my $.02...
There are a couple ways to handle raffles, however, the best seems to be:

1. Call all the numbers up front. (15 prizes call 15 numbers right away)
Then re-draw for prizes not claimed within 2 minutes.

2. Call the best (expensive) prizes first, or else put all winning tickets back in and call the best prizes at the end. That way everyone has a chance to win the best prizes.

3. Make sure you give credit to the vendor who provided the prize. This is very important! It's a form of advertising and it matters to the vendors.

Steve

Old 05-10-2006, 09:35 PM
Sam
4th Gear
Originally Posted by mielnicki
There are a couple ways to handle raffles, however, the best seems to be:

1. Call all the numbers up front. (15 prizes call 15 numbers right away)
Then re-draw for prizes not claimed within 2 minutes.

2. Call the best (expensive) prizes first, or else put all winning tickets back in and call the best prizes at the end. That way everyone has a chance to win the best prizes.

3. Make sure you give credit to the vendor who provided the prize. This is very important! It's a form of advertising and it matters to the vendors.

Steve
I agree that the raffle procedure needs work - and I have some ideas to kick around for next year. The shear number of prizes was really overwhelming.

Your 2nd suggestion really makes no sense - and your third suggestion - of course - and we did

Last edited by Sam; 05-10-2006 at 09:40 PM.
Old 05-11-2006, 04:06 AM
Jen
6th Gear
We were blessed with many many donations of prizes this year and did not do a great job of distributing them evenly among events. It is on our list for improvements next year. It did take forever and we were feeling it with you!

Old 05-11-2006, 04:16 AM
OmToast
OVERDRIVE
Yeah... and while you're at it, next year could I maybe win something?

The prizes were awesome

Old 05-11-2006, 04:23 AM
Moskito
5th Gear
I for example asked several people where the raffle would be (because I had 4 tickets in my registration pack) and those people did not know it either.

Old 05-11-2006, 04:38 AM
TWISTER
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I had heard that some raffles were taking to long. I think the raffle at the movie went well. If it needs work I'll gladly take comments and suggestions.

Old 05-11-2006, 04:49 AM
mielnicki
6th Gear
Originally Posted by samiam01
Your 2nd suggestion really makes no sense - and your third suggestion - of course - and we did
Absolutely it does! Everyone wants to win the best prizes, but if someone wins a hat or tshirt at the very beginning, then they don't even have a chance at winning a sway bar later.

The raffle at the ice cream social was better as most everyone had multiple tickets. But the welcome and farewell dinners everyone had one number.

Steve

Old 05-11-2006, 04:54 AM
SheaJeff
2nd Gear
The raffle at the welcome dinner worked better as the wrist bands were used. That way a bunch of "no shows" weren't called as at the ice cream social.
Thanks to all the vendors for so many prizes.

I won a car cover at the openning dinner. Anyone know who it was from so I can thank them?

Old 05-11-2006, 05:42 AM
Yucca Patrol
Coordinator :: Alabama Motoring Society & South East
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
It seems that all the raffles took place at events that also required one to purchase an event ticket beforehand.

I received raffle tickets in my registration goodie bag, but was ineligible to win anything since I did not purchase dinner or movie tickets that would have allowed me to attend the raffles. I bet a lot of the tickets pulled out of the hat were those of people like me who were not even at the events.

Might work better to distribute the raffle tickets for the specific events so that time isn't wasted by pulling ineligible tickets out of the hat.

Old 05-11-2006, 05:48 AM
Wagnbat
6th Gear
My wife and I lost our tickets... I made sure to bring them to the first dinner raffle, and sometime between Thursday night and Saturday night, they dissapeared. We did find 4 tickets on the ground later, but we were still a bit dissapointed to have lost ours.

Imho, the raffles should have been better announced, as well as what the tickets were for. There were 3 raffles, and the tickets were only good for the last one I believe.

Old 05-11-2006, 05:50 AM
MINInurse
Nationally Known Nurse
The blue raffle tickets were a bit of a cunundrum (?sp) and yes it was hard to get all the pirzes out. It will be something the group disscusses I am sure as something that didn't go quite right seing as how many people lost,forgot about, or weren't at the ice cream social.
Remember, it is REALLY hard to plan for a group this big and to figure out all the little details, it takes time. We learn from our mistakes. It will be better next year. I know the gears are cranking in the heads of the planners!
Thanks for the imput and sticking with the trial and error. And I am not sure Sam was expecting THAT many prizes...Till next year!

Old 05-11-2006, 06:06 AM
Squirlz
6th Gear
I'm sure the drawings will go better in the future. At the Ice Cream Social it was the sheer number of phantom tickets that bogged things down. Wouldn't take much to reduce that.

As far as winners tickets going back into the drawing because they only won a hat....no. You get what you get. Luck of the draw. And I'm not just saying that because I'm bitter over winning NOTHING!!!!

Thanks to Queen Tori for easing my grief by sharing with me some of her graft that she otherwise would have needed to charter a carrier to ship home.

Old 05-11-2006, 07:00 AM
TWISTER
6th Gear
We didnt take $ for the drive-in until it started. That ticket got attendees in drawings for items less than $50. We also had raffle tickets for $1 for our items over $50. All ticket sales went to our charity. I think it went well with this setup. I hope to get suggestions on how we can do it better next year.

Old 05-11-2006, 07:23 AM
MINIclo
7th Gear Gal
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Maybe there can be an insert in next year's goody bag with a schedule of the raffle drawings? It could be a separate little item with the tickets affixed to it, or something.

Also, what about having a special drawing near the Vendor area at 11 AM daily, which would not only give folks a chance for a morning run, but would encourage them to meet the vendors?

Perhaps breaking the drawings up this way would make the final awards a briefer feature with lots of anticipation.

Just some serving suggestions.

Old 05-11-2006, 07:29 AM
TWISTER
6th Gear
I like those Clo

Old 05-11-2006, 07:31 AM
GBMINI
6th Gear
At MINIsOnTop, we have "ticket buckets" associated with each prize or category of prizes.
Everyone is given their raffle tickets still "paired" in the reg pack - on the day, they will drop a ticket in the buckets for prizes they want, and keep the duplicate.

This way, only those attending have tickets drawn, and people will only win what they want to win.

Downside - last year access to the buckets was a challenge with nearly 500 people all at once; we plan to spread the buckets around this year to ease that.

Old 05-11-2006, 07:38 AM
MINIclo
7th Gear Gal
Cool suggestion, Ian! Thanks for sharing!

Old 05-11-2006, 07:40 AM
TWISTER
6th Gear
Thats what we did for our $1 raffle tickets. We had a box for each item. You could buy as many tickets as you wanted and stuff them in any box you wanted to win.

Old 05-11-2006, 07:40 AM
kgdblu
6th Gear
"a stinking calendar..."? nice. that "stinking calendar" was donated for free by a vendor out of the kindness of that person's heart. To belittle a gift like that is the worst kind of rudeness . Yeah, it wasn't a swaybar, but it was free.
Yeah, it took a long time to dispense these free items, but no-one was holding a gun to anyone's head to stick around....
In retrospect, the raffles didn't come off smoothly, something that I'm sure will be remedied in the future.

Old 05-11-2006, 07:46 AM
Edge
AdMINIstrator
Originally Posted by YuccaPatrol
It seems that all the raffles took place at events that also required one to purchase an event ticket beforehand.

I received raffle tickets in my registration goodie bag, but was ineligible to win anything since I did not purchase dinner or movie tickets that would have allowed me to attend the raffles. I bet a lot of the tickets pulled out of the hat were those of people like me who were not even at the events.
Yucca,

As a matter of fact, the "blue tickets" in the full registration bags were indeed used after the Ice Cream Social in the Adventure Center, and that drawing was open to everybody who registered, not just those who paid for the Farewell Dinner and/or Ice Cream Social.

The problem was, this was not clearly planned, documented nor announced. Definitely something to improve upon next year. I did try to use my 2-way radio (including 2W boost) in the AC parking lot to announce the drawing about 15 minutes ahead of time, but I'm not sure how many people heard it. I do know that the rescheduled drive-in movie (which was supposed to be on Friday night, remember) did lower the number of attendees both at the drawing and also at the Dragon Band Jam.

Constructive criticism is always welcome - we want to do better!

Old 05-11-2006, 07:49 AM
MINIclo
7th Gear Gal
Originally Posted by Edge
I did try to use my 2-way radio (including 2W boost) in the AC parking lot to announce the drawing about 15 minutes ahead of time, but I'm not sure how many people heard it. I do know that the rescheduled drive-in movie (which was supposed to be on Friday night, remember) did lower the number of attendees both at the drawing and also at the Dragon Band Jam.

Constructive criticism is always welcome - we want to do better!
Edgie: one word suggestion: BULLHORN!

Quick Reply: Question about raffle prizes at MOTD