4th Annual MINIs on the Dragon (2006) Ready to take your turn trying to tame the Dragon? Learn all about what will likely be one of the largest MINI gatherings in 2006.

Who is staying at the Blue Boar Inn?

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2005, 05:59 AM
BrewSwapGuy
Formerly PassatDoTd
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Who is staying at the Blue Waters Lodge or the Blue Boar Inn?

Hello everyone,

MINIclo turned me on to a small B&B right on Lake Santeetlah in Robbinsville, about 20 miles south of Fontana. It's near the Cherohala Skyway and about 20 minutes from the Dragon. There are only 8 rooms in the place.

If anyone else is staying there for MOTD 2006 please let me know. My wife and I will be in Room #1

Check it out at: http://www.blueboarinn.com

Last edited by BrewSwapGuy; 12-27-2005 at 01:26 PM. Reason: Changed where I was staying
Old 11-22-2005, 06:32 AM
PurplePeopleEater
6th Gear
Looks fantastic.........we are staying at Fontanna, but we might visit that place for a "private" Dragon event :smile:

Originally Posted by PassatDoTd
Hello everyone,

MINIclo turned me on to a small B&B right on Lake Santeetlah in Robbinsville, about 20 miles south of Fontana. It's near the Cherohala Skyway and about 20 minutes from the Dragon. There are only 8 rooms in the place.

If anyone else is staying there for MOTD 2006 please let me know. My wife and I will be in Room #1

Check it out at: http://www.blueboarinn.com

Old 11-22-2005, 07:26 AM
BrewSwapGuy
Formerly PassatDoTd
You'll most certainly be welcome.

I'm looking forward to using their canoes, kayaks and mountain bikes which are free for guests.

Maybe we can have a little gathering at the place with spirits one of the nights. Whatcha think?

Old 11-22-2005, 08:30 AM
Moskito
5th Gear
I heard the Blue Boar Inn is nice but not as close as Fontana Village.
Herbert

Old 11-22-2005, 10:10 AM
BrewSwapGuy
Formerly PassatDoTd
Well Fontana Village is certainly MOTD Headquarters. But Robbinsville really isn't any further from the Dragon than Fontana. And Robbinsville sits right at the beginning of the Cherohala Skyway. Check out this map I made. The red circle is the approximate location of the dragon, the blue is Fontana Village and the black is The Blue Boar Inn.

Old 11-22-2005, 01:32 PM
MINIclo
7th Gear Gal
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
sndwave and I visited the Blue Boar Inn in May just to see the premises and were very impressed with it. I believe it was originally a fishing lodge, and is located at the end of a long, unpaved road that runs along Lake Santeetlah. It has been beautifully decorated and each room is more like a suite, with a sitting area and a little deck or patio. It offers gourmet dining for guests and I believe that breakfast is included in the very reasonable room rate.

Old 11-22-2005, 01:54 PM
StLouieLo
6th Gear
I'm coming down early on Monday with friends from the Miata Club. We are staying at Fontana or The Blue Boar. I do however have reservations at Fontana for Thursday with the MINIs If you arrive early in the week I may see you at the Blue Boar:smile:

Lois

Old 11-22-2005, 04:14 PM
BrewSwapGuy
Formerly PassatDoTd
Our first night there will be Thursday night. Plans might change but for now thats the plan.

Old 12-18-2005, 04:58 PM
mpwald05
2nd Gear
We stayed there last year. It was really nice and food was great. Problems are: you are an hour from Fontana Village and the inn is at the end of a 1.5 mile dirt road with several switchbacks.

Old 12-19-2005, 06:39 AM
BrewSwapGuy
Formerly PassatDoTd
Originally Posted by mpwald05
We stayed there last year. It was really nice and food was great. Problems are: you are an hour from Fontana Village and the inn is at the end of a 1.5 mile dirt road with several switchbacks.
How can it be an hour from Fontana Village? It's 18-20 miles away (I checked) and others said its about 30 minutes (what I expected).

Old 12-19-2005, 06:57 AM
chrisneal
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Well Fontana Village is certainly MOTD Headquarters. But Robbinsville really isn't any further from the Dragon than Fontana. And Robbinsville sits right at the beginning of the Cherohala Skyway. Check out this map I made. The red circle is the approximate location of the dragon, the blue is Fontana Village and the black is The Blue Boar Inn.

Actually, Fontana Village is closer to the dragon than your blue circle. It's right at the base of that big square U-shaped bend in the road near the dam (leftmost end of the reservoir).

Old 12-19-2005, 10:24 AM
Jen
6th Gear
The B&B we stay at is closer toward Fontana than Blue Boar and it took about about 25 mintues to get to Fontana.

Old 12-19-2005, 11:44 AM
BrewSwapGuy
Formerly PassatDoTd
Thanks for the correction Chris. I wasn't 100% sure where the village was on the google map. Your little picture clears that up.

So is the Blue Boar really an hour away from the village?

Old 12-19-2005, 11:45 AM
BrewSwapGuy
Formerly PassatDoTd
Originally Posted by Jen
The B&B we stay at is closer toward Fontana than Blue Boar and it took about about 25 mintues to get to Fontana.
Which B&B and where can I get info?

Old 12-19-2005, 01:06 PM
MinigalCS
Coordinator :: Mini Owners of Northeastern Ohio (Mini NEO)
Why don't you just stay at Fontana?

Old 12-19-2005, 03:29 PM
BrewSwapGuy
Formerly PassatDoTd
Didn't want to stay where the huge crowd would be (especially since they are night owls) and wanted to stay at a nicer place.

Old 12-21-2005, 07:38 AM
Jen
6th Gear
Which B&B and where can I get info?
It is called the Blue Waters Lodge. It is quite small with just eight rooms. I think that they are already booked for next year. They have a web site. We stay there for the same reason. We don't want to be around the crowds and like quiet

Old 12-21-2005, 01:14 PM
Moskito
5th Gear
Originally Posted by chrisneal
Actually, Fontana Village is closer to the dragon than your blue circle. It's right at the base of that big square U-shaped bend in the road near the dam (leftmost end of the reservoir).
Plus another thing to consider is that the Blue Boar Inn might have a Robbinsville Mail address, but it certainly isn't in Robinsville proper. But hey, if you like motoring and quiet that might be nice escape.
As for too much noise at the Fontana Village, that sounds odd to me. Any party I have been to in the US pretty much is over with by 11pm.
:-)
Or are things different at the Dragon?
H

Old 12-21-2005, 01:17 PM
Yucca Patrol
Coordinator :: Alabama Motoring Society & South East
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Moskito
Any party I have been to in the US pretty much is over with by 11pm.
:-)
Or are things different at the Dragon?
H
They are certainly different on Saturday at the Dragon since that is when we do our "Midnight on the Dragon" run. Can't even start drinking until we get home from that in the wee hours of the night!

Old 12-25-2005, 08:05 AM
koolmini
OVERDRIVE
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by YuccaPatrol
They are certainly different on Saturday at the Dragon since that is when we do our "Midnight on the Dragon" run. Can't even start drinking until we get home from that in the wee hours of the night!

Old 12-27-2005, 01:28 PM
BrewSwapGuy
Formerly PassatDoTd
Originally Posted by Jen
It is called the Blue Waters Lodge. It is quite small with just eight rooms. I think that they are already booked for next year. They have a web site. We stay there for the same reason. We don't want to be around the crowds and like quiet
Well we ended up changing our reservations. We cancelled at the Blue Boar and are now staying at the Blue Waters. The travel time to and from Fontana/Dragon was the deciding factor.

Old 12-27-2005, 02:50 PM
MINIclo
7th Gear Gal
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Oh, Matt....you are SUCH a worry-wart! You would have loved the Blue Boar...being in the area is ALL ABOUT DRIVING IT!

As far as the crowds, Fontana Village is spread out and there are community areas, but it is by no means a rowdy atmosphere. It's loads of fun....like camp for grown-ups. Well, some of us are almost grown up!

I expect to see you change your mind again in about two months...

Old 12-28-2005, 05:53 AM
BrewSwapGuy
Formerly PassatDoTd
Originally Posted by MINIclo
Oh, Matt....you are SUCH a worry-wart! You would have loved the Blue Boar...being in the area is ALL ABOUT DRIVING IT!

As far as the crowds, Fontana Village is spread out and there are community areas, but it is by no means a rowdy atmosphere. It's loads of fun....like camp for grown-ups. Well, some of us are almost grown up!

I expect to see you change your mind again in about two months...
Not likely to change again. I never had a desire to stay in Fontana Village so that won't happen. This'll be our big vacation for the year and we love B&B's so we need one of those. And lastly, I just didn't realize which side of the lake the blue boar was on. Had it been on the east side of the lake I would not have changed the reservation. But while I may love driving the wife isn't that crazy about spending all day in the car. So if I can shave off a half an hour for her, I will. All about pleasing the wife. I'm a smart man.

Old 12-28-2005, 07:01 AM
Jen
6th Gear
Well we ended up changing our reservations. We cancelled at the Blue Boar and are now staying at the Blue Waters. The travel time to and from Fontana/Dragon was the deciding factor.
You will love it there. The owner's are great people. The view is wonderful. It is a fun drive to Fontana for the events....and it is very quiet and peaceful and uncrowded. I know that two other of their rooms are already booked by MINI folks - another DCMM member and a couple from the Chicago area.

Old 12-28-2005, 09:09 AM
BrewSwapGuy
Formerly PassatDoTd
If we're lucky all 8 rooms will be booked with MINI folk. We're 50% there.

Quick Reply: Who is staying at the Blue Boar Inn?