3rd Annual MINIs on the Dragon (2005) Ready to make the trek to the Dragon? Learn all about what will likely be the largest MINI gathering in 2005.

Dragon IV - Keepers and Changers

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2005, 11:13 PM
DVLMINI
Former Vendor
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks for a great weekend.

I just landed back at home from my Dragon to Los Angeles drive so I'm a little bleary but wanted to chime in for a bit. This was my 2nd year at the Dragon and I'll be back for sure.

First, huge thanks to all of you that made purchases from MotorSwag over the weekend . Extra special thanks to those who pre-ordered the custom embroidery items. Glad you were happy with them. Drag-On INN shirts are now available at the General Store!

Meeting all of you was terrific and to echo one of BabsWife's posts, it is important for me to meet my customers in person and to let them see and feel the real product. Although my stuff is just decals and t-shirts the sales I made did cover the costs for the trip and Annie(woof!) and I had lots of fun. I was even able to see my sister , her husband and my 3 nieces from Charlotte, NC --We even went horseback riding! There was nothing more precious than to see 4 -year- old Sophie scream bloody murder in fear while being plopped on her horse and then 10 minutes later not want to get off.

To all the coordinators, clubs and planners: You guys did an excellent job on a event that got way bigger than we could have thought. Thank you for making it easy for me. As a 1-guy company, I needed all the help I could get!

I can see how the costs of the trip, family concerns , etc. might dissuade some vendors from showing up especially if you don't share a $117 cabin for 4 nights like I didn't- OUCH$!. But really, I shipped lots of boxes of inventory 2 ways, and although the expense of that was considerable (I couldn't see showing up without something someone might want in the size they wanted. Even at that, I forgot a few things), I would do it again but with some help this time and definitely not via the cranky and lazy local FEDEX Ground driver (another post all together). OctaneGuy and the 8-car MINI Express from Tapoco to Fontana did a much better job! Cheers!

I do have more comments and thoughts on next year but I'll rest up first. I don't think I'll be driving both ways within 10 days again anytime soon. But stopping at 3 MINI dealers on the way , all with a very warm welcome was a plus.

P.S.: Babs and BabsWife...you guys ROCK!

-Jeff

Old 05-13-2005, 11:53 PM
Edge
AdMINIstrator
Jeff,

It was great to meet you too, if only briefly... and I was very happy to be able to support you, even if it was only in a small way (all I bought was a set of blue cooper contacts). Thanks for your enthusiastic participation, I have to concur that it's always nice to see vendors who share the "love" that we all feel about this fantastic little car.

On a side note, I am curious to hear from you and any other California attendees on exactly how you feel the Dragon compares to other windy roads on the west coast. I know that there are some really great ones out there, but are any even comparable?

Old 05-14-2005, 12:41 AM
DVLMINI
Former Vendor
Great to meet you too although it's hard to know who you are from here.:smile:

Any purchase is appreciated and since the Contacts are my baby they are even more appreciated.

There are many great roads in CA but NONE compare to the Dragon for several reasons.
  1. Johnny Law Dog will never let you run them the way you can run the Dragon
  2. See #1.
  3. See#2
  4. None that I know of are that concentrated(curve-wise) in such a short distance. But I'm sure I don't know them all. Here's a good resource http://www.pashnit.com/motoroads.htm
Originally Posted by Edge
Jeff,

It was great to meet you too, if only briefly... and I was very happy to be able to support you, even if it was only in a small way (all I bought was a set of blue cooper contacts). Thanks for your enthusiastic participation, I have to concur that it's always nice to see vendors who share the "love" that we all feel about this fantastic little car.

On a side note, I am curious to hear from you and any other California attendees on exactly how you feel the Dragon compares to other windy roads on the west coast. I know that there are some really great ones out there, but are any even comparable?

Last edited by DVLMINI; 05-14-2005 at 12:46 AM.
Old 05-14-2005, 06:37 AM
whovous
5th Gear
Jeff,

Next year please bring your wheelskins. I'll bring my wallet!

Old 05-14-2005, 08:20 AM
petecrosby
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Jeff, we were very happy to have you at the Farewell Dinner. We had hoped to have some more vendors there (besides you and Hector from R-Speed). I am glad you were able to organize an impromptu wagon-train to get your stuff back to Fontana from Tapoco. Hope to see you at MOTD2006.

-
Pete Crosby
AtlantaMINIs Steering Committee
Parking Director Extraordinaire :smile:

Old 05-14-2005, 08:35 AM
MINIclo
7th Gear Gal
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Edge
Oh, we have some fantastic roads in the SoCal mountains and deserts, but as Jeff (Dvlmini) said above, Johnny Law pays a bit too much attention to the roads for us to play hard on them!

There are many great backroads in the Santa Monica mountains near Malibu and I love to take visiting out-of-state MINI pals to lunch at the beach, then lead them on some great twisties through Malibu and Topanga! Ask agokart, hafid and YuccaPatrol about those fun roads!

Clover

Old 05-14-2005, 09:26 AM
Detroit Tuned
Vendor - 15 Years
Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts
Yes Very nice roads! But due to traffic and a passanger that really didn't want to feel the full G-forces the car could give, we had to keep it kind of slow. some day i'l be back to run them they way they should be run!:smile:

But it is still no dragon! down there it's on of off driving. i had to readjust to city driving when i got back.

Last edited by Detroit Tuned; 05-14-2005 at 09:38 PM.
Old 05-14-2005, 09:37 AM
DVLMINI
Former Vendor
This is probably a good time to start a new thread. Please see

"Dragon West?"

Old 05-14-2005, 12:17 PM
BabsWife
5th Gear
Originally Posted by DVLMINI
P.S.: Babs and BabsWife...you guys ROCK!

-Jeff
Jeff:
Thanks --- you make me blush!

I'm glad you made the trip and was happy to be part of the train back with boxes in the subaru for you --- I LOVE my tee and I have a plan to pick up SO much more.

I can't wait to hear more of your thoughts -- but am most pleased it was a successful weekend for you. Now off to empty my penny jar -- I got to have those PJs.

Hugs,
PB

Old 05-14-2005, 12:49 PM
Greatbear
Moderator :: Performance Mods
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Yep, the Babs' threw themselves into a lot of events and sub-events they should get some deserved recognition too.

Thanks again, and I hope the move to Cali doesnt keep you guys from attending next year.

Old 05-18-2005, 06:39 PM
mattburns1
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by BabsWife
Well, that makes sense why you didn't find anyone --- all the reg peoples were down at the dam (as per the times posted here) to do a "mini" reg just to get the insurance cards in your windows. We didn't open the big reg desk until later in the day.

I see a few comments about organizers needing to be know/do more. It really isn't an issue that we all just wanted to have fun and let our duties slip; personally, my butt is smaller and I have no voice to show for the weekend. (Side note: the people at work think I smoked and drank all weekend ). The reality is that we need more help. There are many ways to help out; but I think that if we are honest about wanting to keep the "grassroots" feel of this event; then no one who shows up should feel like it is being "put on for them" everyone should take an active part in some piece of the pie. There were literally about 50 to 60 people this year who took on a major role in some piece. I'm including the fine folks who throw on a dinner; who manned the check-in; who worked near daily with the various places in NC (and with TVA) for places and permissions. That's not even 1/4 of the total attendance. If we had 1/2 of the attendees doing something, even if it was 2 hours of your time to work and then you were off -- think about the difference it could make.

I'm not trying to be pissy here and I'm THRILLED beyond belief that so many people had an awesome time and are already planning on coming back next year. I just want you to know that all those who did do planning this year want it to be better next year and the only way that will happen is if there is an outpouring of help.

To that end, here's some random and incomplate thoughts on how you (if you are so motivated) might help and still get to enjoy your weekend.

1. Plan a drive (even a small one) Think about somewhere you want to go and how many people you are comfortable bringing with you. I know Cade's Cove was capped at 25 folks -- your drive could be too.

PB
Ok...When you get some time, send me what I need to know about leading a small group on a drive. Call me at 864-316-2134; I 'll get you an email address or snail mail address.

Old 05-18-2005, 08:16 PM
minihoopercooper
3rd Gear
i want to help too - i loooooove planning things so please send me any info about what i can do to help next year -please let me know anything i can do to help

Last edited by minihoopercooper; 05-27-2005 at 06:27 PM. Reason: removal of email address