3rd Annual MINIs on the Dragon (2005) Ready to make the trek to the Dragon? Learn all about what will likely be the largest MINI gathering in 2005.

just got home from Dragon

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2005, 06:29 AM
SpiderX
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
just got home from Dragon

and I wish I was still there.

Everyone is having a ball. It is amazing to see Minis everywhere in such a cool setting. You should all feel good to know that Mini people are great. There was a good party going on when I left last night at 8:30. (I promised my dog sitter that I'd be back)

There are video cameras everywhere so I'm sure we will be seeing the action for months.

You got to go next year........I would not miss it.

In fact I'm thinking of going back up today with my dog, 3 hr drive.

Old 05-07-2005, 07:25 AM
CooperBeagle
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Spiderx-- Sounds nice... too nice... we want the dirt!

Old 05-07-2005, 07:32 AM
lotsie
Banned
Yeah,get back there and let us know whats going on.
Oh,and have fun

Old 05-07-2005, 07:49 AM
Philpug
2nd Gear
A 3 hour drive to go back? What are you doing typing on the computer, pack up some Kibbles & Bits and head back.

Old 05-07-2005, 08:12 AM
Donna/Mike
Sand Dollar Collector
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Yo - we need more scoopage! Take the dog for a nice long outing....and don't forget to bring back pictures... Thanks for the update..

Sure wish we could have gone again this year....

Donna
02' CR/W MCS (gone to MINI heaven - burned up)
05' Cool Blue MCSC "Ariel"
05' HB/W MCS - delivery next week

Old 05-07-2005, 09:35 AM
tygirwulf
2nd Gear
Only three hours, I sure as heck would go back! I'm sure your dog would love having his/her head out the window looking at the nice scenery.

i will be in Chattanooga for a week starting Wednesday evening. I'm sorry that I'll be missing everyone else, but at least I will get to go out there.

Old 05-07-2005, 06:55 PM
Smokey
6th Gear
Sorry to do this, but........

Work to the Dragon: 49 Miles
Home to the Dragon: 109 Miles

Sometimes I take the long way home

Was good seeing those that I did, hope everyone has a safe trip home.

Old 05-07-2005, 07:19 PM
minivern
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by tygirwulf

i will be in Chattanooga for a week starting Wednesday evening. I'm sorry that I'll be missing everyone else, but at least I will get to go out there.

I just got home too! Sniff, sniff. We had SUCH a good time. Poor Mark will probably need to sleep for a week, he was working his fanny off! Everything was great and the weather today was perfect. Can't wait to see the pano shot..I think it will be great. I'm sure others will be home soon and posting pictures and stories galore. I'll just say - make your reservations now, because if you haven't been before you are missing a great time!

P.S. Are you bringing your Mini to Chattanooga? We have a rapidly growing population here! And we have a couple of good twistie roads if you'd like to know where they are!

Old 05-07-2005, 09:46 PM
tygirwulf
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by minivern
P.S. Are you bringing your Mini to Chattanooga? We have a rapidly growing population here! And we have a couple of good twistie roads if you'd like to know where they are!
Of course! I'm bringing it to show a friend and take him out for some free rollercoaster rides. He says he knows a few roads but I'm up for more.

Old 05-07-2005, 11:01 PM
Rawhyde
5th Gear
Received 13 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by tygirwulf
Of course! I'm bringing it to show a friend and take him out for some free rollercoaster rides. He says he knows a few roads but I'm up for more.
Be sure to see Cloudland Canyon and Rock City. They are prety good attractions, but the drive to them will be the real attraction for you. Don't miss Amigo's if you like Mexican food; or J. Alexander's if you like Prime Rib.

Minivern is right...there is a very small but growing population of MINI's in the Chattanooga area. You may see one or two of us. If you see an '05 CR/W MCS/JCW with white S-Lites, it's probably me. Just flash, honk, or give a wave!

Rawhyde

Old 05-08-2005, 07:01 AM
tygirwulf
2nd Gear
I will definitely try to see these places. We already had a pretty full week planned, and I sure do want to get to the Dragon while I'm there. No matter if I don't get through everything, as I'll be heading out there a number of times this summer.

Of course I'll give a wave to any MINI I see. I'm a good owner!

Old 05-08-2005, 06:42 PM
AppleCello
4th Gear
Just got back, 670 miles, about 11 hours on the road. GREAT TIME. I will be back next year.

Patrick

Old 05-08-2005, 06:51 PM
SpiderX
6th Gear
You guys talked me into it. I left Atlanta at about 1:00 after a dog sitter was found and was at Fontana by 4:30. I am so glad I went back. I had a great time.....unbelievable!

Special thanks to Liz and Joan for letting me bunk in with them Sat night and to Ryan and Chad for offering a bed as well.

Misfit Toy (Sid) had my favorite car. His car is a work of art and it just has to be seen to be appreciated.

Mini people are great. I met lots of great people and did a lot of driving. I was very happy with the way my car performed and in general I am very psyched to make my car that much better for next year.

A hundred thumbs up (x100)

Old 05-08-2005, 07:10 PM
Greatbear
Moderator :: Performance Mods
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I just got home too. Car is half unloaded, the rest will wait a bit. Whatta freakin' BLAST!

Extra credit goes to my mom, who at this time last year had undergone lung cancer surgery. I was not sure if she'd be around at this time, but not only did she make it through the surgery, but recovered enough to not only make the trip to Fontana for the event, but also three Dragon runs! Not bad for a 79 year old gal.

She thinks MINI people are the best.

Old 05-08-2005, 09:02 PM
StLouieLo
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Greatbear
I just got home too. Car is half unloaded, the rest will wait a bit. Whatta freakin' BLAST!

Extra credit goes to my mom, who at this time last year had undergone lung cancer surgery. I was not sure if she'd be around at this time, but not only did she make it through the surgery, but recovered enough to not only make the trip to Fontana for the event, but also three Dragon runs! Not bad for a 79 year old gal.

I loved seeing your Mom having so much fun & it was great meeting you, too Hope to see you next year

Lois

Old 05-08-2005, 10:36 PM
Edge
AdMINIstrator
I too had a FANTASTIC time... my only regret that there wasn't MORE time to meet everyone... so many MINIacs and so few days...

Hope to see you all again next year!

Old 05-09-2005, 03:15 AM
MINIclo
7th Gear Gal
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Greatbear

Greatbear's mom, Val, ROCKS!!! It was great to see her enjoying herself amongst all the MINIacs!

Clover

Old 05-09-2005, 03:45 PM
wheelspnr
2nd Gear
Disappointed in the Dragon ... am I alone here ?

yes, driving the Dragon was fun ... and yes, the Country was very scenic.

I'm comparing this event to several other car club events I've attended and these are my observations:
~ Organization was too loose. A central area needed to be manned at least during the day to direct, answer questions, etc. No one was around ever.
~ Nothing started on time. To wit: the exhaust "shoot out" ... it was past 4pm before most the cars showed up .. and then there was no organized "show and tell " ... almost a waste of time. Welcome dinner began late.
~Disappointed in vendor turnout .. I was planning on spending lots of money .. however, most vendors only had cards to hand out .. talk about their products ... the ball field would have been a perfect venue to set up popup tents - open truck doors, setup tables .. etc ... vendors normally PAY TO SETUP !!! That money goes a long way for door prizes, event costs, etc ... this revenue stream was ignored ... and I left with no products .. nada. The vendors could have remained setup the entire weekend.
~ Never heard results of chili cookoff ... shiniest car -- nothing .... again.. reflects on first comment.
~ Yes, the Dragon was fun ... but for round trip of over 1100 mi., I'll zoom around the Ozarks in Missouri next time I have an urge to speed on public roads.
~ Welcome dinner was cold .. and my wife and I were at the beginning of the line. People at the rear had no chance for a hot meal. Found out later a diner in Robbinsville, Lynn's Place, could have catered this and served RIBS ... outstanding RIBS ... or prime rib .... with sides and drink for under $15.00 pp. We were charged $20 for sheepdip.
~ If there was room for only 208 people for the Farewell Dinner at the Tapico Lodge, then cut off registration at 208 for the entire event. I've NEVER EVER attended a function like this that could not accommodate all the people for the final dinner ... big mistake ... you might as well hold a drawing .. and the winning numbers get to attend ....
Maybe I'm splitting a few hairs here - organizing affairs like this are difficult - I know .. been there- done it ... but if no one speaks up and suggests how the event could be better, it's assumed everything was hunkydory .... when it was not.

Old 05-09-2005, 03:56 PM
MINIclo
7th Gear Gal
Originally Posted by wheelspnr
~ Welcome dinner was cold .. and my wife and I were at the beginning of the line. People at the rear had no chance for a hot meal. Found out later a diner in Robbinsville, Lynn's Place, could have catered this and served RIBS ... outstanding RIBS ... or prime rib .... with sides and drink for under $15.00 pp. We were charged $20 for sheepdip.
wheelspnr,

MOTD is a grassroots event, planned by enthusiasts like you...many from far away. I co-organized the Welcome Dinner from Los Angeles. Yours is the first complaint I've received.

I never heard of Lynn's Place. You need to realize that a portion of each Welcome Dinner ticket was earmarked for charity, the rest for the actual dinner and related administrative expenses.

I am sorry for the long lines at the Dinner, but it was impossible to know exactly when everyone would arrive. We did our best to provide a nice dinner for the road-weary.

Why don't you volunteer to help organize an event at the Dragon for 2006? You seem to have a lot to say...perhaps you also have a lot of time and energy to offer?

Clover

Old 05-09-2005, 04:04 PM
MandaBoo
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Well, as my first trip where I tried my best to be an Indian, I had an exceptionally good time. I am typically the type of person that has every bit of a trip planned out and by the end of every trip I am exhausted from being so uptight. We got there at the end of dinner and it was plenty warm. When you are going into an event this large, you have to accept the fact that few things are probably going to start on time. I think the skyway drive lasted longer than planned which probably held up a number of the people who were going to participate in the exhaust shoot-out. I never got the impression that this was going to be the kind of event that was extremely structured such as having a constantly manned headquarters desk or having a large vendor presence. Those vendors that showed up were merely a bonus.

If you didn't hear the results of the Chili Cookoff its b/c you weren't in the room or not paying attnetion when they announced at the end of the night and I believe the people's choice award for favorite car was announced at the Farewell Dinner. I heard all those announcements so if you didn't don't blame anyone but yourself. And yes, I'm sure you could get a meal in a restaurant cheaper than the group meals, but the groups organizing those meals were trying to get funds to donate to charities. And why should they cut off the registration for the entire event b/c 1 of the locations couldn't handle everybody? Not everyone wanted to attend the Farewell Dinner, some left early and some went on their own drives.

The point of this event was to meet fellow MINIers have some good driving and an otherwise good time. So if you choose to attend next time, just relax and try to not get all uptight if things aren't exactly like you thought they would be. :smile:

Old 05-09-2005, 04:07 PM
queenB
Coordinator :: Smoky Mountain MINIs
I think there will probably be a feedback thread up soon. Our group organized the Chili Cookoff and I wrote the touring rally. I, personally, welcome feedback, good or bad, on what we were responsible for. Even though our group may not take on the same activities, what we learn will help others who do.

This event has the interesting flavor of different clubs organizing different events. It's a difficult thing to coordinate with the locale. All in all I think everyone had a good time and event volunteers worked their fannies off. Mine should look smaller now but doesn't for some reason. :smile:

Old 05-09-2005, 04:30 PM
MINIclo
7th Gear Gal
Originally Posted by queenB
Mine should look smaller now but doesn't for some reason. :smile:
I hear ya, queenB! LOL!

Clover

Old 05-09-2005, 05:14 PM
jonoanddee
2nd Gear
well we thought it was a great trip , and being organised by people ; who just like the rest of us, have their own lives, as well as four days of 411 peoples lives to contend with, it was a damn fine job!! hats off to ya and rather you than me to be honest:smile: :smile: !btw we voted for MR BEAN in the fave car contest;who won? we left saturday am

Old 05-09-2005, 05:29 PM
MandaBoo
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I believe that Mr Bean got 2nd and the Taxi won

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong :smile:

Old 05-09-2005, 05:32 PM
MINIclo
7th Gear Gal
Originally Posted by MandaBoo
I believe that Mr Bean got 2nd and the Taxi won

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong :smile:
The Dragon Taxi was awesome! Beautifully executed! I bet people tried to flag it down for a ride!

Clover

Quick Reply: just got home from Dragon