3rd Annual MINIs on the Dragon (2005) Ready to make the trek to the Dragon? Learn all about what will likely be the largest MINI gathering in 2005.

Are you interested in: Pro Panoramic Group Photo

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2004, 09:17 PM
NekoWoman
5th Gear
Location: Fulltime RVer - R53 towed behind a vintage 1979 35' MCI MC-5C Saudi
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Are you interested in: Pro Panoramic Group Photo

We've been looking into a variety of things that would make the 2005 Dragon the best ever...

I've been looking into getting a professional panoramic photographer to take a group photo. This would make a GREAT souvenir!

Everybody brings their cameras to MINI events and some great photographers have beautifully captured images of the Dragon, but one thing that remains difficult is fitting all those cars in one photo. We might be mini, but we're not that small! Sure, from the top of the dam you can get all the cars in a picture, but you can't make out much detail or see the people.

I'd like to find out what level of interest people have in purchasing this type of picture. Our photo would be about 48 inches long and 10-12 inches high. The cars would probably be about four deep (if we have around 200). You'd be able to see great detail with that size.

The photos would cost about about $50 for the print and $165 for a framed/matted print (including S&H to your door). We could get that price down more if we have higher volume. The photographer would add the event logo, date and everything. I'd volunteer to make a who's who of the print if people gave me their info.

Please post whether you're interested or not. If you're interested, please post whether you'd probably get a framed or unframed picture.

Thanks,

Deb

Below there are a couple of examples of his work. Panoramic shots like these are taken with a special motorized camera that costs almost as much as a small car (not a MINI, but hey...). These aren't a photoshop stitch! The last bit is a link to a cool shot in the Bahamas... amazing picture in the round!

http://www.atlantapanorama.com/bahamas_page.htm

Old 09-21-2004, 09:28 PM
MINIclo
7th Gear Gal
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Deb, what if there are 300+ orders? How would that affect the pricing? BTW, I think it's a neat idea. Maybe Mark Ferguson or Babswife (Patricia) have some contacts that could beat that price?

Clover

Old 09-21-2004, 09:36 PM
NekoWoman
5th Gear
Originally Posted by MINIclo
Deb, what if there are 300+ orders? How would that affect the pricing? BTW, I think it's a neat idea. Maybe Mark Ferguson or Babswife (Patricia) have some contacts that could beat that price? Clover
We could probably get the price down as much as 15%, but no promises. I'm working with Mark F. & BabsWife on this one. She's the one who told me to post & see the interest level. Mark would pre-sell the pictures through NAM if we decided to do it.

So would you be interested, Clo? I know I'd like one... I can't tell you HOW MUCH I am looking forward to my first Dragon!!!

Old 09-21-2004, 09:39 PM
MINIclo
7th Gear Gal
Yep, I'd love one! And you'll LOVE the Dragon, sweetie! I shoulda known that Patricia would already be involved! LOL!

Clover

Old 09-22-2004, 09:05 AM
BabsWife
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by MINIclo
Yep, I'd love one! And you'll LOVE the Dragon, sweetie! I shoulda known that Patricia would already be involved! LOL!

Clover
Yep, Clo, you know me....I like to know EVERYTHING....but that's why you LOVE me so.

Old 09-23-2004, 06:39 PM
2005LY
3rd Gear
I'd be interested. Probably a framed one...

Old 09-23-2004, 07:03 PM
Detroit Tuned
Vendor - 15 Years
Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts
i want one!!! (jumps up and down!!)

i'll be the first to ask if i can be in the front row!

Old 09-23-2004, 07:04 PM
SumWon
5th Gear
That sounds like a great idea! Plenty of breath taking scenery to use a backdrop down there.

As a side note, I would be willing to pay for a professional shot of me coming through one of those amazing switchbacks for my wall too.

Old 09-23-2004, 07:52 PM
Donna/Mike
Sand Dollar Collector
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Anybody who buys one - WON'T be sorry. :smile: :smile:

Deb, I don't know if this is the same gentleman we have seen before, but we have several of these panoramic pictures from different national British car events we have attended. If you would like, I may be able to find out who he is. Just let me know. He's awesome!!! There are very few people in the US who do this type of photography...

Chow!

Donna

Old 09-23-2004, 08:53 PM
MINIclo
7th Gear Gal
Originally Posted by SumWon
That sounds like a great idea! Plenty of breath taking scenery to use a backdrop down there.

As a side note, I would be willing to pay for a professional shot of me coming through one of those amazing switchbacks for my wall too.
:smile: SumWon, In addition to the photographer that Deb is lining up, there's a good local fellow, "killboy," a biker/photographer, who stations himself at a variety of spots along the Dragon and takes pix of folks blasting through it. About a week after you've been there, you go to his website and sort through the pix to find one of yourself! He sells them very reasonably, too!

A bunch of us have bought pix from him!

Clover

Old 09-23-2004, 09:02 PM
Ryephile
OVERDRIVE
Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts
This would be COOL. Where would we possibly take this picture? You do know these panoramic shots must have the people/cars arranged in a semi-circular pattern. I think to effectively see the 4-deep parked MINI's the camera would have to be elevated, as finding ampitheatre-style parking will be laughably impossible

Old 09-24-2004, 04:59 AM
SumWon
5th Gear
MINIClo, do you have a link to this "killboy" site? Thanks.

Old 09-24-2004, 07:25 AM
NekoWoman
5th Gear
Originally Posted by Ryephile
This would be COOL. Where would we possibly take this picture? You do know these panoramic shots must have the people/cars arranged in a semi-circular pattern. I think to effectively see the 4-deep parked MINI's the camera would have to be elevated, as finding ampitheatre-style parking will be laughably impossible
The picture would be at the dam as before. Unfortunately, you won't get to see much of the dam... given the angle of the picture, you either get to see all the MINIs up close or the MINIs small and the dam... I'd go MINI up close every time.

As I told him nobody's going to be driving their MINI down with a twelve foot ladder on top, he'll be bringing it. You are totally correct that this type of picture must be taken from above to see everybody clearly.

Here are a couple of examples he shows that explain how he does it... (pretty darn cool!)

"60 feet in the air, Pearl directs the assembly of over 1000 Bicycle Riders Across Georgia in their historic formation panorama group photograph made in 1999. Each person formed an intricate part of each letter or number on the field. The preparation for this one picture took Pearl several months. "The easiest part of this was snapping the picture just getting to that point was extremely demanding", says Pearl. The entire soccer field was used for this historic panorama."

This diagram of the group layout from above shows how this seemingly simple layout was actually a very complex geometric design involving the correction of perspective, curve and depth.

Last edited by NekoWoman; 09-24-2004 at 08:03 AM. Reason: Add info
Old 09-24-2004, 07:28 AM
NekoWoman
5th Gear
Originally Posted by Donna/Mike
Anybody who buys one - WON'T be sorry. :smile: :smile:

Deb, I don't know if this is the same gentleman we have seen before, but we have several of these panoramic pictures from different national British car events we have attended. If you would like, I may be able to find out who he is. Just let me know. He's awesome!!! There are very few people in the US who do this type of photography...

Chow!

Donna
Donna,

This is not the same guy, but he has great credentials. Plus he's in Atlanta, which makes it easier as he doesn't having to worry about flying and then finding a 12 foot ladder to use.

Plus he gets major bonus points for being a former little British car owner... He restored an Austin Healey 3000 Mk 1 back in college and says he loves MINIs.

Old 09-24-2004, 07:34 AM
petecrosby
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by SumWon
MINIClo, do you have a link to this "killboy" site? Thanks.
It's http://www.killboy.com
There is also a link to his webpage from http://www.tailofthedragon.com

Old 01-04-2005, 07:49 PM
BartMack
6th Gear
I'm interested

Old 01-06-2005, 05:32 AM
koolmini
OVERDRIVE
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
i'm still looking (waiting) for that photo from the Midnight Dragon Run last year (2004)

the photo at the Gravel parking lot with the bonnets up & headlights on (facing the rock wall)
it was taken with a slow shutter speed and looked real kool on the dude's digital camera display
if anybody has a copy of this picture please PM me

Old 01-06-2005, 05:59 AM
minimotorin
6th Gear
I'd want one, too cool. Of course I slept through the Dam(n) picture last year.

Old 01-06-2005, 06:13 AM
Wiggles
4th Gear
Yep, I'll take one! Unframed please.

Old 01-07-2005, 03:10 PM
Dai Uy Ted
2nd Gear
I'm game.

Old 01-16-2005, 01:04 PM
MountainGal
2nd Gear
Location: The Appalachian Mountains in Northwest North Carolina (about 12 miles west of Boone, NC)
Framed Pic, Please!

I'd love one of these - framed and matted, delivered to our door - what a deal!! - -

Old 01-16-2005, 01:13 PM
MSFITOY
OVERDRIVE
Received 34 Likes on 23 Posts
I need a picture like that to fill my foyer wall Who will decide who gets in the front row?...Mini arm wrestle? Straws?

Black&white available unframed?

Old 01-16-2005, 03:18 PM
MountainGal
2nd Gear
Location: The Appalachian Mountains in Northwest North Carolina (about 12 miles west of Boone, NC)
Originally Posted by MSFITOY
Who will decide who gets in the front row?...Mini arm wrestle? Straws?
Fairly enough, I've heard that the front rows go to those who are NEW to the Dragon! - -

Old 01-16-2005, 03:41 PM
ImaVunDerBrah
6th Gear
Originally Posted by MountainGal
Fairly enough, I've heard that the front rows go to those who are NEW to the Dragon! - -
sounds good to me! Rookies in the front

I don't care where I am in the line up.. I certainly want a pic though. Unframed for me

Old 01-16-2005, 03:45 PM
MSFITOY
OVERDRIVE
Received 34 Likes on 23 Posts
Well that's good news for first time Minis like me But that would suck for people who have been there the last two years...they'd never be able to get out front even though they're likely the most devoted Doesn't make sense

Quick Reply: Are you interested in: Pro Panoramic Group Photo