1st Gear New members: make an initial post and introduce yourself as you shift from Neutral to First Gear. Current members: meet some of the new members.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Value: Buy a basic S or upgraded base for 424K. Both need to have auto.

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2007, 08:48 PM
amazonracer
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Value: Buy a basic S or upgraded base for 424K. Both need to have auto.

In your opinion, would I regret not buying the 07 S version rather than the base. My budget is no more than $24,000. I can buy an S with auto and basically nothing else or buy the base coupe with some options for a similar price. I also test drove an S 06 auto and it seemed under powered as the gears did not want to keep up with how fast I wanted to go. I may not be explaining this right. Will the new 07 base engine be enouth of a kick as the main reason I like the mc is for its looks, inside and out. Any words of advice for a new mini fan. Thanks

Old 02-02-2007, 11:05 PM
ThatsHot
2nd Gear
If you aren't going for performance, the MC should do fine. It's not going to be slower than any other economy car on the market. Infact, it's probably still quicker. I wanted to know the figures myself, compared to my current car (HHR w/ the 2.2). My HHR has a 0-60 time of 8.51 sec. Feels slow as crap to me, but that's ME. It's still more peppy than others. The MC has a 0-60 of 8.5 seconds and the MCS has a 0-60 of 6.7 sec. Mind you, these are for the manual trans. The MC and my HHR have a very similar 0-60 time, but the MC will feel quicker because it's smaller, more nible, and much lighter.

I do want a quick car, but other factors are important to me too, like having a sunroof for one. I would rather have the MC with a few options and enjoy the car for what it is, than have a quick car but still be disappointed because it didn't have the other options that I really wanted. What's the point of getting there fast if you aren't happy in the process?

Old 02-03-2007, 11:05 AM
Golsco
2nd Gear
I tested all four 06 models.

Here's my opinion. The manual on the S is incredible. I was actually scared of what trouble I could get myself into with this lil' beast.

The auto on the S was underwhelming to say the least. I totally agree that the auto felt like it could not keep up with the engine. I need an auto because of some knee problems and I was very disappointed in the possible fact I would not be getting a MINI.

Totally opposite with the base. I am aware that the new 07 will have the steptronic, but I thought it would give me a good idea what to expect. It did!

I felt about the manual the same way as the auto S. I found it a chore to go from 1st to 2nd. Just not enough go in 1st for me in everyday driving.

However, the auto in the base Cooper was suprisingly enjoyable. The smaller engine could be a better fit with auto than the S. That's my only guess as to why I felt this way when testing these vehicles.

I placed an order for a MINI w/auto. I'm hoping with the slightly larger engine, the steptronic and sport mode will be more enjoyable than the cvt. It's got to...right?

Old 02-03-2007, 11:13 AM
djam43
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Go for the MCS, you can always upgrade it as finances allow.!!!

Old 02-03-2007, 01:50 PM
ThatsHot
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by djam43
Go for the MCS, you can always upgrade it as finances allow.!!!
Well, only to make it even faster than it already is (or at least appear that way). You can't really add other options later on... or at least without a great hassle... like the panoramic sunroof, xenons, DSC, etc...

Old 02-03-2007, 04:03 PM
amazonracer
4th Gear
Thanks for everyones input. Another question.

I am worried about the reliability on the 2007 or MC in general. I just found out something that is disturbing. I tried to find out what the price is of an extended warranty and a company said that California inacted legislation that the car dealership is the only people than can give a warranty. None the less, I put on on 20,000+- miles a year and the basic warranty will be up quickly. I hear people having trouble with window and sun roof motors, transmission, etc. and concerned. Am I just focusing more on the posts as I could go into say a Honda or Toyota post and they would be having trouble with many of the same items. Do most of the MC owners have little to no problems over the long haul or is this a delicate car and people buy it more for hobby use, seems kind of expensive for that. Thanks Again, a soon to be Mini owner I think?.

Old 02-03-2007, 04:54 PM
Golsco
2nd Gear
I used to buy a different car every 18 months or so. Had a friend that I went with to the auto auctions at Manheim. One of the biggest auto auctions.

I've owned every brand car you could imagine. I went to every forum of the auto I've owned and read the same kind of things you are reading. Actually, the only forum that had the least complaints from what I remember was Volvo.

If this is a hobby car I'm in trouble, it will be my only car. I don't worry about the low percentage of problems that are reported, it won't happen to me.

ps. by the way, the only people that have problems are the ones that worry there going to have problems. Stop worrying, enjoy.