1st Gear New members: make an initial post and introduce yourself as you shift from Neutral to First Gear. Current members: meet some of the new members.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

$850 below MSRP!!!!!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2006, 03:48 PM
davisflyer
6th Gear
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
$850 below MSRP!!!!!!!!!!

Wow, you read that correctly! I sent out a fax with a printout of my built Mini from MINUSA and asked for everyones last best offer by this weekend. Initially everyone was either at MSRP or above, then today I got 2 under MSRP, the best being $850 below +125 doc fee (which includes transfer tag) and tax.....woooo hoooo!!!!

Ok, now sing with me, "I'm going to order my Mini next week, la la la la"!!!!

Old 02-17-2006, 03:58 PM
jollygreenmini
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by davisflyer
Wow, you read that correctly! I sent out a fax with a printout of my built Mini from MINUSA and asked for everyones last best offer by this weekend. Initially everyone was either at MSRP or above, then today I got 2 under MSRP, the best being $850 below +125 doc fee (which includes transfer tag) and tax.....woooo hoooo!!!!

Great ! Where and which dealer ? If dealer is real far away you have to factor in the cost of transport. What will you order ?

Old 02-17-2006, 04:26 PM
mdsbrain
OVERDRIVE
Originally Posted by jollygreenmini
Great ! Where and which dealer ? If dealer is real far away you have to factor in the cost of transport. What will you order ?
What they said

Old 02-17-2006, 04:34 PM
eVal
6th Gear
Good deal!

What they said too - transport or driving back does cost and depending on things it can add up.

Old 02-17-2006, 04:47 PM
blammo
3rd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
What they said + when will it be delivered?

I'm currently debating switching my order out-of-state if I can find a better deal...

Old 02-17-2006, 04:59 PM
jibeho
5th Gear

Very Nice!! Just about as good as I did

Old 02-17-2006, 06:21 PM
Gabe
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Expect to see a more of this in the midwest and the northeast through March.

Old 02-17-2006, 10:54 PM
davisflyer
6th Gear
I'm still waiting to hear back from the dealer as to when delivery would be. As far as getting to the dealer, as a pilot I can fly most anywhwere in the country for free, so the only issue would be to put a couple tanks of gas in it.

Old 02-17-2006, 10:56 PM
davisflyer
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Gabe
Expect to see a more of this in the midwest and the northeast through March.
That's interesting, becaus ethats where my two quotes under msrp have come from. What's the reason for this?

Old 02-17-2006, 11:18 PM
Duck360198
6th Gear
I'm confused....how are you able to get dealers to send you offers???

Old 02-18-2006, 06:20 AM
davisflyer
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Duck360198
I'm confused....how are you able to get dealers to send you offers???
I sent faxes to the different dealers with my built Mini. On the cover letter I informed them that if they were interested in earning my business, they should email their last and best offer to me (infering of course that I'm not going to play any games).

Old 02-18-2006, 06:24 AM
Gabe
6th Gear
I sent faxes to the different dealers with my built Mini. On the cover letter I informed them that if they were interested in earning my business, they should email their last and best offer to me (infering of course that I'm not going to play any games).
Keep in mind that this kind of tactic generally doesn't work in the MINI world and only works at this specific time (due to time of year, inventory, etc etc). I wouldn't expect you'd similar results this spring.

Old 02-18-2006, 06:33 AM
Merkursport
4th Gear
Gabe probably meant to add - "Good for you" and "nice buy", 'cause he sounded a bit grumpy just then

Let me add that you seem to know how to buy a vehicle and use excellent tactics -- it sure dosen't hurt to try something like this, especially if you are willing to travel (and have a great drive back!)

Old 02-18-2006, 07:01 AM
Stevie B
4th Gear

That's big news. Shows the MINI is normal afterall. I won't tell you how much of a discount I got so as not to spoil your day, or anyone elses.

Old 02-18-2006, 07:15 AM
Gabe
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Merkursport
Gabe probably meant to add - "Good for you" and "nice buy", 'cause he sounded a bit grumpy just then

Let me add that you seem to know how to buy a vehicle and excellent tactics -- it sure dosen't hurt to try something like this, especially if you are will to travel (and have a great drive back!)

Wow... i didn't mean to sound grumpy. I don't feel grumpy. Hmmm... Wait - I need coffee! That's it.

Anyway nice buy. I just wanted to put it in perspective for everyone who are a bit shocked. Actually these deals have been available every winter since 2003 in the midwest. But just don't get your hopes up if you're buying in May

Old 02-18-2006, 07:50 AM
blammo
3rd Gear
Still no dealer names being thrown around here...

Old 02-18-2006, 08:32 AM
chows4us
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
That's interesting, becaus ethats where my two quotes under msrp have come from. What's the reason for this?
Because there is a glut of cars, and has been for months, at the dealers ...

I checked several months ago at the online inventories and both local dealers had about 50 cars on the lot.

I just checked and one has 57 and the other 63 cars. Every day those cars just sit there costs the dealers money. They will be glad to dump them ... but you might not get one "exactly" like you want.

Old 02-18-2006, 08:43 AM
Supa Coopa
1st Gear
I was 800 below MSRP from Habberstad. I bought a mini they built and it was on the lot. Plus it was the end ofthe month......

Old 02-18-2006, 09:43 AM
davisflyer
6th Gear
Originally Posted by blammo
Still no dealer names being thrown around here...
I don't want to jinx it until I've recieved my final offer. After I place my order, I will list the dealers that offered below msrp.

BTW: the offers that I have recieved have been for a custom order, not a similar vehicle on the lot. Everyone is telling me delivery around mid to late april.

Old 02-18-2006, 11:47 AM
hugh
5th Gear
Originally Posted by [I
I checked several months ago at the online inventories and both local dealers had about 50 cars on the lotI just checked and one has 57 and the other 63 cars. Every day those cars just sit there costs the dealers money. They will be glad to dump them ... but you might not get one "exactly" like you want.

While shopping last March ('05) I was offered $500 off of anything on the lot at two of the six dealers in NY,PA and NJ that I shopped. The others said no-way, and though I didn't push real hard, I had the feeling they meant it.

Chow, when you say 'on line inventories' are you referring to the ones on mini-usa.com? They're the only ones I know of.

I always wondered how often they update them? Also, why do some dealers list the options and others do not.

Old 02-18-2006, 01:59 PM
blammo
3rd Gear
I'm also interested in a custom order (ordering pretty much a base with the JCW kit)... I'd also have to have it delivered, as I don't have the vacation time to spend driving it back to L.A. from the East coast...

Old 02-18-2006, 02:06 PM
chows4us
6th Gear
Originally Posted by hugh
Chow, when you say 'on line inventories' are you referring to the ones on mini-usa.com?

I always wondered how often they update them? Also, why do some dealers list the options and others do not.
No. You need to go to the actual dealers website. Here, try this one http://princetonmini.com/New-Inventory.aspx Thats in NJ I think, 32 new MINIs in stock. Here is Massachusetts http://www.minipeabody.com/New-Inventory.aspx 92 MINIs in stock!

Who was complaining about a shortage? I think they keep them fairly up to date I'd guess weekly

I think they do show the options, click on the "Factory Installed Options Tab". If you find some that are not, I dont think thats a MINI thing ... I've seen that for other car makers as well

Old 02-18-2006, 03:12 PM
rhawth99
6th Gear
Having purchased two MINIs from Princeton MINI, I can tell you that they will not deal. I tried to buy one off the lot on Dec. 30 and could not get them to budge on the price so I ordered one configured exactly how I wanted it. Princeton is a high income/high expense area and those that live there are used to paying price premiums. As far as their website goes, it doesn't get updated. Look carefully and you will see three 2005 MCS listed - I inquired about these last November and was told they were sold weeks ago.

Old 02-18-2006, 04:30 PM
RockC
5th Gear
Received 217 Likes on 182 Posts
Because most car dealers in the snow belt -- and outside of the very large urban areas -- don't sell car one when there's snow on the ground. (Even those in large urban areas might see a big slowdown. Watch the lots and stock of new cars for a couple of weeks or more to see if the cars are moving. Note VINs and mileages on cars. When you check and find the same cars still on the lot (using VIN comparison), if the odometers are unchanged, you know no one's even taken one for a test drive, and that's a good sign you can make a good deal on a car on the lot, or even by ordering one. Dealers like to move cars because the factory likes them to move cars. If you can't get the odometer readings take digital pictures and build up a photo album and take it with you when you scout new car lots to see if cars are moving off the lot.)

(Or even when there's no snow on the ground. Made a heck of a deal on an '01 Camaro Z28 (new) in Aug. '01 when my research found Chevy had over 200 days' supply of these cars. Normally, factories like less than a 60 day supply, at the most.)

At a Porsche dealer just south of KC Mo, I bought a new '02 Porsche for $5000 under MSRP in Jan '02, with a couple of inches of snow on the new car lot. (The car was stored in an underground garage at the dealer, along with a bunch of other new Porsches, Jags, Rovers, Mercedes.) I made sure the streets were clear so I could test drive the car.

Then in mid-March that same year, bought an '02 (new) VW Golf TDi (from a dealer just a mile or so up the freeway from the Porsche dealer mentioned above) for way under MSRP (when the word on all the TDi boards was no one was selling for less than MSRP!). Same thing. Snow on the ground. No new car buyers to be seen, 'cept for me! And me with my checkbook!

February is typically the slowest month for car sales. If you want to make a good deal, now's the time to buy.

Sincerely,

RockC.

Old 02-18-2006, 04:35 PM
chows4us
6th Gear
Originally Posted by RockC

February is typically the slowest month for car sales. If you want to make a good deal, now's the time to buy.
Not sure if thats true or not but there are many, many Washington Birthday sales specials this time of year. Traditional time for lots of sales.

I see it more the fact that many ppl want to order the car exactly as they want and not with the options the dealer ordered. I have no idea about Princeton ... But I know my dealer ALWAYS has, at least since last spring, many new cars on the lot. Maybe they turn over, maybe not, dont know, but they are there. Shortage of MINIs? not on the east coast that I see.

Quick Reply: $850 below MSRP!!!!!!!!!!