1st Gear New members: make an initial post and introduce yourself as you shift from Neutral to First Gear. Current members: meet some of the new members.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Demo purchasing question

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2005, 08:47 PM
sprp85
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Demo purchasing question

Hello

I'm a soon to be MCS owner (hopefully :p )

I've been searching for one that fits me and came up with this Demo MCS with 4000+ miles on it.
Because of it's December 2004 build of 2005 models., dealer quoted -$500 , and -$.10 per mile on the car since it's a demo. Giving about $-1000 in discount.

Well

I have no doubt about it's conditions or performance but I just want to hear your comments on this purchase.

Paper works gotta be done soon

Thanks.

Old 06-08-2005, 08:57 PM
dmeyer
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
personally I'd never buy a demo. Think test drivers respect the 4000 rpm break in limit?

Old 06-08-2005, 09:12 PM
sprp85
6th Gear
revvvvv~

Originally Posted by dmeyer
personally I'd never buy a demo. Think test drivers respect the 4000 rpm break in limit?
Well, I really don't believe in break in limit..
and the dealer is located in a city. so hard to rev.

Old 06-08-2005, 09:29 PM
chrisneal
6th Gear
I personally wouldn't go anywhere near it. It's going to cost you more than that $1000 discount if you have to do the clutch. Even the test drivers that do know how to drive stick are likely to have abused it, however inadvertently. You have to figure, for a city dealer, that 4,000 miles translates into at least 200 test drives, and probably the majority of those people stalled the car at least once and had some messy shifts to boot, just from being unaccustomed to it. And then there's the ones who haven't driven a stick in 20 years but want to buy an MCS, and the ones who just plain can't drive stick but want an MCS badly enough to try... No way a savings of $1000 is worth inheriting the results of all of that. I bet if you look around you can find a car with less than 5,000 miles that's been owned by someone who actually treated it well, and the price might be comparable.

Old 06-08-2005, 09:34 PM
sprp85
6th Gear
Thank you for your comments
Appreciate it.

the 200 + Test drives.

Making my head turn away.

Old 06-08-2005, 09:45 PM
04yellowS
3rd Gear
Most demo cars with more than 1-2k miles were probably driven by the sales rep or owner of the dealership. Ask them the history of the car. It's not the end of the world. What would you do if you were buying a used MCS? You don't know if the previous owner "ragged" the car. If that's the car you want, I'd go for it. But, $1000 off? It better be a better deal than that, otherwise get a brand spanking new MCS.

Old 06-08-2005, 09:53 PM
sprp85
6th Gear
Originally Posted by 04yellowS
Most demo cars with more than 1-2k miles were probably driven by the sales rep or owner of the dealership. Ask them the history of the car. It's not the end of the world. What would you do if you were buying a used MCS? You don't know if the previous owner "ragged" the car. If that's the car you want, I'd go for it. But, $1000 off? It better be a better deal than that, otherwise get a brand spanking new MCS.
Yup.
$1000, oh please..
O yeah, and the sales guy mentioned that it's been

'Sitting in the dealer's lot for last 3 months before they retired it'
Meaning, it's been test droven for 4000+ miles by customers. period.

I will contacting my local dealers / neighbor state dealers. VA, PA.
They seem to have few ones with options that I've hungered for.

Old 06-08-2005, 10:00 PM
MINIclo
7th Gear Gal
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Well.....if they toss in a BIG extended warranty, write into the sales contract that they will absolutely guarantee/warranty the clutch.....you may get be able to negotiate a good deal.

Demos, of course, are generally thrashed/badly-driven/mistreated. Buyer beware!

Best wishes and let us know what you decide.... :smile:

Clover

Old 06-09-2005, 05:00 AM
Tarzan
5th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Demo

My first drive in a MCS was the demo at Flow MINI. I began the journey shifting as I had in my previous 6-cylinder Jeep. The MA told me these cars need to be revved up much higher, and suggested I not shift below 4K RPM's. The demo was only 2 days old, and this is what the MA instructed me to do!

Of course, by the time my own car arrived, I had read the manual several times over, and watched the forums, and completely understood the break-in period. The same MA instructed me to be very diligent with the break-in requirements.

So, at least in that MA's mind, the demos are considered expendable. I wouldn't buy the one I test drove, knowing that.

Old 06-09-2005, 05:09 AM
SwingMCS03
4th Gear
My test drive was also at high revs and low miles on the odometer. No way I would buy a demo car.

Old 06-09-2005, 05:09 AM
vladimir
3rd Gear
If you were to return a car, the typical mileage allowance is set in excess of 15 cents a mile, (depending on your state). So I would think that a mileage allowance you are offered should be closer to that. Push harder.

Old 06-09-2005, 05:31 AM
Bahamabart
6th Gear
its called risk vs reward

i've bought dealer demos numerous times and never had a complaint! Its a question of incentive for you to buy the car! typically they can't sell the car as a demo if it has more than 5,000 so at this point they will let the car sit there for they do not want more miles on her.

1000 off MSRP? mmm - the formula they gave you was just a justification for the 1,000 discount - forget it - has nothing to do with reality. WHAT discount would make you say YES and offer them that! Worse case they say NO and you keep looking!

so think about a number and make them an offer - whats the worse case you insult a car salesman!!!

Old 06-09-2005, 07:43 AM
racerh
Neutral
Mini Order

Go to Mini of Pittsburg, they are not that far from you, are great to deal with, have a pile of Mini's in stock and I bet they will get pretty close to matching that deal on a new car. I ordered my Cooper S from them and got the the car for MSRP including shipping to California. It shows up tomorrow at my house in CA and I ordered it April 5th.

Cooper S, Purple haze, White Stripes, Sport, Premium, and the fancy wheels.

John

Old 06-09-2005, 09:38 AM
sprp85
6th Gear
in fact..

Originally Posted by racerh
Go to Mini of Pittsburg, they are not that far from you, are great to deal with, have a pile of Mini's in stock and I bet they will get pretty close to matching that deal on a new car. I ordered my Cooper S from them and got the the car for MSRP including shipping to California. It shows up tomorrow at my house in CA and I ordered it April 5th.

Cooper S, Purple haze, White Stripes, Sport, Premium, and the fancy wheels.

John

In fact, the dealer that quoted me only $1000 in discount was Mini of Pitt. And guess what,

the sales guy did not know that it was going to be shipped to CA today to another dealer but he offered me price on it and etc and I almost fell for it.

so... I don't know

I will buy one from Mainline mini at Penn, or Crown at Richmond. They seem to be offering better deals. Period.

Old 06-09-2005, 09:46 AM
Drsms22
5th Gear
How Do You Know They Didn't Use Regular Gas?

Some Salesmen And Whole Dealerships Put Regular Into Mcs Demos.
Bought An 04. Bit Of A Mistake And Had To Take Features I Didn't Want Or Like (except I Sort Of Stole It), So Get A New One!!!!!!

Old 06-09-2005, 09:52 AM
chrisneal
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Bahamabart
WHAT discount would make you say YES and offer them that!
"What do we have to do to get you into this car today?" That line always cracks me up. However, I bought my last car (3yo Geo Prizm) after I gave what I thought was a ludicrously low number in response to that question, and they ending up accepting it.

Old 06-09-2005, 10:10 AM
betet
4th Gear
Originally Posted by sprp85
Well, I really don't believe in break in limit..
and the dealer is located in a city. so hard to rev.
Breakin in the motor/engine properly is a MUST or long-term issues can happen... I'm sure the reasoning behind this is the fact that it's all based from experience ..

With that said.. a demo car , I'm sure has been abused just as many have pointed out... and w/ the managers using the car I'm sure they have pushed it to its limits.. When I test drove an MCSC I took it for a spin and had to test its power ...

Anyways, I would stay away even if they gave me an extended warranty.. just the time you would waste having to go back and forth to get things fixed would just get on your nerves..

But if they give you about $5K of incentives (either cash, or somethin), I would have to say GO FOR IT!! but for $1K less.. NAH.....

My $.02

///Gilbert

Old 06-09-2005, 10:25 AM
sprp85
6th Gear
Originally Posted by betet
Breakin in the motor/engine properly is a MUST or long-term issues can happen... I'm sure the reasoning behind this is the fact that it's all based from experience ..

With that said.. a demo car , I'm sure has been abused just as many have pointed out... and w/ the managers using the car I'm sure they have pushed it to its limits.. When I test drove an MCSC I took it for a spin and had to test its power ...

Anyways, I would stay away even if they gave me an extended warranty.. just the time you would waste having to go back and forth to get things fixed would just get on your nerves..

But if they give you about $5K of incentives (either cash, or somethin), I would have to say GO FOR IT!! but for $1K less.. NAH.....

My $.02

///Gilbert
Thank you ALL for posting ur thoughts.
The car is gone, deal is gone, the demo mini is out of my heart now

But New MCS' with options that I WANT is insight so I'm happy now!

I hope I will be pushing it as soon as possible. YAY!

Old 06-09-2005, 10:35 AM
eVal
6th Gear

But New MCS' with options that I WANT is insight so I'm happy now!

I hope I will be pushing it as soon as possible. YAY!
Glad to hear you are off the demo and into a new one - you won't regret it

One little bonus is if you buy a post Jan 05 prod date one you'll get the advanced airbags and other little upgrades they made then

Old 06-09-2005, 10:51 AM
sprp85
6th Gear
Originally Posted by eVal
Glad to hear you are off the demo and into a new one - you won't regret it

One little bonus is if you buy a post Jan 05 prod date one you'll get the advanced airbags and other little upgrades they made then
woooo

advanced airbags? and little upgrades? Curious George.

Old 06-09-2005, 10:58 AM
vladimir
3rd Gear
Good thing. Buying a demo is too risky. Same reason you would NEVER buy a used rental vehicle. Anyone in the business would tell you that, a rental vehicle is typically abused by businessmen etc., who have no regard for what they don't own- period. As long as you return the vehicle with no VISIBLE damage, really, can you not do whatever you want?? For the same reason I would not buy a used rental, I would never consider a demo/salesman's/manager/s car. Enjoy your wait and what you really want/deserve.

Old 06-09-2005, 12:01 PM
danielg
4th Gear
woooo

I just know one for use, that's MP3 compatible CD player. Not sure about the others.

Old 06-09-2005, 12:18 PM
Drsms22
5th Gear
Good karma for you. Get the car you want and live with the bliss.

Good karma for you. Get the car you want and live with the bliss. I can't tell you how happier I get every time I get into the darn thing. The universe lined up with all the good vibes when that baby was conceived. Its the only car like a Mac (especially the laptops). It has the special soul that no other car has. I got rid of a new Honda Civic Si because there was no love in the relationship. For some reason, in the city, the shift points are actually fun. In the Civic the shift points were never right. You can be having the worse day and the MCS will surprise you every time. One of the purely positive things in the universe. Go for a new one my friend and enjoy.

Old 06-09-2005, 12:18 PM
eVal
6th Gear
woooo

Okay, let's see if I can remember what production changes and options came in on January 05 produced cars..

- Advanced airbags; see Motoringfile here: http://motoringfile.com/2005/01/29/advanced_airbags
- Windshield fluid level light.
- Web spoke wheels as an option with sport pkg
- Anthracite headliner as an option
- Factory installed Rear Fog Light as an option (I think this was avail earlier, just putting it in as I am not 100% certain).
- Auto as an option.
- LSD as an option.

I think there were more, anyone?

Old 06-09-2005, 01:43 PM
sprp85
6th Gear
So glad..

I'm so darn glad to hear all these good comments Thank you all again.
and those minor tweaky things for late 05s sounds cool.

Well
If I go over my budget limit and buy the MCS I want and because of that, my life becomes full of debts, I will blame all of you.

Quick Reply: Demo purchasing question