1st Gear New members: make an initial post and introduce yourself as you shift from Neutral to First Gear. Current members: meet some of the new members.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Another new guy

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2019, 06:25 PM
ZeroLav
1st Gear
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Another new guy

Alright then.

Hi guys, I'm Zero. Bought my wife a 2011 MCS(N18) hardtop for Valentine's Day last year. We love the car and have put 80k miles on it since, including a trip from Phoenix to Atlanta and back. The car's been fantastic and we love it.

I'm having a little trouble now, so if you could link me to the right sub-forum here, I'd appreciate it.

Recently the stock vacuum pump fins disintegrated and we lost braking and, for some reason, the turbo. I replaced the vacuum pump without any issue and put everything back together.

On the initial test run, everything ran perfectly for a few miles so I parked it and went to bed. The next morning we leave for work and the brakes are great, but the turbo won't spool. I'm getting CELs for the O2 sensor circuit(front, if I remember right) and occasionally the thermostat circuit. Both these codes popped up very occasionally before the vacuum pump repair.

I've been back over the connections, hoses and lines several times and can't find anything where it shouldn't be. Everything is tight and looks good.

I keep clearing the codes, but they come right back. I'm going to replace the O2 sensor this weekend, and look at maybe doing the thermostat, but is there anything obvious I'm missing? Could this be the diverter valve, maybe?

Old 07-20-2019, 07:20 AM
ItsmeWayne
6th Gear - An Official NAM Greeter
Received 328 Likes on 309 Posts
Hi Zero, welcome to NAM!
It is a nice looking MCS! Congrats!
If you go to the gen 2 area, look at the stock problems are and you will find posts on that. A;so the hatch area.
I am guessing you meant 8Kmiles. These cars are so much fun to drive, but they can have issues!
I will venture a guess on the turbo: The oil line to the turbo gummed up, cutting off the lubrication and the turbine bearing went to hell. No guaranty, but usually when the turbo won't spool, this is the reason, but if it is spooling and just not giving boost, the waste gate may have failed (won't close)!
Hope you get it repaired soon! Don't want to miss out on the good weather!

Old 07-20-2019, 07:47 AM
Marc08EX
2nd Gear
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Welcome!

nice mini!

80k mi in a year? Where did you go lol

Old 07-20-2019, 07:47 AM
ZeroLav
1st Gear
Thanks for the reply, I'll dig around in the Gen 2 forum. We've had the car 17ish months and have, honestly, put 80,000 miles on it.

This is the first time I havent been able to get the job done quick and fairly easy. I wouldn't think it would be the oil lone because there were no ugly noises and, on the test run, she ran like the proverbial scalded dog. Then- nothing. I'll pull the diverter valve off today since it's cheap and easy. Hopefully I can find an O2 sensor locally too.

I'll keep ya updated.

Old 07-20-2019, 08:50 AM
ZeroLav
1st Gear
Originally Posted by Marc08EX
Welcome!

nice mini!

80k mi in a year? Where did you go lol
It's our daily driver, so to work every day. We go on our adventures around the state several times a year, and we went to central Georgia and back to Phoenix last spring. And we've loved every mile.

Old 07-20-2019, 05:28 PM
ZeroLav
1st Gear
Originally Posted by ZeroLav

I'll keep ya updated.
I pulled off the diverter valve today and it looks new, so that went back on. Stuck my finger in the turbine inlet and spun the thing. Seems to be moving freely with no play at all. I dug into my Torque app with the car running and the pre-cat O2 sensor isn't testing at all, so I'll be changing that as soon as O'Reilly's calls to let me know it's arrived...

Old 07-21-2019, 06:27 AM
Jim Valtz
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Howdy, name's Jim I own a 2006 Mini Cooper S. at issue is a rattle that happens ONLY when window(s) or sunroof is open, close all and NO noise. Therefore wind-oriented. Noise is on Passenger side & sounds like a blown audio speaker (which it is not)....any ideas?? Thanks much.

Old 07-21-2019, 08:44 AM
ItsmeWayne
6th Gear - An Official NAM Greeter
Received 328 Likes on 309 Posts
Originally Posted by Jim Valtz
Howdy, name's Jim I own a 2006 Mini Cooper S. at issue is a rattle that happens ONLY when window(s) or sunroof is open, close all and NO noise. Therefore wind-oriented. Noise is on Passenger side & sounds like a blown audio speaker (which it is not)....any ideas?? Thanks much.
Hi Jim,
Go to the gen 1 area. You will get many more answers there.
When the sunroof is open, I always open the windows a bit. It helps to keep buffeting away. Not sure if this is your issue.