1st Gear New members: make an initial post and introduce yourself as you shift from Neutral to First Gear. Current members: meet some of the new members.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

getting that mini spirit

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2019, 07:49 AM
rbaker66
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
getting that mini spirit

bought 2017 Clubman s on june 6th and came within a couple of hours of 2015 countryman yesterday. If only I had gotten up earlier and beat other guy to the punch on new online listing. I could then have a second car I couldn't drive at same time as first. :-) Those damn rare cars and price are already a motivating factor. Yes its hard to admit that I might lose all reason again soon. Maybe the mini cooper catch Alzheimer's early test will become standard procedure for finding out which of us is ready to go over to the darkside. I just turned 70 and there really isn't much more that could go wrong on the frame and drive train. The fluids haven't been drained forever and as jimi say there are tire tracks across the back. And there is always the electronics making lousy contact The leaky gaskets are bleeding the beast and I am looking into recall's .
if I get another mini should I be proud or finally have to admit things are slipping badly. Is there a addiction AAA type group for people with too much mini lust. why do I want to jack it up and snuggle under it for warmth and safety. . Is there an addon for a socket where I can show mini my love. :-) I'm too old for this, stop it already. why are all these old emotions making me leaky and needy. so its not easy being a mini owner? I thought women were difficult. Now I have new appreciation for women who gave up on me. No I don't think now would be a good time to talk about those women , if they had just showed a little more patience with me probably one of us would be facing man one now. I feel low just thinking about it. roll over, beg , are you done yet
well what happens in another week. Will my mini meet up with dark eyed German mechanic that will spoil her and try to ruin our relationship (with the car)
I can hardly wait to see what mini world will bring next week. Now I don't sleep 20 hours or more a day. I get up early and try to race people trying to back out of their parking space. What's the problem I always give them a second chance. good bye

Old 06-23-2019, 11:08 AM
ItsmeWayne
6th Gear - An Official NAM Greeter
Received 328 Likes on 309 Posts
Hi!
First off, this is the AA of MIni, so you have made that step. I too am close to 70. Life went by quickly for me. I always liked to have a sports car around, but life got into the way, as did poor health. I survived and one fine day, I found a 05 R53, the first generation BMW Mini. It brought life back into my being and reminded me of days long past. They are truly what is defined as a sports car. Are they fast? Well, they are quick, but that is not their definition. Sports cars are supposed to handle and I can tell you, the gen 1s are street legal go-karts and the bringer of youth! Soon, I found myself surrounded by Mini Coopers. I finally settled on an 06 MCS JCW. It defined driving fun! Being retired for many years, I did not realize ownership of so many Mini's and taking a wrench to all, would have a profound change in me.I worked on so many, to sort them out and decided to become a Mini reseller. I am a little worn out after my second knee replacement did not go as well as I had wished, so I tapered off from selling them for now, but I still daily drive them!
Is it an addiction? Maybe, but living in the twisties and exploiting their capabilities and a true handling (sports) car, gives me the desire to feel younger and the ability to exploit my life to that end! Are they the fountain of youth? No! but they are close!!!

I have owned many Minis' and still have three. I just can't shake the way they make me feel!

Old 06-23-2019, 11:48 AM
MrGrumpy
6th Gear
Received 241 Likes on 207 Posts
Well I suppose it could be a little of both. Your post made me laugh. I can fully understand what you are saying, lolz

Old 06-23-2019, 12:53 PM
rbaker66
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
thanks for great answer, A few weeks ago I would have thought this talk about driving a mini and bringing back a resurgence of youth was absolute nonsense. After driving my clubman for a couple of weeks I would have to agree with you. It seems to wake up parts of brain long dormant or at least not working like they use to.
I haven't worked on cars as much because like you I have had some health problems over years and now am now corroded :-) But that will not stop me from doing what I can for this car. I am even thinking of a few new tools :-) always room. :-) I live up in Olympia Wa, so we are somewhat neighbors. I find computers cleaner to work on and have read enough so I can do most things from dos to win 10 Its just that knuckle busting with cars that I can do with out. It will probably just take a test drive to break out the wallet.. I am easy
I already know I am going to buy one of the go carts at some point. Your comments might be the final push over the line. cu

Old 06-23-2019, 03:41 PM
MrGrumpy
6th Gear
Received 241 Likes on 207 Posts
Hey, I’m just up the road from you! In Marysville. What is it with broken down people getting into Mini’s? Lol, I’m still in my mid-40’s but had a severe spinal injury a few years ago. That’s mostly a joke, since I’ve been into them and wanted one when I saw the Italian Job, ha ha, so it’s been a while now, just never had the opportunity to get one until a while back. Good luck with the Clubbie, I really like the Clubman, I just do.
If you want to get in with a good group that does a lot of get togethers and drives, look into joining PSMINI, it’s the Puget Sound Mini Motoring Club. The club discount on parts makes membership worth it all by itself. 10% off at Seattle and Northwest MINI. And discounts with several vendors too.
psmini.wildapricot.org
you May have seen the sticker on a few driving around.....there’s a lot of members around Olympia and Tacoma

Last edited by MrGrumpy; 06-23-2019 at 03:42 PM. Reason: Spelling
Old 06-24-2019, 07:21 AM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Received 1,966 Likes on 1,766 Posts
Welcome, now you will start spotting MINIs everywhere.

MINI Guru/ MINI Owner Since 2004 | NEW Lifetime Part Replacement | Local Pickup
Milltek | Genuine MINI | Forge Motorsport | NM Engineering | ECS Performance | M7 Speed
Customer Service Hours: 8am-8pm EST|Sales Team Hours: 8am-11pm | SAT 10am-7pm 800.924.5172