1st Gear New members: make an initial post and introduce yourself as you shift from Neutral to First Gear. Current members: meet some of the new members.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Looking at buying a 2019 Mini - Advice Needed

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2019, 10:27 AM
michaelo
3rd Gear
Received 137 Likes on 92 Posts
Looking at buying a 2019 Mini - Advice Needed

Hello Mini Fans- this is Michael from New Jersey.

Looking to buy a British Racing Green 2019 Mini Cooper, two door hardtop. I am open to both the three or four cylinder engines and my plan is to daily drive the Mini to work every day ( 35 miles each way), With that said what would be a better choice; the three or four cylinder engine? I am not a speed demon nor do I go to the track. I am a casual driver that just wants something fun to drive to work and back. Next, the new cars comes with run flats and most people online say that say they are just terrible. Is this also true for a 2019 Mini with run flats? Has the technology improved making them better? Or should I just be prepared to replace the run flats with regular tires right away? How is it in the rain and snow?

How is the sunroof? Is it noisy when its closed? Should I get a Mini without one? I had a 2016 VW Beetle that I had to sell because the sunroof made a terrible whistling sound when it was closed that no amount of adjustment could fix.

Fuel? I read that Mini's require premium fuel. Is this true? Realistically what gas mileage can I expect?

Navigation option? Should I get a car with Nav (more money) or just use my phone with Waze?

Looking forward to the feedback from the guru's.

Thanks in advance.

Old 06-17-2019, 03:15 PM
USA-RET
6th Gear
Received 164 Likes on 127 Posts
FWIW, if you can find a Mini w/o a sunroof on a lot, I'd opt for that. Florida sun and a hole in the roof isn't my first choice. Whether they are noisy or not, I can't say. Many are happy with them and they seem to sell well. Have not heard anyone complain of leaks or noise, So your choice.

2019 production is done, so if ordering, you'll be getting a 2020.

I have not seen a 2019 BRG, as that was reserved for the 60th year anniversary model. You may find a early model (before the 60th ed was intro'd), but that is likely hopeful thinking.

I have the MCS w/ the JCW tune. I run premium. When I went to the "2nd date" @ Mini (most dealership offer an evening which they call a 2nd date where the service guy goes over everythng about the car, fields questions you may have after the purchase and things like fuel to be used and service requirements (our dealership throws in a free dinner with the 2nd date - I almost expected a good night kiss too But to your point, We were told to use 89 octane at a minimum and use Top Tier gas only (back in 2015). Not sure much has changed since then but who knows. BTW, I was averaging 36-37 MPG's with our 4 cyl and the JCW tune. Not too shabby IMO.

I expect with a 3 cyl, you should do better than that. Test drive both before you decide. The 4 Cyl is a lot more fun IMO and worth a few MPG penalty for it. Your opinion may differ.

We have the Nav in our 2019 and had it in the 2015. It's decent and works fine if you truly don't know where you're going. The voice command in the 2019 is very nice and really rather intelligent. Sooo, if you routinely travel to points unknown, get the nav, if you don't you probably won't use it, (although I did once to find a liquor store in an unfamiliar area...we all have priorities) but I still find it rather nice to have w/ the bigger screen and the extra functions that come with the larger display.. Again, your choice, no wrong answers. Plenty of folks prefer the phone and navigation it provides. I hate to have extra junk in car to deal with, so the integration is a nice feature for me. I'm an Android user, so there isn't much love sent my direction as BMW and Mini seem to cater to the IPhone herd.

Oh yeah, run flats. Many complain, I don't, they are fine for normal use IMO, regular non RF's will be a softer and quieter ride, but honestly the RF's are not a deal breaker for me. I replaced the wheels on my 2015 and will swap them out again to non-RF's and light weight wheels on my 2019..Not for the ride, but for the the handling and performance gains with the lighter wheels and tires. If the Non-RF's were as light as the non RF's I'd be running them on my light weight wheels, but they are not. The idea of being able to drive with a flat to a service station or home at night is a pretty big deal when it happens to you rather than rely on roadside assistance or trying to use a puncture kits at night in the rain....

Hope this helps ya.............

Cheers

Last edited by USA-RET; 06-18-2019 at 05:52 AM.
Old 06-17-2019, 05:29 PM
d2mini
5th Gear
Received 100 Likes on 67 Posts
I've had sunroofs in all my cars (well, most) and never an issue with any of them.
There's a screen that blocks out direct sun. Even here in Houston it's not a problem being parked outside all day.
One of those shades for the windshield and tinted windows does a lot more for you than skipping a sunroof.
Plus popping it open into the "vent" position is great for several reasons, letting hot steamy air escape during the summer being one of them.

Old 06-17-2019, 06:07 PM
cmt52663
6th Gear
Received 293 Likes on 222 Posts
Having owned and raced both the B38 F56, and the B48 (the Justa, and a Works car), I respectfully suggest you have a hard look at the 3 cylinder version given what you have posted.

1. The B38 performs very well - as well as my R53 Cooper S from back in 2004.
2. The B38 gave me 34 mpg, and my current car gives me 28.3
3. The triple was extremely reliable.

I do love my current hot rod, but that is not what you seek - and the triple was a wonderful purchase that I enjoyed very much.

Cheers,

Charlie

Old 06-17-2019, 06:29 PM
Blue R50
3rd Gear
Received 57 Likes on 47 Posts
As far as a sunroof in Florida goes, my R50 has one and I love it. What's funny is that I have one in my Prius C too and I never use it. I think the thing that makes it better in my R50 is that the roof meets the windshield farther forward of my head than in the Prius C and so it is actually visible and gives a much more open feel. In the R50, I rarely drive with it closed and only close up the car in the rain. However, I will say that tinted windows are a must! The heat coming through the sides is far worse than anything coming in through the sunroof when it's closed.

With regards to the engine choice, I haven't driven any MINI other than my 2005 R50 with it's 115hp engine and 2525lb curb weight. However, I will say that I do not feel that my car lacks for acceleration in normal traffic. I think the 3 pot is something like 2 seconds faster to 60 than mine, so I doubt it's a slow car. If you don't want to race it, consider the base engine. Better yet, rent one of each for a day and drive them through a service like Turo. It will give you a better chance to get to know it than a ten minute test drive with a salesman at your side! While it may not be cheap to do so, it is a decision that you will have to live with every day for the next few years, so getting to properly experience each car in your normal driving conditions.

Old 06-18-2019, 06:09 AM
USA-RET
6th Gear
When I test drove a 2015 Mini w/ a sun roof, the shade that was offered for that year was like a cheese cloth. It was porous and I could still feel the sun's heat through it. I understand the new ones have a better shade. W/ a sunroof you''ll lose head room which may or may not be an issue. Additionally, for me, adding the extra weight to a car so high was not something I wanted to do (since light weigh makes for better handling). Adding to my rationale, it was just another mechanical item that could cause issues in the future. From a cost stand point, deleting it I saved $850 off my 2019.

There is also an issue with some BMW 2 series cars (Mini is for all intents a BMW-lite), where sun roof were exploding for no reason. Not many mind you, but more than just one or two.

I mention these so you are fully informed.

Again, I have no dog in the hunt here. If you want one, get one. I've had cars with them when I lived in Illinois and in the winter, they did help warm the car in the winter and on spring days, opening so as to have some ventilation was nice too. ( back in the 80's) however of the two Plymouth Sundance's I owned w/ sun-roofs, one had a leak issue.

Old 06-18-2019, 06:52 AM
michaelo
3rd Gear
Received 137 Likes on 92 Posts
I would like to thank everybody for their input, it definitely makes all the difference in the world. I went and test drove the 3 and 4 cylinder versions. Both were fun to drive but I immediately felt at home with the three cylinder. What an impressive little engine. It has some real pickup and go! I took it for a nice ride on the highway and the local streets and not once did it feel short on power, in addition the brakes felt solid and the handling was superb. Definitely the most fun car I have ever driven. Even better than my Porsche 911. The run flats seemed perfectly fine by my standards. I intentionally hit a few bumps and potholes and the ride seemed very compliant. The sunroof was also very quiet and I really like that it is positioned where the driver can actually enjoy it. The dealer has a 2019 British Racing Green/white top / black interior for sale and I am 99% sure that is the one that I am getting. From what I understand the online configurator is no longer showing British Racing Green so I better ****** this one up while I can.

If all goes well I will be in my Mini this Saturday. Whoo-hoooo.

Old 06-18-2019, 08:18 AM
USA-RET
6th Gear
Originally Posted by michaelo
I would like to thank everybody for their input, it definitely makes all the difference in the world. I went and test drove the 3 and 4 cylinder versions. Both were fun to drive but I immediately felt at home with the three cylinder. What an impressive little engine. It has some real pickup and go! I took it for a nice ride on the highway and the local streets and not once did it feel short on power, in addition the brakes felt solid and the handling was superb. Definitely the most fun car I have ever driven. Even better than my Porsche 911. The run flats seemed perfectly fine by my standards. I intentionally hit a few bumps and potholes and the ride seemed very compliant. The sunroof was also very quiet and I really like that it is positioned where the driver can actually enjoy it. The dealer has a 2019 British Racing Green/white top / black interior for sale and I am 99% sure that is the one that I am getting. From what I understand the online configurator is no longer showing British Racing Green so I better ****** this one up while I can.

If all goes well I will be in my Mini this Saturday. Whoo-hoooo.

What a pretty little car, love the color combo w/ the grey interior...a real beauty....

Old 06-18-2019, 08:59 AM
Minnie.the.Moocher
OVERDRIVE
Received 570 Likes on 486 Posts
Good choice. I think the 3 cylinder probably works for most people. We had the 4 door version and it drove great and with 16" wheels the RF tires did not punish on the ride quality. My F56S with RF's are a different story.

Old 06-19-2019, 08:56 AM
Fairtrade87
1st Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Looking to buy a British Racing Green 2019 Mini Cooper, two door hardtop. I am open to both the three or four cylinder engines and my plan is to daily drive the Mini to work every day ( 35 miles each way), With that said what would be a better choice; the three or four cylinder engine? I am not a speed demon nor do I go to the track. I am a casual driver that just wants something fun to drive to work and back. Next, the new cars comes with run flats and most people online say that say they are just terrible. Is this also true for a 2019 Mini with run flats? Has the technology improved making them better? Or should I just be prepared to replace the run flats with regular tires right away? How is it in the rain and snow?

How is the sunroof? Is it noisy when its closed? Should I get a Mini without one? I had a 2016 VW Beetle that I had to sell because the sunroof made a terrible whistling sound when it was closed that no amount of adjustment could fix.

Fuel? I read that Mini's require premium fuel. Is this true? Realistically what gas mileage can I expect?

Navigation option? Should I get a car with Nav (more money) or just use my phone with Waze?

Thanks in advance.

Glad you are considering a Mini. I have owned 3. Previously a 2007 R56 S Coupe Automatic (Non Sun Roof) and currently have a 2010 R56 S Coupe Automatic & a just acquired last week 2019 F56 S Coupe 6 speed manual. Both with sunroofs

My only gripe with the sunroof equipped vehicles is the poor mesh shade the vehicle comes with. It allows all sorts of light & heat inside the cabin that will make summers unbearable unless you buy a custom cover or have it completed tinted dark.

Now onto the Run Flats.. I have noticed that during my years of owning Minis, Run Flats do their job. They allow you to drive a short distance in the event of a puncture. What I do not like is that they tend to get noisier as they get worn. Run Flats also have a stiffer ride.

Nice pic you have there! The BRG with the white really pops.
When I was at my dealer last week to pick up my new F56, they had 3 BRG Cooper S Coupe Automatics. Let me know if you want to check them out, I can link you up with the sales woman I worked with. I ended up getting a decent deal from her, I spent about 30 min & worked up $4k off MSRP.

Good Luck!

Old 07-09-2019, 09:51 PM
Imperial
3rd Gear
Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Thanks in advance.
My car is 2016 Mini cooper S, but I went to the dealer the other day about control arm replacement and was a day before 4th of July, so I kept 2019 Cooper S loaner car for ~5 days which dealer gave me Basically the same car as mine.

1) By comparison, my 2016 model has Hankook VentusV2 Convept2 tires(non run flat) and the tire tread is 60% front and 50% rear. I would say new run flat tires(Pirelli Cinturato P7 All season) on the 2019 loaner are much quieter, softer than mine. I really didn't expect run flat be softer and have a quieter ride.
2) The loaner had sunroof and I don't know from where I could hear the wind noise, but I believe it could also come from the sunroof - didn't like the noise, as mine doesn't have the sunroof and makes no wind noise
3) As for the fuel, the gas tank sticker is the same as on my car and shows 89 as minimum. I pour 92 in my car, as the price is only 10 cents vs 89. As for the MPG, the issue is that I drive mostly in the city and it is usually 25 for me and I tried driving properly for a few days. When I drive on the freeway, say when I go to my MINI dealer approx. 22 miles, then I can see 30 or above MPG - driving normally
4) I bought my car when it was a bit used, so I couldn't pick options, but I use my phone to navigate when I need. That 2019 loaner, had 6.5 inch screen, which wasn't touch screen and I was forced to use the controls down by the hand brake and it was a pain!

Old 07-19-2019, 03:56 PM
07PepperS
3rd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
@michaelo must be out driving his BRG !!