1st Gear New members: make an initial post and introduce yourself as you shift from Neutral to First Gear. Current members: meet some of the new members.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

About to jump into a MINI Countryman JCW...what should I know?

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2019, 03:33 PM
S1C EM
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
About to jump into a MINI Countryman JCW...what should I know?

Hi all! I hope this is the right place to post this, but if not, please feel free to relocate.

I have been considering a MINI Countryman for a while now and think I may have found the one. It’s a 2013 Countryman S ALL4 JCW edition. Mileage is a little higher than I wanted at 69k, but it’s a one-owner with a good service history and clean Carfax (and I know it doesn’t catch everything, but it’s better than nothing). And the price is better than anything I’ve found anywhere else clocking in at under $14k.

So, what should I know before I jump on this car? What are the most likely things that will need to be done in the immediate future and what can I expect to pay for those? I just recently bought my wife a new car (traded mine in on it) and took over her Honda Odyssey with 125k miles on the odo. Still young, but even Honda’s have expensive items like a nearly $1,000 timing belt service (already done). What will be my biggest issue? Will I be stranded on the regular? Will I pay the same for gas since I’ll need premium or will I save money over the 19mpg van? I KNOW I’ll have more fun, but that’s a given.

Tell me why I should do this. Or, conversely, tell me why maybe I shouldn’t. Btw, I also have three kids. Will everyone fit in the Countryman? If I buy this one, I’m having it shipped sight unseen. Can’t find a better one anywhere close by. I’m almost ready to dive in....I just need a little push!

Help me out here and thank you in advance for your responses!

Old 05-02-2019, 08:34 PM
Minnie.the.Moocher
OVERDRIVE
Received 570 Likes on 486 Posts
If you can do most of your own work, I'd be enthusiastic. If not MINI prices are high. Sons 2011 needs a few items done, dealer wants over $1600 for a few hundred worth of work in parts. Not even super hard stuff to do. Don't know how old the kids are, but it isn't really that large if the kids are getting bigger.

If your asking about saving money on gas, then a JCW MINI isn't for you.

Old 05-03-2019, 01:59 AM
S1C EM
Neutral
Originally Posted by Minnie.the.Moocher
If you can do most of your own work, I'd be enthusiastic. If not MINI prices are high. Sons 2011 needs a few items done, dealer wants over $1600 for a few hundred worth of work in parts. Not even super hard stuff to do. Don't know how old the kids are, but it isn't really that large if the kids are getting bigger.

If your asking about saving money on gas, then a JCW MINI isn't for you.
So, the kids are getting bigger (when are they not....lol), but I typically only drive the older two around. Our other vehicle is a Nissan Armada, and that’s the one we typically use if we all go out. This would not be the primary “kid carrier.” I need to be able to drive two around and three in the event that I absolutely needed to. I think it fits the bill for that based on what I’ve seen thus far.

As far as working on it myself, probably not. Some things I can do, but most I wouldn’t. I do have a good indy that I’ve found, so the dealer is likely out of the picture anyway.

And are you saying the gas mileage will be under 25? It’s rated for 25-31,I believe. I’m getting 17-19 now. Outside of it needing premium, how would I not get an improvement?

Thanks!

Old 05-03-2019, 05:30 AM
Minibeagle
6th Gear
Received 75 Likes on 68 Posts
Spark plugs should be replaced. They were worn out on the 2013 R60 JCW shortly after we bought at 78,000 km (49K miles). Ours has been problem free so far apart of having to replace the friction wheel assembly (part no. 11287598833) over the winter: the rubber on the wheel was disintegrating. It has a few minor electronic gremlins (menu joystick doesn't always work and the automatic cabin temeprature sensor randomly shuts off now and then) that I have to look into.

Old 05-03-2019, 05:46 AM
S1C EM
Neutral
Originally Posted by Minibeagle
Spark plugs should be replaced. They were worn out on the 2013 R60 JCW shortly after we bought at 78,000 km (49K miles). Ours has been problem free so far apart of having to replace the friction wheel assembly (part no. 11287598833) over the winter: the rubber on the wheel was disintegrating. It has a few minor electronic gremlins (menu joystick doesn't always work and the automatic cabin temeprature sensor randomly shuts off now and then) that I have to look into.
Good info! Thank you!

The Carfax indicates that the spark plugs were cleaned and the gap adjusted at just under 54k miles. Should I plan on dealing with them again soon given that it was done then? The rear brakes were serviced and adjusted then, too. I know the drive belt and front brake pads were both replaced at the dealership that has it now when they took it in.

Old 05-03-2019, 07:39 AM
Minibeagle
6th Gear
Received 75 Likes on 68 Posts
I'd just replace them. They don't cost much and are easy to replace if you have the socket to the job. regular plug sockets won't work so you may need to get something like this:
14mm Spark Plug Socket Thin Wall 12-Point Removal Tool 14mm Spark Plug Socket Thin Wall 12-Point Removal Tool

Old 05-03-2019, 02:58 PM
S1C EM
Neutral
Well, decided to pass on this one. I had noticed the last visit the original owner made to the dealer was for an oil change and to have the transmission “checked.” Called the dealer’s service department to find out why that was. She complained of “jerking” and “surging,” though the dealer found nothing. But she went on to trade it in only days later, so that’s a big red flag to me. I know MINI claims those tranny’s don’t need to be serviced, but I just don’t think that’s true. Spoke to two independent shops, one here and one there, and both said RUN.

So, back to square one. There’s at least one other S model I’ve found that I really like, so I may just pursue that instead of a JCW. Finding one of those in good shape with a good history and at a good price is seemingly very difficult.

Anyone have any thoughts or input on the regular S ALL4 models?