1st Gear New members: make an initial post and introduce yourself as you shift from Neutral to First Gear. Current members: meet some of the new members.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New R53 owner - questions up the wazoo

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2019, 07:35 PM
Island_Moose
2nd Gear
Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts
New R53 owner - questions up the wazoo

Hey all,

I just bought a 2002 Mini Cooper S for my 75km country road commute each day in New Zealand.

My other car is a Land Rover Defender.

My new Mini has 150k kms (93k miles) on the clock.

I'm getting my head around the car, it's generally in good shape but I got it very cheap, so there is bound to be a few things going on.

I can't seem to find any sort of tool kit, so I'm hoping someone sells at the very least an adaptor to remove the security wheel bolt.

My clutch pedal is a bit creaky at the end of it's travel, so unless the pedal itself needs some lubrication, I'm going to assume I have a clutch/slave cylinder issue. There is no clutch slip or chatter.

I've only owned it for a few days, but I've purchased my first parts for it, a pair of hatch gas struts...the hatch falling on my head is not the way I want to start this relationship.

In any case, hello to all...I'll post a heap of questions...

John

Last edited by Island_Moose; 03-29-2019 at 08:08 PM.
Old 03-25-2019, 08:42 PM
ItsmeWayne
6th Gear - An Official NAM Greeter
Received 328 Likes on 309 Posts
Hi and welcome to NAM, Island Moose!
Congrats on your Mini purchase.
If you go to the gen 1 area, you will find information overload for your model.
Ps. We like to see pics of your MIni!

Old 03-25-2019, 09:55 PM
Dan_in_WA
3rd Gear
Received 42 Likes on 37 Posts
Welcome! I too just got an ‘04 R50 (base model) with the 5 speed manual.

I don’t know what your security lock looks like on your wheels, but the time-honored mechanic’s trick is to tap an impact socket over the top of it, and you can take it right off. An impact socket is softer metal than a standard socket, so that it doesn’t split or shatter by the action of an impact gun. It grips a round, tapered “security” lug nut just fine.

Edit: I live in the US so there may be considerable differences between our cars, I don’t know.

The Bentley Service Manual I ordered came today, that sucker is somewhere over 1400 pages long! I’d recommend it, either new or a good used one from eBay or the like. It’s not cheap but it puts the Chilton’s and Haynes manuals to shame.

Last edited by Dan_in_WA; 03-25-2019 at 10:03 PM.
Old 03-25-2019, 10:09 PM
Anakist
3rd Gear
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Check the car thoroughly for the lug bolt adapter. Could be in the glove box, could be under the rear parcel tray floor around the battery. My car didn't come with one I bought one from a Mini dealer, cost me $23 West Island dollars I think. Mine was type 37, but I don't seem to have a record of how I found that out since my closest dealer if 7 hours drive away. If I find it I will let you know, but if you can drive to a BMW or Mini dealer they should be able to try the ones they have then you can buy one.

Lube the pedals and check clutch fluid. If you can, get the fluid changed and see if that fixes it before having to replace it.

Enjoy it!

James

Old 03-26-2019, 01:56 PM
ItsmeWayne
6th Gear - An Official NAM Greeter
Received 328 Likes on 309 Posts
They also make sockets to do this job. You can find them online.
Show us what type of lock it is using, as we may have an easier answer!