1st Gear New members: make an initial post and introduce yourself as you shift from Neutral to First Gear. Current members: meet some of the new members.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I had NO IDEA how FUN this little car is!

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2019, 06:09 PM
KingArthur16
Neutral
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I had NO IDEA how FUN this little car is!

I feel pretty lucky today.

I've spent the last few months looking for a used car that would fit me. I think most sane people wouldn't take that long to buy an 'economic beater', but I worked myself into analysis paralysis and ended up making what could have been a quick problem into a very long problem.

I think I was pretty much a victim of the groupthink like everyone else. I would see a cooper and just say to myself ,"Oh it's too small, and it's a girls car anyway.' It just says 'S' on it for the marketing dollar. What can a supercharger possibly do for 1.6l engine? And anyway, it's a BMW product, better to plant my money in the ground and wait for the tree to sprout than to be saddled with that thing."

As I was revisiting some craigslist ads I'd gone over weeks ago, I decided to take a second look at a 2005 light blue Cooper S that someone had posted awhile ago. After reading over the ad again and after just having dealt with some other cars on craigslist that didn't work out, I decided I should go look at it. Sure, it was probably not going to work out for my situation but mind as well go kick the tires. Who knows, maybe the guy was desperate to sell it.

Essentially I decided on the way there that yes, the car was small but it is a hatch. This is suited just fine to what I do, where I generally prioritize not having to bend over the lifting of something heavy. Other cars might work but this one would be fine. Yes, it's small, but it does get 30+ miles a gallon and I could just take the back seats out if I need more room. And hey, it's an affordable little daily driver. Maybe this wouldn't be a bad car after all.

I checked the car out thoroughly once I met with the seller and I was fairly well impressed. The guy had taken excellent care of the car. The interior was, amazingly, close to flawless. No smells, no stains, not even the drivers seat was ripped. The armrest wasn't even visibly worn. Everything worked, and I mean everything.

The front grille and condenser told the story of highway miles, like the seller said they were. The bushings, CV boots, clutch boot were all fine looking. The mechanic I took it to agreed. The seller make a big point of informing me that he had sprayed military grade anti-rust coating on the bottom of the car every few years. And that was obvious, being a Pennsylvania resident, any commuter car not treated would have begun to rot into the ground by 142,000 miles. This thing had hardly any rust at all.

Also underneath the car I started to find some things that surprised me.

"This thing has upper and lower control arms, look at that."

"What? It has independent rear suspension?"

" It has an electric-hydraulic steering pump?? What an odd little car"

We took it for a test drive, and I have to say I was shocked. I had no idea this little car was as quick as it is. I always associated mini coopers with girls cars. I thought the 'S' badge might have meant a different tune and a nod to a much superior car. I was quite wrong.

After driving the car it became very hard to hedge my optimism. I hadn't really had any fun driving in quite some time, and, well, this thing was practical enough and to boot it was also pretty fun. So I stumbled into what I now know is a late model R53 with a 15% undersized pulley.

When I was really impressed however is when I took it out on some twisty roads that I know well. It might seem sort of dramatic but I have to say I've fallen in love with this goofy little craigslist car. After owning horrible econobox after econobox, I forgot what it was like to actually enjoy driving a vehicle.

This car grips corners like nothing I've ever driven. It really is amazing, you just can't drive this car without smiling. I think it might be impossible. This car gives me an absolutely eerie level of confidence in corners. The level of communication between the driver and the road, as well as the steering inputs is almost telepathic. I do not think when I drive this car, I only do. The flat, progressive torque from the supercharged engine makes the powerband feel capable over a large range. The gearing encourages you to be 'assertive' and now that I've learned the car a bit, the gearing seems very intuitive. The torque steer definitely exists but it's controlled and generally doesn't bias to one side, which makes the car goofy and fun instead of being scary and dangerous.

Needless to say I've been completely had by this car. I spent a few hours today salivating over gofast parts, and I can't wait to put some high end summer tires on it. This car is just begging for good tires. At this point I don't feel like the car really needs any more power. It seems to me to have plenty of grunt pulling out of corners and that's pretty much what it's for as far as I can tell.

So I come to this community open to suggestions and looking for information. I think the most bang for my buck I can get would be to put on performance tires, get some performance coilovers, and maybe replace the suspension bushings with polyethylene bushings. This car IS my daily however, so while tightening the suspension is fine, I don't really want to make it ride a whole lot harder than it already is. I doubt I'll be taking this car to the track but I do very much enjoy pinning this thing in a corner. I'm already appreciating the pothole defenders that came with the car!

Anyway, that's my story. Not sure how this little supercharged riot clown car hid from me for so long. Glad I fell into it!

The following 2 users liked this post by KingArthur16:
KINGR2R (05-22-2019), Lilmags500 (03-29-2019)
Old 03-26-2019, 02:04 PM
ItsmeWayne
6th Gear - An Official NAM Greeter
Received 328 Likes on 309 Posts
Many have found out these quirky little R53s are a blast to drive.I am sad that BMW has continued to bloat the newer ones and has given up on the smaller ones! I daily drive an 06 MCS JCW and have for years now.
The truth: It was fun then and it is now too! I liked them so much, i bought, fixed and sold many! I have three right now!

The following users liked this post:
Lilmags500 (03-29-2019)
Old 03-26-2019, 02:22 PM
Oldboy Speedwell
6th Gear
Received 736 Likes on 521 Posts

A most excellent intro post!

Welcome to NAM.

I very much enjoyed reading your story.

I too fell hardfast in love with the R53 so I can relate.

HAPPY MOTORING!

Old 03-26-2019, 02:26 PM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Received 1,966 Likes on 1,766 Posts
Nice story and welcome.

MINI Guru/ MINI Owner Since 2004 | NEW Lifetime Part Replacement | Local Pickup
Milltek | Genuine MINI | Forge Motorsport | NM Engineering | ECS Performance | M7 Speed
Customer Service Hours: 8am-8pm EST|Sales Team Hours: 8am-11pm | SAT 10am-7pm 800.924.5172
Old 03-26-2019, 09:46 PM
dpcompt
5th Gear
Received 104 Likes on 74 Posts
R53s

Originally Posted by ItsmeWayne
Many have found out these quirky little R53s are a blast to drive.I am sad that BMW has continued to bloat the newer ones and has given up on the smaller ones! I daily drive an 06 MCS JCW and have for years now.
The truth: It was fun then and it is now too! I liked them so much, i bought, fixed and sold many! I have three right now!
It's funny that your comments about the bloating of the next generations of MINIs has been repeated by R53 owners so often. I first noticed this attitude when I bought my '08S. After that I noticed that many of the clubs in my area ( Northern CA) started to diminish. Today, the current clubs ( NorCal Minis and MINI and Mini Int) have cut this crap out and now their clubs are thriving. Just an observation.

Last edited by dpcompt; 03-26-2019 at 09:47 PM. Reason: change
Old 03-27-2019, 03:52 AM
ItsmeWayne
6th Gear - An Official NAM Greeter
Received 328 Likes on 309 Posts
Originally Posted by dpcompt
It's funny that your comments about the bloating of the next generations of MINIs has been repeated by R53 owners so often. I first noticed this attitude when I bought my '08S. After that I noticed that many of the clubs in my area ( Northern CA) started to diminish. Today, the current clubs ( NorCal Minis and MINI and Mini Int) have cut this crap out and now their clubs are thriving. Just an observation.
It is funny to me, that you are plugging that people are happy with the bigger Minis'. I was not dissing the larger Mini Coopers, I was saying they quit making the smaller ones. If you look up the new BMW's, you will see they are now making a very small car. Do you think there is no longer a need for smaller cars, or nobody wants them?
I have no problem with the newer larger Minis' on the market, as there has been a need for larger ones too! Many younger people have the need for a family sized car, they have kids, friends and a host of other reasons for them. My point is there is still a need for the smaller ones too!
Have you heard that Mini of San Fran has closed? Do you know why? They say it is from the bad reputation they got from the earlier Minis 2007 to 2010 (in particular), that had so many failures. In truth, it was the lack of people properly maintaining them, due to large maintenance costs to keep them running. It soiled the reputation of the Mini. They will never say it, but the Pugot engines were not tested enough for the American market, but it did fit their need for a affordable engine, so that BMW could maximize profits. I am sure they freaked out, that there were so many failures too! No manufacturer would want this to happen.
Here is the thing: the early Coopers 1960s to 1990s, were great little cars, but were never large enough for the American market, so in the 2000s, after BMW took them over, they came out with the larger 2001 (yes they made a few) to 2006 Mini's (R50 and R53) that could hold the larger Americans. It had great success, but constant engine issues caused a tidal wave of bad press for BMW. BMW also realized to keep the brand, they would need larger ones too! No argument there.
So in closing,if your Mini Clubs are telling you not to comment on all Minis' and edit the readers their freedom of speech, I would turn and run from them! I Love the smaller go-karts!

In no way am I trying to take over this thread! I am sorry if this has caused any pain. It is easy to misunderstand every posters meaning!

The following users liked this post:
Lilmags500 (03-29-2019)