1st Gear New members: make an initial post and introduce yourself as you shift from Neutral to First Gear. Current members: meet some of the new members.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1st Gear on the rev limiter... should i shift?

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2018, 10:50 AM
Johnny DemonT
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1st Gear on the rev limiter... should i shift?

Hello all,
I am an enthusiast in basically anything that has wheels, a motor, and moves. I currently have a 2015 Tacoma modified to my liking and a 2017 Mercedes C300 for the wife. Came from a 2012 Civic Si. My sister has owned an 05 mini base and now a 2018 mini base and I have had a soft spot for Mini Coopers since playing midtown madness 2 on computer!! I even used to have the initial newspaper article of the American release on my bulletin board in my old bedroom at my parents house and model mini coopers on my dresser.

Joined the forum today to research my next purchase for a fun car. I have a co-worker looking to part with an 09 cooper s super cheap with 127,000, clutch was replaced at 20,000 miles, valve cover is leaking, and I am waiting on the rest of the maintenance history but he has owned the vehicle since 10,000 miles. He wants basically nothing for the car I just need to know what i am getting myself into. I have some obvious concerns with the miles on the clutch (even though it does not slip) but overall I am reading up basically to see if a mini will be my next toy (lets just say it will not stay stock long and I may have plans to track it)! His may be the ticket but if not I will be looking at others. Car will be a DD for my 3 mile commute and that's about it, as the truck is my motocross bike hauler and the Mercedes is our grocery getter!... Plus a mini will fit in my third stall even with my dirtbikes!

So should I shift to a Mini???? Any advice is appreciated!

Thanks and can't wait to further tap into the well of knowledge on here!

-John

Old 12-04-2018, 11:24 AM
miniCPA
5th Gear
Received 145 Likes on 129 Posts
Sounds like the only question for you is: Why didn't you buy yourself a MINI years ago.

The early second generation MINIs had some issues that others will address. It sounds like you found a good one and with regular maintenance it should be a great car for you. The first thing I would look for in the maintenance records is regular synthetic oil changes at 5,000 miles or less, but again, others with more knowledge will follow.

What I am not hearing is that you have driven the MINI in question. If you had, I suspect your first post would have been something like. I was going to post a question about my new MINI before I bought it but as soon as I drove it there was no turning back.

When you get it, post some pictures. Welcome to the forum and in advance to MINI ownership.

The following users liked this post:
Johnny DemonT (12-04-2018)
Old 12-04-2018, 11:42 AM
Johnny DemonT
Neutral
Originally Posted by miniCPA
Sounds like the only question for you is: Why didn't you buy yourself a MINI years ago.

The early second generation MINIs had some issues that others will address. It sounds like you found a good one and with regular maintenance it should be a great car for you. The first thing I would look for in the maintenance records is regular synthetic oil changes at 5,000 miles or less, but again, others with more knowledge will follow.

What I am not hearing is that you have driven the MINI in question. If you had, I suspect your first post would have been something like. I was going to post a question about my new MINI before I bought it but as soon as I drove it there was no turning back.

When you get it, post some pictures. Welcome to the forum and in advance to MINI ownership.

I am kicking myself for never getting one but when I used to commute 90 miles a day the SI just made sense. It was cheap reliable and I put 75,000 miles on in 2 years and still got max trade in. It was the only vehicle I eve bought that was simply a point A to point B commuter vehicle!... and I did actually pull a jetski and dirtbikes with it.... little bit sketchy but hey it all worked out.

I think you're right... but I have driven it and have a pretty good idea it will be in my garage shortly... and if not maybe another one! I will have more info on the car shortly and have been reading up all day. I just am slightly worried about some of the issues with a higher mileage car but for my application it should be about the perfect one. fingers crossed!!

Old 12-04-2018, 10:05 PM
ItsmeWayne
6th Gear - An Official NAM Greeter
Received 328 Likes on 309 Posts
Hi and welcome to NAM.
I am a gen 1 guy, (02 to 06 with drop tops to 08) because the superchargers that come with the S models are kick butt fun to drive. I fast go-cart that is street legal!
Soooo much fun to drive and dependable if you maintain them. They are also the smallest and most fun to drive! Try gen 1 and gen 2, to see which one tickles your fancy!

Gotta love the size of the gen 1 Minis'

The following users liked this post:
Johnny DemonT (12-05-2018)
Old 12-05-2018, 03:44 AM
Johnny DemonT
Neutral
Originally Posted by ItsmeWayne
Hi and welcome to NAM.
I am a gen 1 guy, (02 to 06 with drop tops to 08) because the superchargers that come with the S models are kick butt fun to drive. I fast go-cart that is street legal!
Soooo much fun to drive and dependable if you maintain them. They are also the smallest and most fun to drive! Try gen 1 and gen 2, to see which one tickles your fancy!

Gotta love the size of the gen 1 Minis'
Thanks much for the advice! My sister had a Gen 1 non-s and I actually enjoyed the chassis of that car a lot and I had a green one as a rental for a month while in college. This is just what i feel is a screaming buddy deal I cannot pass on we will see how it works out. Planning my build out now as I should be picking her up as soon as he finds a new car.

The car is an 09 Cooper S Black and White, timing chain tensioner was done 40k ago, carbon cleaned, thermostat housing, radiator replaced, AC condenser, Manifold, High Pressure fuel pump @ 100k, flex joint, clutch @ 20,000 and needs the valve cover replaced (owner is paying for the parts at least). So basically of the common issues we have had most addressed except the vacuum pump is still stock, turbo oil line, and diverter valve. The clutch feels good as the owner currently uses the car to commute 45 miles highway each way to and from work but I am budgeting for that too. Car is sitting at 127,000 miles going up each day. Like i say, if it isn't this one I will be finding another.

Reading up on suspension, wheels, tuning, etc. My Honda was very modest for DD just eibachs, sways, drop in filter, downpipe, tune. This is going to be just a fun car!! So I can go a little crazy!

Thanks!