1st Gear New members: make an initial post and introduce yourself as you shift from Neutral to First Gear. Current members: meet some of the new members.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Another Black R56

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2018, 12:32 AM
09MurderedMini
Neutral
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Another Black R56

Hello Everyone!

My Mini is a 2009 S. All black (Or Midnight Metalic Black according to the paint code on the car) as my username suggests with tinted windows and black rims. At the moment it is all stock aside from the fact it came with a K&N filter 😭

I bought it just over a week ago and I’ve been quite shocked how fast I’ve fallen in love with this car. The look and driving experience are in a completely different league then the typical daily driver I had previously.

This week I’ve just been going over the car, figuring out what it needs first and then making a list of possible mods I would want to get and then hopping on this forum to see if people would or would not recommend a certain mod. As well watching almost every relatable YouTube video about my gen or similar mini coopers.

If anyone has any mod or maintinence suggestions I would greatly appreciate it!

Thanks for reading and attached are a few pictures of my Mini.

The following users liked this post:
Dannorth (08-22-2018)
Old 08-22-2018, 07:34 AM
miniCPA
5th Gear
Received 145 Likes on 129 Posts
Welcome to the forum.

Great looking MINI. The chrome strip and other small pieces chromed really makes the black stand out. Others, with more specific information will follow, but I will start with the recommendation that you keep on top of the basic maintenance, especially synthetic oil changes every 5,000 miles.

Old 08-22-2018, 07:44 AM
JABowders
6th Gear
Received 178 Likes on 166 Posts
Welcome the new family member.

Great looking car.... I just want to add some RED to it ...

Motor On!

Old 08-22-2018, 08:09 AM
09MurderedMini
Neutral
Originally Posted by miniCPA
Welcome to the forum.

Great looking MINI. The chrome strip and other small pieces chromed really makes the black stand out. Others, with more specific information will follow, but I will start with the recommendation that you keep on top of the basic maintenance, especially synthetic oil changes every 5,000 miles.
Thanks! I liked the Chrome accent pieces as well. Gives it some character and a little bling. Also, thank you for the tip! I wasn’t sure what brand worked best on the mini so I bought some Castrol Edge 5W-40 as well as a appropriate Wix filter. Is there another type of oil or filter you would recommend for my next oil change?

Old 08-22-2018, 08:56 AM
ItsmeWayne
6th Gear - An Official NAM Greeter
Received 328 Likes on 309 Posts
Hi and welcome to NAM!
Congrats on your Mini purchase.
The engines in the gen 2 cars like yours, have a tendency to carbon up the intake ports. Make sure to change oil at 500 miles and only use full synthetic oil and change filter every time.
Now, get out there and drive it like you stole it! These cars crave the twisties!

The Mini looks great!

Old 08-22-2018, 11:10 AM
Dannorth
1st Gear
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Car looks great! Looks like Seattle area is home for you? The black wheels are outstanding; I'm going to do mine - we have powder coat facilities here at work, so it's kind of a no-brainer.

Old 08-22-2018, 11:18 AM
09MurderedMini
Neutral
Originally Posted by Dannorth
Car looks great! Looks like Seattle area is home for you? The black wheels are outstanding; I'm going to do mine - we have powder coat facilities here at work, so it's kind of a no-brainer.

Thanks! I’m loving it so far. And yes, you are correct. I live out on the Olympic Peninsula so Seattle is the closest place I could find a Mini. Always a great excuse for a day trip. And I agree, I love the black rims, and they have Mini written on them which makes it even better. However, the previous owner got some minor road rash on the front and rear passenger side rims, but it isn’t horribly noticeable.

And very cool! It’s awesome that it’s right there at your work, no shipping them off or lengthy wait times!

Old 08-22-2018, 11:33 AM
Dannorth
1st Gear
Originally Posted by 09MurderedMini
Thanks! I’m loving it so far. And yes, you are correct. I live out on the Olympic Peninsula so Seattle is the closest place I could find a Mini. Always a great excuse for a day trip. And I agree, I love the black rims, and they have Mini written on them which makes it even better. However, the previous owner got some minor road rash on the front and rear passenger side rims, but it isn’t horribly noticeable.

And very cool! It’s awesome that it’s right there at your work, no shipping them off or lengthy wait times!
Seattle is about a 6.5 hour drive for me (at posted speeds.. haha). Ms. Me and I have been talking about taking a trip to Oregon; I have friends and family in Federal Way and in OR. That would be a fun trip, and a lot cheaper than in the Toyota FJ.

I work for a manufacturing company - really has its perks.

Old 08-22-2018, 12:08 PM
09MurderedMini
Neutral
Originally Posted by Dannorth
Seattle is about a 6.5 hour drive for me (at posted speeds.. haha). Ms. Me and I have been talking about taking a trip to Oregon; I have friends and family in Federal Way and in OR. That would be a fun trip, and a lot cheaper than in the Toyota FJ.

I work for a manufacturing company - really has its perks.
Seattle for me (Also at posted speeds) is a 2 1/2 hour trip if you include the 40 minute ferry ride. And for sure! I have been to and from Seattle twice now in the Mini but no really long road trips. Sounds like a blast! Also I can relate. FJ’s aren’t the most friendly on gas. My first car was a 1973 Toyota Landcruiser Fj55 (Wagon style, not the Jeep) with a converted 350 engine and an automatic Dana twin tranny. Also had a 4 inch lift with 33”s and a PTO winch. However as nice as it sounds, it didn’t run and I had to weld in new floor panels etc. Think my average was around 8 mpg. However your FJ is probably much newer and most likely gets a bit better MPG.

Very cool! I work in the Service industry so I am very jealous.

Old 08-22-2018, 12:16 PM
Dannorth
1st Gear
Originally Posted by 09MurderedMini

Seattle for me (Also at posted speeds) is a 2 1/2 hour trip if you include the 40 minute ferry ride. And for sure! I have been to and from Seattle twice now in the Mini but no really long road trips. Sounds like a blast! Also I can relate. FJ’s aren’t the most friendly on gas. My first car was a 1973 Toyota Landcruiser Fj55 (Wagon style, not the Jeep) with a converted 350 engine and an automatic Dana twin tranny. Also had a 4 inch lift with 33”s and a PTO winch. However as nice as it sounds, it didn’t run and I had to weld in new floor panels etc. Think my average was around 8 mpg. However your FJ is probably much newer and most likely gets a bit better MPG.

Very cool! I work in the Service industry so I am very jealous.
Service Industry, eh? Guess what? I'm the "Product Support Supervisor" here, so I can relate. On call 24/7/almost 365.

I would love to get my hands on an old 'Cruiser!

Yeah, the FJ does a little better than 8.. HAHA. I designed and had those side steps made at work. Powdered the wheels, nerf bars and the ARB at work, too.

Old 08-22-2018, 08:20 PM
AnOldBiker
4th Gear - An Official NAM Greeter
Received 145 Likes on 138 Posts
Welcome to the forum