1st Gear New members: make an initial post and introduce yourself as you shift from Neutral to First Gear. Current members: meet some of the new members.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Noob

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2018, 06:35 PM
BBside
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Noob

Hello,
Not an official owner. Actually shopping as we speak. May be heading to south FL to drive a prospective clubman.
I was wondering if anyone would mind sharing some first hand opinions on automatic vs. manual. I have driven only manual r53s and r55s. I am looking at a killer deal on an AUTO r55 and having reservations as to whether I will enjoy it as much as a manual. Am I giving up any degree of fun by settling for an auto? I have even looked into the Sneed4Speed mods which I can definitely see myself going after. The r53 I drove was heavily modded and I loved it. On the flip side id like to have the option to drive everyday or on a long trip if I so chose.
Opinions? Thanks guys
B

Old 04-12-2018, 12:15 AM
RB-MINI
6th Gear
Received 489 Likes on 408 Posts
As a modified R53 auto owner, I would say yes, I definitely feel the auto takes something away from the fun and immersiveness of the driving experience. I originally bought my car for daily use, but that lasted a short time and, ironically, the daily that replaced it is a manual which is a constant reminder every time I drive the MINI.

The auto is still fun to drive, but it’s always in the back of my mind on what the performance would be like if it was a manual. Also, although I drive in manual mode 99% of the time, shifting with the paddles is nowhere near as engaging as using a clutch and shifter.

I would go for a manual if you can live with it, especially because of the auto’s performance loss, being more prone to problems, and having a lot higher repair costs.

I don’t know how good of a deal the auto R55 is, but if you’re already having reservations it might be better to pass on it.

Old 04-12-2018, 01:06 AM
AnOldBiker
4th Gear - An Official NAM Greeter
Received 145 Likes on 138 Posts
Welcome to the forum

I agree with what was said so far. I've been a manual owner almost my entire life. When I was getting ready to retire I wanted new vehicles when entering the silver hair stage of life. Plus my wife had a bad knee and couldn't handle the clutch anymore. So we bought each of us an auto. Twelve years later and it was still eating my guts out so I bought a third vehicle (as if I really needed it), and been happy with my manual shift mini since. It's like heaven driving again.

Driving the autos was like siting on my couch watching TV. ... just didn't have the remote with me ...

Last edited by AnOldBiker; 04-12-2018 at 01:16 AM.
Old 04-12-2018, 04:41 AM
Minidogger
4th Gear
Received 78 Likes on 70 Posts
Just went thru this decision myself. Like Jim above, have arthitis & thought about a few months after the novelty of manual has worn off. My son has a Miata, so I can refresh that thrill occasionally.

We bought an auto & it is still fun to drive in sport mode. I don't have paddle shifters but can still control gear with shifter.

So the only thing I am missing is the clutch. I told wife I can install a spring loaded pedal if she wants that.

Summary, you can't go wrong either way. Drive both, think long term!

Old 04-12-2018, 07:12 AM
miniCPA
5th Gear
Received 145 Likes on 129 Posts
Only you can answer the Auto/Manual question. I drove a JCW Automatic and a S Manual back to back and walked away feeling like the manual was a sports car and the automatic was not. (I apologize to all JCW automatic owners - I am completely irrational in my preference for a manual in a sports car - I realize that a JCW automatic is a great car).

There is no rational reason to buy a manual transmission. I personally cannot shift faster in a manual than the automatic. I have not done any research related to MINI manuals and automatics, however, automatics are often faster and more efficient than manuals, however, the MINI for me is a manual.

My daily driver is an automatic due to an inner city commute, however, even this is subject to change when it is time to replace the 4 door sedan.

Old 04-12-2018, 07:43 AM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Received 1,966 Likes on 1,766 Posts
I would find a manual, especially if you mod it. You can get a performance clutch that can handle the extreme extra power if you go the sneed4speed route.

MINI Guru/ MINI Owner Since 2004 | NEW Lifetime Part Replacement | Local Pickup
Milltek | Genuine MINI | Forge Motorsport | NM Engineering | ECS Performance | M7 Speed
Customer Service Hours: 8am-8pm EST|Sales Team Hours: 8am-11pm | SAT 10am-7pm 800.924.5172
Old 04-12-2018, 08:33 AM
PokerMunkee
2nd Gear
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts
Go manual. Otherwise, it's a chick car! Ha! I keed. But I personally wouldn't own an automatic MINI, hell no. The 6 speed manual feels so good.

Old 04-12-2018, 08:54 AM
cyow5
2nd Gear
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by miniCPA
however, automatics are often faster and more efficient than manuals,
Only partially true - an automatic can surely shift faster, no argument about that. It doesn't always shift correctly though, and therein lies a major variable depending on all sorts of things. Shifter more quickly to the wrong gear will not make the car faster, and I have found many paddle-shifted autos to have a delay that negates the extra speed. Regarding efficiency, I know of no automatic that is inherently more efficient as a device by itself although they tend to be applied in a manner that is more fuel efficient as a total package. What that means is that, while CVTs or "slushboxes" tend to slip more (even if only marginally), they are usually tuned to bog the engine more and get better economy at the cost of speed. This does not mean the device is better, just the prospective buyer is less "sporty" and the total package is designed accordingly. This is also why recent manuals have been given shorter gearing than their respective self-shifting counterparts; the buyer favors revving and such over fuel economy.

Old 04-12-2018, 09:53 AM
BBside
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
All great replies. Thank you so much for the input. I read the first reply last night and I think that was enough to change my mind. But deep down I think a manual is the way. I am a former BMW e46 M3 SMG owner and loved that car more than life. But rarely used the paddle shifters unless 'class was in session'. Its my opinion that Mini's are a pure driving experience to the degree that you want them to be.... I want something I can take to the track on occasion too. So I think I have my answer.

Again, .. Thanks for the input.

On goes the search. R53, manual, sunroof, if anyone is selling... please NOT RED!!
Thanks

Old 04-22-2018, 07:43 PM
ItsmeWayne
6th Gear - An Official NAM Greeter
Received 328 Likes on 309 Posts
Manual all the way. I am 68 with rheumatoid arthritis and I drive my stick shift every day!
The stick keeps you young and prone to outbreaks of fun! Is this not why we get a Mini?