1st Gear New members: make an initial post and introduce yourself as you shift from Neutral to First Gear. Current members: meet some of the new members.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hey hey! In need of Mini help...always in need of Mini help haha :)

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2018, 02:33 PM
Melly Fresh
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hey hey! In need of Mini help...always in need of Mini help haha :)

Hoping to cure my mini frustrations with your help

I have a 2009 Clubman. I cannot get into it or start it. The FOB doesn't work and the manual key won't open the door. Its been a week. We have had extreme cold weather the last week so thought maybe that was the problem. Warmed up the key hole. Nothing. Our other car wouldn't start so we bought a portable car battery charger. Hoping that will work for the mini. But we need to get in it first lol. Is there a way to open the hood of the car without having to pull the release latch inside the car? Or any other suggestions??

Last edited by Melly Fresh; 01-03-2018 at 03:35 PM. Reason: More info
Old 01-03-2018, 03:04 PM
Rich Rodichok
3rd Gear
Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
Welcome to NAM. If you need specific help with a specific problem for your specific vehicle, try giving a little more info. Lots of people here willing and able to help with lots of things. First, it helps to have your car year, model, S or not, maunual or auto in your signature, then that question will not need to be asked by people reading your post. Next, instead of fposting in the MINIs in General section, post in the forum (1st gen, 2nd gen, 3rd gen)problems/issues or whatever subforum applies. Don't worry, if you don't know what generation, Rxx, Fxx, ask here, it's ok. Do some searching in the forums for issues you have that may already be answered. Then don't be shy. Ask your questions. Lots of Mini help to be had here.

Old 01-03-2018, 03:29 PM
Melly Fresh
Neutral
Originally Posted by Rich Rodichok
Welcome to NAM. If you need specific help with a specific problem for your specific vehicle, try giving a little more info. Lots of people here willing and able to help with lots of things. First, it helps to have your car year, model, S or not, maunual or auto in your signature, then that question will not need to be asked by people reading your post. Next, instead of fposting in the MINIs in General section, post in the forum (1st gen, 2nd gen, 3rd gen)problems/issues or whatever subforum applies. Don't worry, if you don't know what generation, Rxx, Fxx, ask here, it's ok. Do some searching in the forums for issues you have that may already be answered. Then don't be shy. Ask your questions. Lots of Mini help to be had here.
I did post more detail in another forum. Thanks!

Old 01-03-2018, 03:32 PM
Melly Fresh
Neutral
Originally Posted by Melly Fresh
I did post more detail in another forum. Thanks!
I posted in stock problems/issues. It's my first time here so it took me a little bit of navigating the site to figure out where to post. I do appreciate your tips

Old 01-03-2018, 04:38 PM
Whine not Walnuts
OVERDRIVE
Received 625 Likes on 554 Posts
Welcome to NAM.

Hopefully the Gen2 folks will be of help.

Old 01-04-2018, 05:12 AM
AnOldBiker
4th Gear - An Official NAM Greeter
Received 145 Likes on 138 Posts
Welcome to the forum

Old 01-05-2018, 09:21 AM
ItsmeWayne
6th Gear - An Official NAM Greeter
Received 328 Likes on 309 Posts
Hi and welcome to NAM!
Pics?

Old 01-05-2018, 09:54 AM
miniCPA
5th Gear
Received 145 Likes on 129 Posts
Welcome to the forum. Have you had any luck yet?

Sounds like the car is just too cold. It also sounds like it is not unique to the MINI regardless of the model. I would either try to warm the door with a hair dryer or wait until the weather breaks in a few days. It can't stay this cold for too long.

Good luck and let us know how it turns out.

Old 01-05-2018, 10:24 AM
MannyJimenez
5th Gear
Received 42 Likes on 39 Posts
Originally Posted by Melly Fresh
Hoping to cure my mini frustrations with your help

I have a 2009 Clubman. I cannot get into it or start it. The FOB doesn't work and the manual key won't open the door. Its been a week. We have had extreme cold weather the last week so thought maybe that was the problem. Warmed up the key hole. Nothing. Our other car wouldn't start so we bought a portable car battery charger. Hoping that will work for the mini. But we need to get in it first lol. Is there a way to open the hood of the car without having to pull the release latch inside the car? Or any other suggestions??
When was the last time you changed the battery in the FOB?

It’s odd that the key doesn’t work. The key is supposed to be the back up to the Fob.

Where are you located?

Old 01-05-2018, 02:25 PM
MiniToBe
6th Gear
Received 427 Likes on 393 Posts
if the battery is dead and you tried wiggling the key while trying to open it and it didnt work, try this method:

jack up the car, using the battery charger, place the negative alligator clip into the chassis and the positive alligator clip into the starter bolt. the bolt that holds a thick red wire.

as soon as you connect it, have someone open the door either via remote or manually with key.

Old 01-05-2018, 06:41 PM
Minnie.the.Moocher
OVERDRIVE
Received 570 Likes on 486 Posts
Originally Posted by MiniToBe
if the battery is dead and you tried wiggling the key while trying to open it and it didnt work, try this method:

jack up the car, using the battery charger, place the negative alligator clip into the chassis and the positive alligator clip into the starter bolt. the bolt that holds a thick red wire.

as soon as you connect it, have someone open the door either via remote or manually with key.
Positive first
Negative second

When disconnecting - Negative first.

Old 01-05-2018, 06:50 PM
MiniToBe
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Minnie.the.Moocher
Positive first
Negative second

When disconnecting - Negative first.
good catch, thanks :-)

Old 01-09-2018, 10:47 AM
MiniToBe
6th Gear
updates?

Old 01-09-2018, 11:38 AM
Rich Rodichok
3rd Gear
Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
the saga continues here:
https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...ood-latch.html
that's the problem with posting the same problem in multiple threads. People are trying to help but ....

Old 01-09-2018, 11:48 AM
MiniToBe
6th Gear
I knew she had few threads for the same issue but as many, was hoping for a follow up...to that link I shall go ---\__/---