1st Gear New members: make an initial post and introduce yourself as you shift from Neutral to First Gear. Current members: meet some of the new members.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Just bought Mini #2

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2017, 05:58 PM
Jeffair10
2nd Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Just bought Mini #2

A 2009 Mini Clubman S. 99K on the odometer, but a fresh chain tensioner and chain. Pretty clean inside and out too.

It is brown/black on the exterior, and brown/black and cream on the interior. My wife loves the color combo. Brown is not my favorite color, but I digress.
Has the pep of an S, and handles like it should too, so rock and roll.
One downer is that yesterday when I test drove it twice, in a 6 hour period, the air conditioner work as it should.
My wife took it this morning for some errands, and when she got back, told me the air conditioning wasn't working. And sure enough the compressor is not kicking on now. Not sure what the issue is, but AC is a must in a vehicle you can't drop the top in!

Speaking of that, here is the Princess, top down and ready to roll.

Attached Thumbnails Just bought Mini #2-princess.jpg  
The following users liked this post:
ECSTuning (08-21-2017)
Old 08-19-2017, 06:35 PM
GP193
2nd Gear
Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by Jeffair10
A 2009 Mini Clubman S. 99K on the odometer, but a fresh chain tensioner and chain. Pretty clean inside and out too.

It is brown/black on the exterior, and brown/black and cream on the interior. My wife loves the color combo. Brown is not my favorite color, but I digress.
Has the pep of an S, and handles like it should too, so rock and roll.
One downer is that yesterday when I test drove it twice, in a 6 hour period, the air conditioner work as it should.
My wife took it this morning for some errands, and when she got back, told me the air conditioning wasn't working. And sure enough the compressor is not kicking on now. Not sure what the issue is, but AC is a must in a vehicle you can't drop the top in!

Speaking of that, here is the Princess, top down and ready to roll.

Congrats!

We have 2 also... GP1 and a Clubman (Justa).

Maybe the previous owner hit the AC with a can and slighly overcharged it.

Good Luck!

Old 08-19-2017, 07:32 PM
Jeffair10
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by GP193
Congrats!

We have 2 also... GP1 and a Clubman (Justa).

Maybe the previous owner hit the AC with a can and slighly overcharged it.

Good Luck!
In fact it was major overcharged. I got a AC Pro can, pushed the nozzle on the low intake and the needle spiked to the red immediately. Luckily I had an exhausted AC pro can that I commandeered the hose apparatus from. Grabbed a towel, pushed on the AC Pro nozzle end, then pulled the trigger off and on til I got the needle where it belonged. It wasn't the magic bullet, but at least I know the pressure is proper.

Old 08-19-2017, 08:34 PM
ItsmeWayne
6th Gear - An Official NAM Greeter
Received 328 Likes on 309 Posts
Congrats on Mini #2, this seems to be a pattern with happy Mini owners!
The AC might just be something small. not enough refrigerant, blown fuse, fan system issue, or something worse, like a dead compressor, but whatever it is, it needs fixing! No air makes unhappy owners!

Old 08-20-2017, 03:58 PM
Jeffair10
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by ItsmeWayne
Congrats on Mini #2, this seems to be a pattern with happy Mini owners!
The AC might just be something small. not enough refrigerant, blown fuse, fan system issue, or something worse, like a dead compressor, but whatever it is, it needs fixing! No air makes unhappy owners!

Thanx man. We have named our new chocolate colored friend Pete, to go with our Princess.

I jacked Pete up today, removed the passenger side wheel and splash guard. It then became apparent the the air con compressor was not engaging, even with the AC set at max. So I researched a few threads here and elsewhere. That led me to pull the relay in the fusebox in the engine bay. I jumpered 30 and 87, but that didn't get the compressor to spool. I then shut the car off, and DMM'd plug 87 + ground and got a short. So according to this link

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...problem-2.html

..the coil in my compressor is not bad. I suppose something else could be malfunctioning in it though. The part that bothers me is that the fan doesn't kick on when the AC is on, either. So it is apparent that Stage 1 of the fan is not working, but I certainly hope the fan will kick on at Stage 2, lest I will have an over heating issue. < and that is death's door for an engine.

Old 08-20-2017, 07:29 PM
ItsmeWayne
Did you see if you could turn the compressor? They fail two ways (compressor) they are seized and will not turn, or they just spin free with no resistance.
They also will not come on, if there is not enough pressure in the system (r134A).
I would make sure this is all right, before thinking the dash switch is bad.
It is pretty common for the clutch to die on Minis and also for the compressor to seize too!
Folks need AC ! I had to fix two of my own. You can see the 06 MCS in the gen 1 JCW area, under just scored an 06 JCW.

Old 08-21-2017, 03:53 AM
Jeffair10
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by ItsmeWayne
Did you see if you could turn the compressor? They fail two ways (compressor) they are seized and will not turn, or they just spin free with no resistance.
They also will not come on, if there is not enough pressure in the system (r134A).
I would make sure this is all right, before thinking the dash switch is bad.
It is pretty common for the clutch to die on Minis and also for the compressor to seize too!
Folks need AC ! I had to fix two of my own. You can see the 06 MCS in the gen 1 JCW area, under just scored an 06 JCW.

The compressor is not seized up, but not sure there is the required resistance you speak of?

Is there way I can check that the Stage 2 fan will kick on without running the car up to temp?
EDIT** I drove it to work (124 miles) and when I got there, the fan did kick on, thankfully.

I looked through your mentioned thread. If is true that the AC Compressor won't initiate unless the low speed fan is operating, it very may be my low speed fan, as it was pretty noisy when we had AC.

Last edited by Jeffair10; 08-21-2017 at 07:20 AM. Reason: more info
Old 08-21-2017, 08:00 AM
ItsmeWayne
quote:The compressor is not seized up, but not sure there is the required resistance you speak of?

Is there way I can check that the Stage 2 fan will kick on without running the car up to temp?
EDIT** I drove it to work (124 miles) and when I got there, the fan did kick on, thankfully.

I looked through your mentioned thread. If is true that the AC Compressor won't initiate unless the low speed fan is operating, it very may be my low speed fan, as it was pretty noisy when we had AC. end quote

Hi Jeffair 10,
If the pressure is too low in the system, it will not allow the clutch to activate, so checking to see if there is enough pressure in the system, should be the first check. I think it is to be more than 50 LBS. This will trip the sensor that tells the clutch, it is ok to come on.

To test the clutch, there are several ways, but I like to cut to the case, by disconnecting the clutch wire on the compressor and putting power to the lead going to the clutch. When you put the power to it, you should hear it pull in.

There may be a way to test the high speed fan without bringing it up to temp, but I don't know, or remember how. I will say that many clutches go bad on these cars, as I have replaced several. Make sure to buy the whole clutch assembly, as other things go wrong with the clutch assembly, that are not dealt with, with only the electromagnet replacement.
Amazon is a good place to get them.

On my cars, the low speed fan often does not come on, but the ac still comes on. This seems controversial here with some, but both my 05 and 06 worked this way. I am not sure with 09 though.

Old 08-21-2017, 09:14 AM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Received 1,966 Likes on 1,766 Posts
Congrats, nice to find that R55 in hot chocolate, looks like a HC interior also.

MINI Guru/ MINI Owner Since 2004 | NEW Lifetime Part Replacement | Local Pickup
Milltek | Genuine MINI | Forge Motorsport | NM Engineering | ECS Performance | M7 Speed
Customer Service Hours: 8am-8pm EST|Sales Team Hours: 8am-11pm | SAT 10am-7pm 800.924.5172
Old 08-21-2017, 04:50 PM
Jeffair10
2nd Gear
I spent time today reading the "Low Speed Fan Resistor, must be a solution" thread. I will pretty much guarantee that I have a fried resister. The question is that when the high speed fan was cycling off and on - in the dealer's parking lot, that it didn't fry the AC compressor. I so wish I had read that thread prior to us buying Pete. Oh well.

Here is some more pics I took today.

No AC doesn't bother me, but this is to be my wife's, who lives with AC. That said, the immediate priority is to get the low speed fan working.

Old 08-21-2017, 08:45 PM
WayMotorWorks
Vendor
Received 757 Likes on 618 Posts
Congrats love the brown and the interior just makes it better.

HOTCHKIS | DDM | CRAVEN | AKRAPOVIC | NM ENGINEERING | MEGAN | FORGE | IE | OS GIKEN | POWERFLEX and more
The following users liked this post:
Jeffair10 (08-22-2017)
Old 08-23-2017, 08:38 AM
JABowders
6th Gear
Received 177 Likes on 166 Posts
Looks like a mobile Mocha ...

Looks Great.

Motor On!