1st Gear New members: make an initial post and introduce yourself as you shift from Neutral to First Gear. Current members: meet some of the new members.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Old owner/New owner

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2016, 09:08 PM
davidlundy
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Old owner/New owner

Hi there,

I totaled my 2004 MCS in 2008 by driving into a flooded underpass. After all this time, I am back with my "new" 2006 MCS, named Carmina Burana. Looking forward to learning more about doing my own work on my MINI, an area in which I am a total newbie.

Old 04-09-2016, 05:23 AM
Mini1011
2nd Gear
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Congrats on your new mini. I was in your shoes not too long back. YouTube mod mini. He has great videos and I learned a lot from him. Once you get going the mini isn't really that hard to work on. I actually enjoy it.

Old 04-09-2016, 02:51 PM
davidlundy
Neutral
Thanks, he's got a lot of interesting stuff there! I appreciate being given such a good source.

Old 04-09-2016, 03:22 PM
Mini1011
2nd Gear
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
No problem. Even if he doesn't have a video up of a certain thing your trying to fix, you can write him and he is pretty good at responding back within a day.

Old 04-10-2016, 07:46 AM
MiniRoadstah
5th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by davidlundy
Hi there,

I totaled my 2004 MCS in 2008 by driving into a flooded underpass. After all this time, I am back with my "new" 2006 MCS, named Carmina Burana. Looking forward to learning more about doing my own work on my MINI, an area in which I am a total newbie.
Welcome to the site! One of the best Mini names I've seen... Carmina Burana. I'm pretty sure Carl Orff would agree! Keep this one outta the water, and post some pictures.

Old 04-10-2016, 12:40 PM
davidlundy
Neutral
Thanks for the welcome, and the approval of the name, also a play on carmine for red, and car-mine (not somebody else's). Now I have to listen to the opera!

Old 04-10-2016, 03:26 PM
MiniRoadstah
5th Gear
I'm sure you've heard the tune before... once you hear it you'll probably recognize it. It's a good one!

Old 04-10-2016, 04:26 PM
davidlundy
Neutral
I have been laboring under the misapprehension that it was the opera being performed in Godfather III, which I now remember is Cavalleria Rusticana. Now that I've listened to O, Fortuna, and recognize it immediately, I will always feel like I'm racing down the street to my doom!

My best friend is a classical music critic for a large newspaper. I'm supposed to know this stuff! But it's just proof that my opera expertise is about the same as my mechanical skills. I know just enough to get me into trouble!

Old 04-11-2016, 07:40 AM
MiniRoadstah
5th Gear
I have been laboring under the misapprehension that it was the opera being performed in Godfather III, which I now remember is Cavalleria Rusticana. Now that I've listened to O, Fortuna, and recognize it immediately, I will always feel like I'm racing down the street to my doom!

My best friend is a classical music critic for a large newspaper. I'm supposed to know this stuff! But it's just proof that my opera expertise is about the same as my mechanical skills. I know just enough to get me into trouble!
Carmina Burana is not only a really great name for a Mini, it's also pretty cool Mini driving music. Poems or song manuscripts were found in the early 1930s in an old Monestary (established in 739) in Benediktbuern in southern Germany. Composer Carl Orff put these poems to music. It's said that the actual poems may have been written by traveling scholars, mostly about Spring time and things monks would be giving up in their lives. It's really more typical of what a bunch of young student monks that had been cooped up all Winter in a monastery would most likely thinking about and possibly writing down when temperatures finally warmed up and the deep snow started to melt off. The three parts of Orff's composition are titled: Spring, At the Tavern and Love.

The Monastery is still there, and I drove by it a lot, way back in the years 1974-1979, usually on my way to Garmicsh or Mittenwald, to go skiing, hiking or mountain climbing. It's quite a place with lots of history and continues as an active place of learning at the foot of the Alps. So now you probably know way more than you ever wanted to about Carmina Burana, and you can tell your classical music critic friend something about the history of this composition.

Old 04-11-2016, 07:41 AM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Received 1,967 Likes on 1,767 Posts
Thanks for the welcome, and the approval of the name, also a play on carmine for red, and car-mine (not somebody else's). Now I have to listen to the opera!
The union jack mirror caps look great with the Chili Red, congrats

MINI Guru/ MINI Owner Since 2004 | NEW Lifetime Part Replacement | Local Pickup
Milltek | Genuine MINI | Forge Motorsport | NM Engineering | ECS Performance | M7 Speed
Customer Service Hours: 8am-8pm EST|Sales Team Hours: 8am-11pm | SAT 10am-7pm 800.924.5172
Old 04-11-2016, 08:36 AM
PelicanParts.com
Vendor
Received 62 Likes on 59 Posts
Sorry to hear about your misfortune, but congratulations on the purchase of Carmina Burana! Do you plan to add stripes?

888.280.7799 | 6am - 5pm PST
Old 04-11-2016, 09:28 AM
davidlundy
Neutral
Thanks, everybody! I always like stripes... on other people's cars! For me, it's like committing to getting a tattoo. I'd kind of like to ofso it, but kind of like the car without. I have some old Altezza taillights I'll be putting in once the weather warms enough of r me to work on the car. Not really sure what other cosmetic changes I might do.

I'm glad to know more about Carmina Burana! Thanks for the info.

Old 04-11-2016, 09:31 AM
MiniRoadstah
5th Gear
Old 04-11-2016, 10:13 AM
PelicanParts.com
Vendor
Thanks, everybody! I always like stripes... on other people's cars! For me, it's like committing to getting a tattoo. I'd kind of like to ofso it, but kind of like the car without. I have some old Altezza taillights I'll be putting in once the weather warms enough of r me to work on the car. Not really sure what other cosmetic changes I might do.

I'm glad to know more about Carmina Burana! Thanks for the info.
I like that analogy! Good thinking. You could add a union jack decal on the roof instead of stripes to match the mirror caps if you wanted. But also like the tattoo idea, you'd want to think about it.

Old 04-11-2016, 02:12 PM
davidlundy
Neutral
Are these stripes magnetic, or decals?

Old 04-11-2016, 02:18 PM
PelicanParts.com
Vendor
The one on the roof? They're typically a vinyl (sticker type) decal. I'm sure you could get it made into a magnet if you wanted. Same goes with the stripes.