1st Gear New members: make an initial post and introduce yourself as you shift from Neutral to First Gear. Current members: meet some of the new members.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Thrilled to be joining you! 07 Cooper S 43K

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2014, 04:09 AM
stormborn
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thrilled to be joining you! 07 Cooper S 43K

Hi!
I've been wanting a mini for years so I'm so thrilled to finally have made the leap. Flew down to Tennessee to get her and took a road trip with my mom back to the Northeast.
I'm sorry to come out the gate needing advice but unfortunately buying in this way tends to commit you to a purchase. When I got there and saw the car, there were a couple scratches that were not visible in pictures, not big deal, it's an 07 so I guess to be expected. The front tires showed some wear, but also they are the dunlop run flats with the weird tread so I thought they had some life in them. The rear tires are practically brand new. With the very long drive home I noticed some things.
1) Somewhere along the line the front driver side tire formed a bubble.
2) The windshield in the top driver side corner has a small crack. It's in the black part of the windshield so i didn't notice it until my first pass clearing the bug graveyard that had accumulated in the first day of highway driving
3) I need new shocks and/or struts (?) I can hear one of them knocking when I'm hitting bumps.
I emailed the dealership, who had of course told me several times the car was in "perfect" shape, and they said, "Sorry your unhappy, we didn't know of these things". My response to that was hoping they would make good on some of these issues and: .....crickets.......
I know buying used cars can be a crap shoot, the car fax was clean and it had low mileage so I thought I'd be ok. I know theses aren't major fixes, but still I just spent my savings on the down payment so things are pretty tight right now and I don't feel like I should have to layout all this cash out the gate. Do I have any repercussions outside of shouting it from as many interweb mountain tops I can find?

All that said, I love my car!!! Thanks in advance for your two cents, see you on the road!

Attached Thumbnails Thrilled to be joining you! 07 Cooper S 43K-stormborn.jpg  
Old 04-24-2014, 04:21 AM
Mib4840
Alliance Member
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Welcome to NAM and congratulations on your new MINI. I'm not sure about what you can do about the dealer. Did they say what they were going to do to make it right or did they tell you to go pound sand? Did you buy it from a name brand dealer or Joe Smoes car lot?

Old 04-24-2014, 04:42 AM
stormborn
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks! Joe Shmoe's. They didn't answer when I asked and I asked nicely Update: I emailed again, just to clarify whether they were actively ignoring my request for remediation the issue. In the meantime I had to replace the front tires because the one with the bubble went flat. We'll see what they say.
The dealership is Carsmart of Memhis. http://www.iamcarsmart.com/contact-us

Last edited by stormborn; 04-28-2014 at 08:24 AM.
Old 04-24-2014, 02:07 PM
mini on
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Sounds like you got a nice low mileage S. I am amazed there are 2 rfts left @ 42k. Replacing those will make a huge difference to the way it drives. Dealers don't replace shocks on their used cars. And as far as the window just go get it fixed. Anyway get through all of this so you can really enjoy your new car. Remember you bought a used car not new. Good Luck Sounds like you did well.