1st Gear New members: make an initial post and introduce yourself as you shift from Neutral to First Gear. Current members: meet some of the new members.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

MC vs MCS?

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2011, 07:57 PM
Stranger in the alps
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
MC vs MCS?

Getting ready to pull the trigger on my first Mini. The S is so much more fun than the MC, but is there anything to be aware of before going the turbo route? Do they really get almost the same mpg? Is there additional maintenance? They both require premium fuel, right? Thanks for any input/advice.

Old 02-19-2011, 08:12 PM
amberback
5th Gear
They both require premium fuel. From what I gather, the S is a little more prone to issues and gets slightly less MPGs.

I'm very happy with my non-S, I don't find it boring at all. That said, I still might 'upgrade' next time.

Old 02-19-2011, 08:14 PM
onefish2
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
There are tons of posts here that answer all your questions. NAM is a great resource. Start reading. Good luck and make another post with a picture when you pick up your new ride.

Old 02-19-2011, 08:20 PM
Ive's Mini
5th Gear
Received 41 Likes on 25 Posts
I too picked up a non S, mine is an 08 with the sport package and I am enjoying it very much. I stepped out of a supercharged car and my other cars are all v8s and I really do love driving this thing.

Old 02-20-2011, 08:46 AM
Finner
3rd Gear
I couldn't decide S or not. Ended up without the S. I havent decided what I will do next time. It seems that 95% of the time the non S is quick enough. Also standard tires are non runflat on the MC. I'm sure I would be just as happy with an S...happier maybe. But I like the look without the hood scoop.
Like it was said, you can research and find out details about advantages and disadvantages of each MINI and decide what's best for you.

Old 02-20-2011, 09:02 AM
dannyhavok
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I almost traded up from a Non-S to an S yesterday. I took it for a test drive and the salesman suggested I keep it overnight while they looked at my car to determine trade in. Although it pulled harder in the straightaways, after putting it through it's paces on some twisties I didn't find it to be significantly faster. I thought I would notice a huge difference and be stoked to trade up, but I am returning the S today. I have to drive my car a little harder to get the same feel out of it, but for me the difference isn't worth the additional cost and gamble on maintenance at this time. The fact I drive more twisties and city than highway probably makes a big difference.. not a long of long straight shots.

I did like the leather sport seats though :/

Old 02-20-2011, 09:12 AM
DneprDave
6th Gear
Received 85 Likes on 77 Posts
An "S" actually has a lower compression ratio than a Cooper. You could get better milage out of an "S", if you were gentle with the gas pedal, good luck with that though!

I wanted a MINI Cooper S from the begining, so I didn't test drive a Cooper.

I can tell you that my Cooper S has been trouble free and hasn't seen the dealer since I bought it.

Dave

Old 02-20-2011, 09:46 AM
ufomini
4th Gear
Drive both, then go buy an S!

Old 02-20-2011, 12:09 PM
SMiller
1st Gear
I've had both. My first one was an 09 MC, manual trans. It got great mileage and had plenty of "ooomph". I traded it on a '10 MCS. The MC did all I asked it to do in the time I had it, but the MCS just does it quicker.

We're currently a two MINI family, my wife has a MC convertible (auto).
I drive them both and would be happy with either. Her's gets used a lot more when the weather's nice and we can put down the top.
Gas mileage between the automatic MC and the manual MCS is comperable.
Drive both and compare...either way, it's a MINI!

Old 02-20-2011, 12:44 PM
onetigerlsu
6th Gear
I have a Justacooper = non S . It runs great ! Good overall mpg . Yesterday myself and two friends put in three set of golf clubs put down one seat and took off for a round of golf . If you look up miniusa.com you can compare models . Its up to you . You will pay more for a S .
Good Luck !
El Tiger

Old 02-20-2011, 02:59 PM
howsoonisnow1985
6th Gear
JustaCooper will do just don't get CVT one.

Old 02-20-2011, 10:49 PM
Achilles honor
6th Gear
If you can't decide then go with the s.. That way there are no regrets later on

Old 02-21-2011, 06:12 AM
erickvonzipper
6th Gear
In case no one has mentioned it, there are a billion threads here on this very topic, and you'll find a definite leaning towards the S in all of them.

However, it depends on you wants and needs. I wanted simplicity and economy. While an S can be driven economically, whenever I was in one, I was looking for any excuse to mash the throttle. Not always a bad thing, but I know me, and the more powerful car I have, the more trouble I get into.

But in the beginning I wrestled with your very dilemma. What did I do? I drove am example of each. In fact, the S was a high end '05 that was intoxicating. I drove a Cooper later on, and decided that I liked it just as much as the S, albeit for different reasons. I've had my Cooper for 6 years and still love it.

Old 02-21-2011, 07:32 AM
romille
3rd Gear
The others have great advice. I agree that you should put both through their paces and see if the MC is what you want, or if you can't live without the S. I know that after driving our MCS, I tried out a MCC just to see if I could live without the S. It didn't take me long to know I would miss the turbo. I pretty much drove out one entrance of the dealership, and back into the next It is a personal choice though. Their are people that are quite happy with their justas and there are people that can't live without their S. I of course fall into the latter group. I just love that extra power I get from it, and I love the sound of the BOV.

Old 02-21-2011, 11:26 AM
Achilles honor
6th Gear
Originally Posted by romille
The others have great advice. I agree that you should put both through their paces and see if the MC is what you want, or if you can't live without the S. I know that after driving our MCS, I tried out a MCC just to see if I could live without the S. It didn't take me long to know I would miss the turbo. I pretty much drove out one entrance of the dealership, and back into the next It is a personal choice though. Their are people that are quite happy with their justas and there are people that can't live without their S. I of course fall into the latter group. I just love that extra power I get from it, and I love the sound of the BOV.
Yay deff forgot about that point. The mcs makes anyone who drives it look, feel, and act young again. So take a trip on the wholes side and see how it is to be 19 again

Old 02-22-2011, 05:45 PM
BensMini
6th Gear
Did you get the answer here? I think not, MC or S it's like color, it is a decision only you can make.

Old 02-22-2011, 05:50 PM
LadyGodiva
6th Gear
Good luck making your decision.

Old 02-22-2011, 08:44 PM
Achilles honor
6th Gear
wut did you pick?

Old 02-22-2011, 08:57 PM
cccplus
4th Gear
the extras $$ cost for mcs is just not only for the hp.

my first thought was buying an mc but i drove away with an mcs. the several $$g's difference for hp wasn't the main factor. the mcs has better front and rear bumpers, exhaust, and sports seats included in the price difference. these factors just make the mcs more aggressive and 'fun' to drive.

Old 02-23-2011, 12:00 AM
ftttuhzbmcs
5th Gear
I was scared of forced induction engines due to more possible problems due to more stress and more moving parts. The only reason I went with a Cooper S on my 3rd MINI is due to my Cooper having a hard time keeping up on MINI runs while in the mountains of Colorado. I could hold my own in the twisties but the straights and high altitude hills showed the Cooper's weakness. With the extra horses for the '11 Cooper, I'm sure you would be happy.

Old 02-23-2011, 09:54 AM
Achilles honor
6th Gear
Originally Posted by ftttuhzbmcs
I was scared of forced induction engines due to more possible problems due to more stress and more moving parts. The only reason I went with a Cooper S on my 3rd MINI is due to my Cooper having a hard time keeping up on MINI runs while in the mountains of Colorado. I could hold my own in the twisties but the straights and high altitude hills showed the Cooper's weakness. With the extra horses for the '11 Cooper, I'm sure you would be happy.
what club does these runs? they sound amazing

Old 02-23-2011, 05:24 PM
Stranger in the alps
1st Gear
Wow, thanks folks. Still haven't made up my mind. Will need another round of test drives to decide if it's worth it. Still worry that it's just one more thing to (potentially) break over time. Then again, the turbo on our Outback has never given me any trouble and it made all the difference!

Old 02-23-2011, 07:21 PM
onefish2
6th Gear
Forget the S. Get a JCW .

Old 02-24-2011, 03:35 PM
Jaque_Mate
4th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I think it depends on what year you are going with. I have a '10 S Clubman, that has been in the shop a few times. Each times I've had a '11 non S cooper and I must admit, the changes from my original '06 justa are present. More power and everything. Best advice is just to test drive all the possibilities.