1st Gear New members: make an initial post and introduce yourself as you shift from Neutral to First Gear. Current members: meet some of the new members.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

newbie contemplating 2011 mini cooper jcw

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2011, 08:21 PM
fedinand
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
newbie contemplating 2011 mini cooper jcw

Hello all, looking for some input...

My DD is a E92 335i - I have had no problems with it, but am looking for something smaller and more fuel efficient, and something a little better in the winter while still allowing me to have fun.

I was considering the 2011 mini cooper s, but don't know if I would be giving up too much in performance coming from the 335. I figured the JCW would let me get some of that performance back, while having most of the things I am looking for.

I'm looking to order one with most of the options minus the sports suspension - I have heard it is pretty harsh and this wold be my daily. I like to tinker with a few mods and would probably look at an exhaust/intercooler/ecu flash in the near future.

I hate loud exhausts, but love the free flow and appreciate a more subtle exhaust note - I usually add resonator(s) to most of the exhausts I have ever purchased.

With those criteria, what would you recommend…am I making the right decision going with the jcw vs cooper s? What venders and mods (intercooler/exhaust/flash) would you recommend? I did search and found information, but it wasn't recent or specific to the JCW. Thanks in advance.

Last edited by fedinand; 02-06-2011 at 08:30 PM.
Old 02-07-2011, 07:29 AM
harris69
Neutral
I don't know much about Minis, but I just purchased a 2007 R56 JCW S, and let me tell you that it's loads of fun. And, that is coming from a guy who drives a pretty modified E36 M3. Fun flipping car! Minus the torque steer which I am not accustomed to. But all in all it is a nice daily driver.

Tayyab.

Old 02-07-2011, 07:44 AM
03M1N1
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by fedinand
Hello all, looking for some input...

My DD is a E92 335i - I have had no problems with it, but am looking for something smaller and more fuel efficient, and something a little better in the winter while still allowing me to have fun.

I was considering the 2011 mini cooper s, but don't know if I would be giving up too much in performance coming from the 335. I figured the JCW would let me get some of that performance back, while having most of the things I am looking for.

I'm looking to order one with most of the options minus the sports suspension - I have heard it is pretty harsh and this wold be my daily. I like to tinker with a few mods and would probably look at an exhaust/intercooler/ecu flash in the near future.

I hate loud exhausts, but love the free flow and appreciate a more subtle exhaust note - I usually add resonator(s) to most of the exhausts I have ever purchased.

With those criteria, what would you recommend…am I making the right decision going with the jcw vs cooper s? What venders and mods (intercooler/exhaust/flash) would you recommend? I did search and found information, but it wasn't recent or specific to the JCW. Thanks in advance.
Get the 2011 JCW. You will NOT be disappointed, nor will you miss your 335i, while driving your JCW. If you like tinkering and tuning, you will love it (your MINI) even more. You can choose to creep around town while bringing down 30mpg, or put the accelerator against the floorboard and see "very impressive mph figures from the right side of the speedometer".

Last edited by 03M1N1; 02-07-2011 at 07:50 AM.
Old 02-07-2011, 07:52 AM
MINI Kapone
2nd Gear
Go for it. I have an S and can only imagine what the JCW would be like.

Old 02-07-2011, 08:39 AM
MINIGEZR
3rd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
No disappointments with my JCW, you'll love it!

Old 02-07-2011, 01:37 PM
fedinand
Neutral
Thanks for the feedback! Any vendors I should gravitate to or stay away from? Alta seems to have a comprehensive set of modifications available for the jcw, anyone else have the exhaust/intercooler/flash available for the jcw? I see tons of stuff for the cooper s, but less for the jcw.

Old 02-09-2011, 09:51 AM
LadyGodiva
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Give Way a call at Way Motor Works. He'll be able to put something together for you based on your needs.

Good luck, have fun, and...

Old 02-09-2011, 11:16 AM
mini_too
1st Gear
Originally Posted by 03M1N1
Get the 2011 JCW. You will NOT be disappointed, nor will you miss your 335i, while driving your JCW. If you like tinkering and tuning, you will love it (your MINI) even more. You can choose to creep around town while bringing down 30mpg, or put the accelerator against the floorboard and see "very impressive mph figures from the right side of the speedometer".
I too came from a E92 335 to a 2011 Cooper S and have no regret at all. Love every minute of driving it while getting as much as 40 mpg

Old 02-11-2011, 12:59 AM
BensMini
6th Gear
If cost is not a problem get the JCW, it doesnt need much in the mods department, just get rid of the run flat tires that it comes with. Drive it a while and see what you want to do it.

Old 02-11-2011, 04:38 AM
Island maser
5th Gear
I went from a 2010 S to my 2011 JCW. No sport suspension. Even going to 17" wheels from 16's the JCW has a smoother better ride. The torq steer has been elimated and I could not be happier. I was surprised how much better it rides than my 10 as I was expecting a firmer harsh ride. The Dunlop fun flats are way better than the Bridgestones on my 10. I will run these a bit more.
I was in 2005 challange race car with slicks last week and mine felt stiff and hard riding after 2 days in the race car. I will run it dead stock next weekend at Mini Thunder II at Willows to get a good base line on a stock JCW.

My struggle was mod the 10 or just go to a JCW. It was the right move. PS get MINI Conneceted. Love the system, skip the Nav and get a TomTom.