1st Gear New members: make an initial post and introduce yourself as you shift from Neutral to First Gear. Current members: meet some of the new members.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hi! (New member, New questions)

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2008, 07:25 PM
RobAP
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi! (New member, New questions)

Greetings, from Western NY where I have seen T-shirts that say, "Buffalo, a drinking town with a football problem"

I have been looking for that fun small car that really hits the spot. every time i shop for the solution i keep coming back to the mini. Of All my previous cars I owned, All the favorite features are in the mini, plus what i drive now is the only automatic iv'e ever owned (and its about to rust through the panels) so.....i need a stick....i need cornering force....i need to get out of my truck. i need something i can look at and say "im going to have fun today" every time i drive it. cant do that too much with a 12 year old ZQ8 s-10 chevy with rust spots. In shopping, I was hoping the awaited Ford Fiesta would be here soon....but it looks like they will loose a potential customer as it wont be here until 2010...if the 1g focus was any indication, the fiesta they bring over will corner like nothing else....but....it still wont have anything the mini has. Resale value, a REAL following of people who know what they're talking about more or less. complete handling with a good ride, unbeatable construction and feel, all in a package that you want to care about and take care of. it's a car that speaks to you.

So I have been thinking forever about this, reading for a long long time. i'm in a position to have something that i want once and for all. so im gonna go do it......now, i am a purist at the same time......N/A is the way for me.
however i am curious. this will be my daily driver. it works well in the snow right?....right?

oh and has anyone documentes here a list of what mechanical/production changes were made and when (like what serial number started the Getrag 5-speed, and when other chassis chances or improvements began.) that would be nice to view.

Old 08-18-2008, 07:31 PM
AutoXCooper.com
Banned
Location: Car Nut Since 1987, Owner Since Fall 2005, Vendor Since Fall 2007
My Just-A-Cooper is great in the snow, it comes down to the tires. If an extra set of winters is in the budget great, if not you may the Fuzion HRi works well year round like I have with great MPG too. http://www.thefuzionzone.com/hri.asp

Old 08-18-2008, 08:06 PM
tedswoods
5th Gear
Originally Posted by RobAP
this will be my daily driver. it works well in the snow right?....right?
Hey Rob--I'm betting my June-ordered, as yet unseen MINI will be dandy in the snow. From everything I saw here (try that search function in the upper right) and from what several folks told me, with a set of snow tires, the MINI's dang-near unstoppable. I'm really hoping they're / I'm right, 'cuz I'm just a bit south of you outside of Jamestown!

By the way, welcome to NAM! You might also be interested in the MINI Club of WNY:
http://www.activeboard.com/forum.spark?forumID=71633

Old 08-19-2008, 06:12 AM
RobAP
1st Gear
ah, JST that's where the REAL snow falls... im up in snyder a few miles from the dealership...it's teasing me when i drive past.
I learned to drive in another time in a 1st. gen Jetta that had similar balance and good grip too...and that was fantastic in the snow as well. (except for the 51hp diesel boat anchor it had....happens to be the mileage it got too.) Thats the car that got me addicted to cornering. Looks like i'll be alright, my main concern was the ride height and front lip of the factory body-kits. about the club, absolutely...once i get the car that is. I just have to decide on the options. ill stick with the all season tires/std. package and pick up some summer wheels later on, pretty much like everyone else is doing...

wealth of information here, and lots of kind people.
finally an automotive forum thats not a reality show in disguise.