1st Gear New members: make an initial post and introduce yourself as you shift from Neutral to First Gear. Current members: meet some of the new members.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My remote(s) stopped locking and Un-locking my doors

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2008, 05:08 PM
bergie07
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My remote(s) stopped locking and Un-locking my doors

Today has been a very bad day for me. First of all, I had to park my mini in the rain last night. Should'nt have been a problem, but it seems, unbelievably, rain managed to get past the seal on the sun-roof and into, get this, my rearview mirror. Yes, water literally started dripping from the mirror and not down the outside, but inside the mirror. I got to work and then discovered the remote would no longer lock or un-lock the doors. Tried the other remote, when I got home...ditto.

Has anyone every experienced anything like this before?? Does anyone have any ideas??

Old 03-31-2008, 05:35 PM
MIKE PREDINA
2nd Gear
Bad day for you-bad day for me! About three weeks ago, I had my MINI Cooper 2005 parked outside. It snowed overnight-about 2-3 inches and lo and behold, the next morning when I went out, the sunroof was open about 6 inches and the windows were halfway down, with some snow inside. I definitely did not knowlingly press the unlock button and hold it for the sunroof and windows to open, but maybe something pushed up against the button in my jacket pocket. Anywayz, I wiped out what snow I could and fired up the heater to take the moisture out of the car. In a couple of days, it was dry. Yes, I had water coming off of the rear view mirror, which I thought was strange. Some point in time after that-I don't recall if it was right away or slightly after-the remote stopped working. I just figured the battery ran down (after 107,000 miles) so, after a couple of weeks, I figured I'd get my wife's and check it. Meanwhile I got used to locking and unlocking with the key. You guessed it; her remote won't work either. I looked briefly at the Bentley service manual but didn't have time to go thru the 184 pages of wiring diagrams. I did find that there is a "Keyless entry antenna and module" but don't know where it is physically located-probably in the mirror. I'm going to Classic MINI in Mentor, Ohio tomorrow so I'll ask them if they know anything. Looks like you'll have to get used to using the key. I'll let you know what I find out and maybe somebody knows more than you and I do. Lotsa luck.

Old 04-01-2008, 03:15 AM
bergie07
1st Gear
Bad day for you-bad day for me!

Thanks Mike, I'm not alone in this. I agree with you, the receiver and antenna, must be up there. I happen to manage a Tweeter Store and I'll have my mobile installer check it out for me. It's funny, but when I got home from work, yesterday, I tried the remote and it worked. Oh, boy! Now, I'm even more concerned, there isn't anything worse than an intermittent problem. I called my dealer to make them aware of my troubles.