1st Gear New members: make an initial post and introduce yourself as you shift from Neutral to First Gear. Current members: meet some of the new members.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Newb in Sac-O-Tomatoes, CA

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2008, 07:59 AM
MOBEEBO
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Newb in Sac-O-Tomatoes, CA

Hi. I'm new to the forum. I have wanted a Mini for a long time. My brother owns one and loves it. I am trying to get my wife to warm up to the idea of me getting one.
So, I have been looking at used ones. What should I now about years, packages, problems, etc. Also, is the S worth it? I would like the extra power but don't you need premium fuel?
Share your experience with me please. Thanks.

Old 01-10-2008, 08:45 AM
goldcountrymini
6th Gear
Welcome to NAM... You'll find a ton of information here about 1st gen and 2nd gen. MINIs. I'd start by test driving a new MINI and let your wife drive it. That's how I secured a MINI. We had one for 2 years and then she bought her own. Now we're a two MINI family.

To answer some of your questions... S model is worth the extra power (for me). Around Sac, it costs about $40 to fill up the tank on premium fuel. The wife and I both have Sport and Premium packages which work well for us. She has a cabrio (2006) and I have the hardtop (2004). We bought both of our MINIs at Niello MINI. Let me know if you have any questions.

Old 01-10-2008, 12:41 PM
Gromit801
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You must have been a Herb Caen reader to use Sackatomatos. He was such a twit sometimes, considering he was born and raised in Sacramento.

Old 01-10-2008, 01:03 PM
aldoushett
1st Gear
The S is totally worth it, it makes a fun car a super fun car. As far as the packages and options go, they are very subjective. Some packages that i would never buy such as the cold weather are a necessity to others, and options that i wouldn't want to live without others hate. That is the great thing about a mini it is so personal to every driver. Whatever packages and options you want, go for it. Ultimately it is your car and get the options you want, and try not to settle you'll be happier in the long run. My fiance and I both have minis and they are about as different as can be, and we love them both.

Old 01-10-2008, 08:02 PM
Donna/Mike
Sand Dollar Collector
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I think you should BOTH test drive both models....it's such a personal choice. Then you won't 2nd guess your ultimate decision.

Donna

Old 01-12-2008, 10:39 PM
MOBEEBO
Neutral
Originally Posted by goldcountrymini
Welcome to NAM... You'll find a ton of information here about 1st gen and 2nd gen. MINIs. I'd start by test driving a new MINI and let your wife drive it. That's how I secured a MINI. We had one for 2 years and then she bought her own. Now we're a two MINI family.

To answer some of your questions... S model is worth the extra power (for me). Around Sac, it costs about $40 to fill up the tank on premium fuel. The wife and I both have Sport and Premium packages which work well for us. She has a cabrio (2006) and I have the hardtop (2004). We bought both of our MINIs at Niello MINI. Let me know if you have any questions.
Thanks for the info. So what should I know when shopping for a used Mini? Wise to go to Niello or private party? What kind of mileage do you get from a full tank? What kind of prices am I looking at for an S? Sorry about all the questions but I am a newb!