Tires, Wheels, & Brakes Discussion about wheels, tires, and brakes for the new MINI.

Rota RB's (16X7) in gunmetal, 3 out of 4 ain't bad!

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2007, 06:58 PM
emsjr
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rota RB's (16X7) in gunmetal, 3 out of 4 ain't bad!

Well, I received my Rota RB's in royal gunmetal Tuesday, first impression WOW!, but then reality set in. After closely going over everything, it seemed as if there was a paint shortage on 2 of the 4 center caps There was coverage, but not the finished wet look as were on the other caps and the wheels. Called 18Racing, they have to order new ones, should take a month.

So, off the wheels and new Pilot Sports went to the wheel shop, (very good friend of mine who races in SCCA). I get a call tonight at 8:50, well 3 out of 4 are great, mounted right up and balanced perfectly. He said the other one almost looked like a tire had been mounted on it before and it was bent I called 18Racing and Jessica was very understanding and kind, but was going to have to get back to me to see what they can do about getting the wheel back and sending me a new one. I certainly did not get the impression it will be an issue, but now this means screwing around with this for another week until the wheels are on. Talk about a buzz kill!

I was throwing this out to see what experiences others had with Rota's and 18Racing. Please don't get me wrong, so far Jessica has been first rate, it's just I am PO'd because I was really excited about everything. It was my first set of after market wheels since Crager SS's back in the early 70's!

Gene

Old 06-07-2007, 08:22 PM
JT MINI
2nd Gear
Gene,

Sorry to hear your experience with 18racing/wheel issue but at same time its great to hear they honor their words as far as return policy/exchange goes. 18racing should do inspection of all the wheels before shipping to customers to avoid further delays and hassle of shipping not too mention, upset other customers in near future.

Anyway, with the problems you encountered, can you tell us if the wheels fit perfect on a Mini? Second, did you get a chance to at least take a pic of the wheel(s) on your car?

Old 06-07-2007, 08:31 PM
emsjr
3rd Gear
Yes and no

I test fit a wheel that I unpacked and all seemed just fine. Hub was perfect fit and plenty of room around brakes (stock S). Once I get all of the wheels and tires mounted I will post pics (hopefully mid to late next week )

Gene

Last edited by emsjr; 06-07-2007 at 08:32 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 06-08-2007, 08:23 AM
emsjr
3rd Gear
Wheel pic.....

Well, I picked up two of the three wheels my buddy mounted (he wants to try and balance the other again just to make it perfect) and the bent wheel. He spun the wheel this morning to show me, and it certainly was very noticable. Still did not receive the email with the shipping label from 18racing I was promised last night (a bit concerned over that) but I'll see today.

The advice of my buddy was to probably order a fifth wheel any way so in 2 years from now if they stop making them I will have a back up if something were to happen to mine.

Attached is a pic of the wheel with the mounted Pilot Sport.

Gene

Attached Thumbnails Rota RB's (16X7) in gunmetal, 3 out of 4 ain't bad!-rb-wheel-pic.jpg  
Old 06-08-2007, 09:05 AM
pauliekeys
5th Gear
When I bought my Slipstreams, I too went over them with a fine tooth comb. I was pretty happy with the finish but I could see that the paint was a bit thin where the wheel is stamp with some type of code. Because they were going to be used for auto X and were inexpensive to begin with, I let it go. When it came to buying them,I decided to buy the wheels in town instead of getting them mail order for the very reason of what's happening to you. I had bought a set of Motegi's a year before on line and UPS thrashed them and although the company (back east) replaced them, It took two months from start to finish . It took the wind out of my sail to say the least. I hope this mess get's taken care of quickly and we get pictures soon. I really like the look of the RB's and look forward to seeing them mounted on your car.

Old 06-08-2007, 09:29 AM
blue32
1st Gear
My set of 16x7 RB in silver arrived last night. But they (18Racing) sent wheels with the incorrect hub bore (67 instead of 56). Jessica was very helpful and now I too am waiting for shipping labels so I can send them back in exchange for the proper size I ordered originally.

Old 06-08-2007, 09:40 AM
JT MINI
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by emsjr
Well, I picked up two of the three wheels my buddy mounted (he wants to try and balance the other again just to make it perfect) and the bent wheel. He spun the wheel this morning to show me, and it certainly was very noticable. Still did not receive the email with the shipping label from 18racing I was promised last night (a bit concerned over that) but I'll see today.

The advice of my buddy was to probably order a fifth wheel any way so in 2 years from now if they stop making them I will have a back up if something were to happen to mine.

Attached is a pic of the wheel with the mounted Pilot Sport.

Gene
The wheel looks great! And looks like it's has a nice deep dish look to it.

I guess I'll tell Jessica no need to take my car to their facility (for photo sample with 16s) since you will have the wheels mounted/rolling on your car by early next week.

Thanks!

Old 06-08-2007, 11:37 AM
emsjr
3rd Gear
Jessica Rocks!!!

They (18Racing) are picking up the tab on UPS Select Air and are shipping out 2 (ordered spare) wheels this afternoon. I can't ask for more then that. They opened at 10 (west coast time) and I got a call at 10:05. She also was going to try and include (2) extra center caps if they have them.

I've calmed down, will have to wait until Weds. now, but by Thurs. or Fri. I should be good to roll and I'll post pics. Thanks for letting me vent earlier.

Gene

Old 06-08-2007, 11:43 AM
fishbulb
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
sorry to hear abotu the hassle - that shot does look gerat!

-jac